Callsign 'Cactus' to stay!

N826AW

Off-Duty Cop
I just glanced over at my roomie's laptop. The US employee website indicates as of September 1st, all US Airways flights will use 'USA' as the prefix to their flight number. 'Cactus' will be the call sign for 'East' and 'West' flights.

Gonna be weird to hear 'Heathrow Tower, Cactus 728 Heavy..."

You know I'd have to admit my naievity and say that I can't believe that the east group would be so bitter as to file a suit on that, when they get the airline name as well as ICAO code. I think it's not a bad idea, since west really bought out east.

can someone please explain this whole situation to me? Why would a company sue over a call sign? Theres gotta be more to this.

I really doubt that the east guy's will EVER go by "cactus". Well there might be a few, but I'd be willing to bet that you'll never catch some of the hard nose senior guy's saying it.

I really doubt that the east guy's will EVER go by "cactus". Well there might be a few, but I'd be willing to bet that you'll never catch some of the hard nose senior guy's saying it.

I would tend to think that the FAA might have a few things to say about them not using the correct callsign.

So it's going from "Ewesssssssaaaaaaair's" to "Cactus'sssssssss erm...cactiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

Ok, that's probably something that only Arizonans may understand! ;)

No, trying to rape the West pilots of their seniority is tacky.

Odd choice of words..'rape'. But then you are given to hyperbole...

But more interesting in that you say you would say you are going to willfully commit an act that may have an effect on safety (very unprofessional). And then to argue that another group of pilots is not ethical. Hmmmmm.. it would be amusing were it a single post but in light of the other vitriol of previous posts, there may well be more truth in your original post than assumed.

Back