Had Any Close Calls ?????

Such as...

Like what? Almost having a mid-air collision? Almost going off the end of a runway? Almost running out of fuel?

Yeah, on reserve I dutied off at 1800 and crew tracking tried calling me at 1802. That was the closest call I've had ;)

When I was a CFI I once had a student go for the wrong parallel runway which had a 737 on final for. I once had sudden windshear of +35 kts in a 152 at like 8ft off the ground on the flare. It picked us up and threw us like 35-40 ft in the air, stall horn blaring. Went full power and went around, but it seemed pretty dramatic at the time.

Yeah, on reserve I dutied off at 1800 and crew tracking tried calling me at 1802. That was the closest call I've had ;)

When I was a CFI I once had a student go for the wrong parallel runway which had a 737 on final for. I once had sudden windshear of +35 kts in a 152 at like 8ft off the ground on the flare. It picked us up and threw us like 35-40 ft in the air, stall horn blaring. Went full power and went around, but it seemed pretty dramatic at the time.

just reaching 35kts in a C152 is pretty darn dramatic.

I've had crosswinds scoot me pretty close to the edge of the runway twice in a 172. Not in the dirt but the mains were inches from it and enough to make the butt cheeks tense up!

Once came relatively close to a hang glider i think up at 10,000 feet over some mountains. I think it was a hang glider or something like that...

Be careful out there guys!

You mean like the knothead Premier Jet pilot the other day who couldn't navigate worth #### in the aprt sfc area of a Class G aprt?

Or the Seneca V who cut me off on base to final and made a 121 carrier go around? And just before that he was seen manuvering (steep turns, etc) on the departure path. No one heard a single radio call from him.

Or the Caravan departing 11 who bitched at the multiple traffic landing 29 and it turned out he was on the wrong freq? He decided to roll just after I landed and tried to beat the next arrival. I got the full story the next day from a pilot who knew the dude.

Or the dumbass Cirrus who climbed into me (missed by <100' vertical) even though he was on vectors? (He violated his clearance)

Or the Humongous Sikorsky who decided to "park" on the SID at KBFL? That sure was fun.

Or the doofus in an Arrow IV who taxied into a stationary fuel truck that was fueling me?

Or the 737 who turned into me at 11,000 msl on app to LAX, one half mile, 12 o'clock because he misunderstood his RA?

Or the scud running Centurion who popped out of a cloud at my alt while I was in actual?

Or the EMB-120 who told APP they were done with the VOR and now are doing the ILS (without a clearance) climbing up my six while I am on the ILS?

Or the guy in a dually truck towing a ski boat who drove up and down the rows of tie-downs of a very busy ramp?

Or the awesomely cool pilot who pulled the mixture while coasting to a stop at the fuel island and ran into the tail of the plane right next to me? And the first thing he did upon exiting his bird was to spark a lung dart. (Hell yeah he had the way cool leather jacket dripping with patches.)

I've heard of some dumb accidents before, but for an Arrow to taxi stright into a fuel truck, WHAT AN IDIOT

Read my post in "pilot-controller" questions titled "assigned heading".
That was close enough! 1.04 miles and 500' vert from a 757. Unfortunately the controller got distracted and almost caused a disaster.

But I think the closest has to be when I landed at BNA several months ago and had that feeling of pressure below the mid section. managed to get the pax off and shut the door then ran through the FBO like Seabiscuit on speed where I just made the cubicle. Thankfully no accident that day!

Felt a little awkward returning to the counter where the girls were all smirking :rolleyes:

BP244

Read my post in "pilot-controller" questions titled "assigned heading".
That was close enough! 1.04 miles and 500' vert from a 757. Unfortunately the controller got distracted and almost caused a disaster.

But I think the closest has to be when I landed at BNA several months ago and had that feeling of pressure below the mid section. managed to get the pax off and shut the door then ran through the FBO like Seabiscuit on speed where I just made the cubicle. Thankfully no accident that day!

Felt a little awkward returning to the counter where the girls were all smirking :rolleyes:

BP244

Now that's funny! :yup:

I've heard of some dumb accidents before, but for an Arrow to taxi stright into a fuel truck, WHAT AN IDIOT

I saw some idiot handprop his airplane (no chocks, tie downs, and no one at the controls), walk around with the engine running, and then talk to someone. I was just waiting for it to start rolling into a building or another airplane.

Here are my close calls:

Student Pilot: On a long cross country, I nearly got blown off the edge of a runway on my long cross country.

Private Pilot: Loaded up an old crappy 172M with way too much fuel and passengers and tried to take off on an August day in Texas. Needless to say, after my 100fpm climb, I came back and landed.

CFI: 2x this happened. While taxiing, left brake failed, student pressed right brake we nearly hit airplanes on a tiedown. I quickly pulled the mixture and pulled the parking brake and managed to turn it around. We were about 3 feet away.

Had complete loss of controlling fluid on my prop 30 minutes past my go no go somewhere west of Sheyma Island. (Middle of no where). During maintenance checks, was unable to get hydraulic boost pressure to elevator. \
That and every day work..... :)

just reaching 35kts in a C152 is pretty darn dramatic.

Yep, especially when you're holding in position.

Wheeee!!!

One of my fundest memory as a flight instructor was taking my students up on those extremely windy days where we'd go out in a 152 push the power up and be at rotation speed by 15ft!

I saw some idiot handprop his airplane (no chocks, tie downs, and no one at the controls), walk around with the engine running, and then talk to someone. I was just waiting for it to start rolling into a building or another airplane.

I remember this one guy who hand propped a 152 and had his non flying girlfriend sit inside the aircraft holding the brakes for him. Once the engine fired up, she shoved the power forward, nearly running him over. He barely got out of the way and then commenced to chase the plane down the taxiway before it's wing rammed into the side of a hangar. One of my buddies saw all of this take place from air. :D

Let's see...lots of near misses at the 3-ring circus class E airports I fly out of...a memorable one involves a no-radio pilot not looking at the windsock and making a low straight-in approach the wrong way. It's kind of surreal suddenly seeing someone on a head-on course straight for you when you're about 50' AGL on final. Also, I had a transponder die in IMC and had to shoot a near-minimum approach with no idea how long the rest of the electrical system would keep functioning. That was fun.

I had a close call today. I was teaching my student instrument flying for the first time. I looked to my right and noticed a object at the same altitude and heading straight for me. Right when I pulled up he flew right under me. I can tell you that it was a Cessna 152 and there were two people in the airplane the CFI was white and the student was foreign. That woke me up. Also I was doing a long cross country and I had a little to much to drink and we landed I ran the fastest I've ever ran. Let me tell you it was a photo finish.

I cheat death every day with a steely resolve because I am a PILOT!@ Now be impressed, I command you! :rolleyes:

I've probably been pretty close to death while flying a number of times, I was just too drunk to know. I guess the price of being sober is being scared out of your mind. :buck:

Yes. Other airplanes, birds, electrical failure in IMC, students who decided to quit flying in the flare. To name a few.

We have a similar guy at our fbo who stops in with a C-425. He usually ignores the line staff and parks wherever he wants, then gets out of the airplane (single pilot) with both engines (sometimes he shuts down the left) running in feather and helps his passengers out of the plane and walks them into the passenger terminal...:eek:

Back