Appropriate dress for tour.

I wore a red nike gold shirt, white shorts, and sandals. The ATM told me thats the last time I would get to dress like that while in the building. :buck:

Women, and men, did you wear a suit? More casual wear? What would be most appropriate?

I wore business attire. Dress pants, button up collared shirt, and dress shoes. I left the top 2 buttons undone on the shirt, with no tie. I rolled my sleeves up too.

I'd say dont go dressed any less than the controllers is a good rule of thumb.

I wore a red nike gold shirt, white shorts, and sandals. The ATM told me thats the last time I would get to dress like that while in the building. :buck:

Nice way to set a first impression...:confused:

Really dont think it matters at all. My wife is in Tech Ops and called over and got the number and asked if she could bring me in for a tour. She had on her work clothes and that is just what I had on. I was just visiting I dont think they really cared what I had on but I probably would not go in there looking like a bum but then again I really wouldnt go anywhere looking like that. The first impression is a bunch of bull the ATM is probably more interested in how hard you are gonna work when you get there and not what you wore when you came to tour the facility.

The first impression is a bunch of bull the ATM is probably more interested in how hard you are gonna work when you get there and not what you wore when you came to tour the facility.

Actually it is very important. If I see you come in to my TRACON, not as Joe schmo pilot coming for a tour, but as a potential employee and you can't be bothered to at least but a pair of pants on and a golf shirt the first thing I am thinking is lack of respect for me and what I do and second, that you are lazy. But I'm old, as I have been told by some on here, and maybe old school...you guys do what you want, I am leaving the National Airspace System to you, you guys do with it what you want.

Actually it is very important. If I see you come in to my TRACON, not as Joe schmo pilot coming for a tour, but as a potential employee and you can't be bothered to at least but a pair of pants on and a golf shirt the first thing I am thinking is lack of respect for me and what I do and second, that you are lazy. But I'm old, as I have been told by some on here, and maybe old school...you guys do what you want, I am leaving the National Airspace System to you, you guys do with it what you want.

Thank you for this.

Of course, I planned to go in dressed as impeccably as possible (for such a special opportunity), but I still didn't want to over-dress, and be perceived as too pretentious, or presumptuous.

I dressed business casual. Slacks, polo shirt and my usual work shoes. Basically, the same thing I've been wearing to work for the past 8 years.

I have a friend who is an atc at a class d tower. She has been very helpful to me over the last few years (we became friends because I was the fuel truck on field so we got to know each others voices, and then she would come down on her breaks) and when things started clicking into place I called and asked for a tour. She said of course and when I went I dressed in dress pants and a button up shirt with the top button undone w/ no tie. She was very impressed and commented that that shows a nice level of courtesy and attested to my professionalism. You'd be surprised how a little and seemingly insignificant effort can go a long way........

I have a friend who is an atc at a class d tower. She has been very helpful to me over the last few years (we became friends because I was the fuel truck on field so we got to know each others voices, and then she would come down on her breaks) and when things started clicking into place I called and asked for a tour. She said of course and when I went I dressed in dress pants and a button up shirt with the top button undone w/ no tie. She was very impressed and commented that that shows a nice level of courtesy and attested to my professionalism. You'd be surprised how a little and seemingly insignificant effort can go a long way........

Did you get her number???:panic::laff:

I applaud you sir! :drool: I'm "young" and think like the "old skool". Though I wonder about your Halo icon being "old"...

don't forget the krispy kremes.

rofl.gif

krispy.jpg

Hey guys who did you speak to in regards to getting a tour the ATM? when i call ny tracon i get the silence then click. Any help is appreciated.

John

don't forget the krispy kremes.

It's so funny, cuz it's true!:D:rawk::rawk:
it really is true! even when we set up a tour for the pilots, we have them take some yum yums.

and yes, we also have them dress biz casual... just out of common courtesy and to show professionalism so if we want to call again for another tour, opportunity is there because we acted appropriately.

Hey guys who did you speak to in regards to getting a tour the ATM? when i call ny tracon i get the silence then click. Any help is appreciated.

John
are you wanting to just tour the facility, or are you trying to get selected for there?

it really is true! even when we set up a tour for the pilots, we have them take some yum yums.

and yes, we also have them dress biz casual... just out of common courtesy and to show professionalism so if we want to call again for another tour, opportunity is there because we acted appropriately.

Exactly! Haha

You missed out on the other thread where i told people it's a good idea to bring a treat. I got the 3rd degree on how i'm a "suckup." Hahaha

Shoot, I'd have my students take over a couple of Domino's pizzas for Dwayne and the crowd at KRHV tower when I'd send them over for the tour!

Dwayne, I think, went to "Center" or something like that.

Shoot, I'd have my students take over a couple of Domino's pizzas for Dwayne and the crowd at KRHV tower when I'd send them over for the tour!

Dwayne, I think, went to "Center" or something like that.

Haha good idea you gave me now! I should bring some pizzas from my joint next tour i go on. :rawk::D

Back