Will My Hours Transfer To Another School? Quick Reply Aprec.

JJ8Flyer

iated. I have 50 hours at a 141 in CT from 2001-03. about 125hrs at a 141 Flight Safety Academy in the past 6 months, and about 15 in the past 3 weeks at a 61 in Fort Pierce. I want to get my instrument rating and go back to a 141 to qualify for the 190 hour commercial rating. Will my hours transfer? All or just a percentage? Thanks for the help and the quick replies!

Re: Will My Hours Transfer To Another School? Quick Reply Ap

Check with the school. I think they only take a percentage at FlightSafety, but I'm not sure if that's a reg, or just a way the school acts to get more money out of students..

Thanks for the reply.. im hoping its just the school! Im going to do some research tomorrow, I will keep you posted!

A part 141 school, per the regs, can take 50% of the hours for a particular course in transfer from another school, IE an instrument rating course. I have no clue about the Comm license overall though.

I don't know your circumstances but you may be better off finishing at a part 61 school. Most every part 141 school is going to make you jump through a lot of expensive hoops to complete their commercial program. You will have to do aircraft training, VFR proficiency, IFR proficiency, complex aircraft training, stands checks and ground school all at very high rates. All-the-while you will be putting up with the BS of a 141 Academy. For the same cost you could fly 50% more hours at a 61 school and be treated like a customer.

Another question is what are you going to do with a 190 hour commercial certificate?

Thanks for the help guys.... I was planning on getting the multi add and back to FSA for the CFI course.

iated. I have 50 hours at a 141 in CT from 2001-03. about 125hrs at a 141 Flight Safety Academy in the past 6 months, and about 15 in the past 3 weeks at a 61 in Fort Pierce. I want to get my instrument rating and go back to a 141 to qualify for the 190 hour commercial rating. Will my hours transfer? All or just a percentage? Thanks for the help and the quick replies!

There's not quite enough info in your post to give you a good answer. What training were you taking and did you finish? Your total flight time will always be your total time, it' just a question of what credit you can get for an incompete course of training.

If you enrolled in a course of instruction (i.e. Private, Instrument, etc.) and you transfer prior to completing that course, then the following FAR applies:

Section 141.77: Limitations.

(a) The holder of a pilot school certificate or a provisional pilot school certificate may not issue a graduation certificate to a student, or recommend a student for a pilot certificate or rating, unless the student has:
(1) Completed the training specified in the pilot school's course of training; and
(2) Passed the required final tests.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, the holder of a pilot school certificate or a provisional pilot school certificate may not graduate a student from a course of training unless the student has completed all of the curriculum requirements of that course;
(c) A student may be given credit towards the curriculum requirements of a course for previous pilot experience and knowledge, provided the following conditions are met:
(1) If the credit is based upon a part 141-approved training course, the credit given that student for the previous pilot experience and knowledge may be 50 percent of the curriculum requirements and must be based upon a proficiency test or knowledge test, or both, conducted by the receiving pilot school;
(2) If the credit is not based upon a part 141-approved training course, the credit given that student for the previous pilot experience and knowledge shall not exceed more than 25 percent of the curriculum requirements and must be based upon a proficiency test or knowledge test, or both, conducted by the receiving pilot school;
(3) The receiving school determines the amount of course credit to be transferred under paragraph (c)(1) or paragraph (c)(2) of this section, based on a proficiency test or knowledge test, or both, of the student; and
(4) Credit for training specified in paragraph (c)(1) or paragraph (c)(2) of this section may be given only if the previous provider of the training has certified in writing, or other form acceptable to the Administrator as to the kind and amount of training provided, and the result of each stage check and end-of-course test, if applicable, given to the student.

If you completed your PPL, then you may simply enroll in the IR course and continue on regardless of how you earned your PPL.

There is no way now for you to get the Commercial at 190 hours. Most 141 syllabi require 120 hours of instruction/solo work to complete a 141 Commercial Course. I would just continue part 61.

Michael

There is no way now for you to get the Commercial at 190 hours. Most 141 syllabi require 120 hours of instruction/solo work to complete a 141 Commercial Course. I would just continue part 61.

Michael

:yeahthat:Go through the regs, 61.129. By now you've probably met several of the requirements. I wonder if your multi engine training would qualify as a complex aircraft training?

One of the worst flight training schools I ever went to did both 61 and 141. Since I already had 50 hours I clearly informed the guy I was interested in finishing under part 61. After the 4th hour I figured out he was shoehorning me into the 141 program against my wishes.

I mention this just to say, be very careful in your flight training. Unfortunately, not all CFI's and schools have your best interested in mind or even on the table for consideration.

Back