Current Air Traffic Controllers Discretion?

Bigey

Hi

I was wondering if the current controllers at a specific airport have any influence over their applicants? I ask because i was speaking with one of the managers and he really liked me i think. Is there any way of him to pull reign or is it a larger picture such as the airport authority itself and the FAA?

I'm sure you'll have people that are both sides of the fence on this issue, but from what I've heard personally is that much of what goes on behind the scenes can rely on who you know. I was talking with a controller yesterday from a small tower in my state and we were talking about staffing and trainees and such and he mentioned to me that in many cases it's who you know. The advice he gave me was to contact his supe, schedule a visit and give her the ability to put a face to my name. Just my .02.

I'm sure you'll have people that are both sides of the fence on this issue, but from what I've heard personally is that much of what goes on behind the scenes can rely on who you know. I was talking with a controller yesterday from a small tower in my state and we were talking about staffing and trainees and such and he mentioned to me that in many cases it's who you know. The advice he gave me was to contact his supe, schedule a visit and give her the ability to put a face to my name. Just my .02.

Well that's what i did. I took a tour, talked the supervisor and manager, and he really liked me. He told me as soon as i take the AT-SAT i should call him and tell him whats up. He gave me his card and everything. Also, he advised me to do the local interview thing vs. the PEPC because he'd be giving me the 1 on 1 interview and stuff?

I visited Detroit TRACON and met with the OM/got a tour. He gave me his card/contact info and I let him know which selection panel my name would be on. I find out where I got picked up on the 12th. He seemed pretty interested.

I was told by the training manager at S46 that the ATM there can (and has) requested specific individuals be selected for that facility.

Car ramrod!

I was told by the training manager at S46 that the ATM there can (and has) requested specific individuals be selected for that facility.

Car ramrod!

That's kinda what i was looking for!

I never felt so welcomed before! I'll keep everyone posted as it goes. :rawk:

Would the manager of a LVL-12 TRACON be able recommend specific individuals to a smaller facility that is within the TRACON's airspace? Also, what about controllers and supervisors that I am more personal with at the lvl-12 recommending me for a totally different state?
Probably something I'll be trying to make happen after I graduate from college.

I visited Detroit TRACON and met with the OM/got a tour. He gave me his card/contact info and I let him know which selection panel my name would be on. I find out where I got picked up on the 12th. He seemed pretty interested.

How do you know what panel you're name will be on? Did I miss something?

Also, does anyone know who these managers/supervisors are contacting to push an application thru?

How do you know what panel you're name will be on? Did I miss something?

Also, does anyone know who these managers/supervisors are contacting to push an application thru?

I called OKC and asked when the hiring panels were going to be meeting for the 2/15 announcement. It was 06/15 if i recall correctly. Shot him an e-mail beforehand and let him know. :D

Would the manager of a LVL-12 TRACON be able recommend specific individuals to a smaller facility that is within the TRACON's airspace? Also, what about controllers and supervisors that I am more personal with at the lvl-12 recommending me for a totally different state?
Probably something I'll be trying to make happen after I graduate from college.

My wife and I toured the local level 6 tower, a level 8 up/down about 200 miles away and a level 12 tracon. While at the level 8 we met with the facility manager. He said that the level 12 tracon manager is his boss and the person whom goes to OKC to make selections. My wife then called the level 12 manager. He confirmed that my wife's first choice (the level 6 tower) was well staffed, but mentioned that he could probably get her into one of the lower level facilities nearby.

In our second choice state, there is one particular facility that my wife really wants to get into. She's spoken to that facility's manager a few times. The manager told my wife that her higher ups told her to be on the lookout for people who are particular interested in that facility. Not that it's a guarantee, but I think the networking we're doing is a possitive.

My wife and I toured the local level 6 tower, a level 8 up/down about 200 miles away and a level 12 tracon. While at the level 8 we met with the facility manager. He said that the level 12 tracon manager is his boss and the person whom goes to OKC to make selections. My wife then called the level 12 manager. He confirmed that my wife's first choice (the level 6 tower) was well staffed, but mentioned that he could probably get her into one of the lower level facilities nearby.

In our second choice state, there is one particular facility that my wife really wants to get into. She's spoken to that facility's manager a few times. The manager told my wife that her higher ups told her to be on the lookout for people who are particular interested in that facility. Not that it's a guarantee, but I think the networking we're doing is a possitive.

I'm guessing this is SMF, RNO, and NCT? NCT is looking at ways to get RNO's approach airspace into the NorCal airspace, which means that RNO might eventually be downgraded a level. Trying to get a bigger traffic count for NCT and all that.

I know that if you get into a lower level place and spend a couple good years there, the manager will recommend you for a bigger/better facility.

Who you know is important. If a facility has a certain need and for whatever reason they request you, it is a pretty good bet you're going there as long as it matches up with your initial contact info. I.E. if your PEPC/interview invite stated NY terminal, it is going to be hard for Jacksonville Center to request you and have it succeed. Now as to recommending you for another facility I have no idea.

I was requested by the facility I am going to, I also interviewed there as well.

I called OKC and asked when the hiring panels were going to be meeting for the 2/15 announcement. It was 06/15 if i recall correctly. Shot him an e-mail beforehand and let him know. :D

What on earth did you say in that e-mail without coming across as arrogant?

"Hay, my name'll be on the next announcement...just wanted to let you know"?

The facility manager does have an opportunity to request someone before or during a hiring panel b/c that is how it went down with me...... I am speaking for myself in this particular instance and don't know if it is "the norm" but it can and does happen.... keep him informed of all your progress and I'm sure he will send your name to the hiring panel when they meet as his request.... Good Luck!!

The facility manager does have an opportunity to request someone before or during a hiring panel b/c that is how it went down with me...... I am speaking for myself in this particular instance and don't know if it is "the norm" but it can and does happen.... keep him informed of all your progress and I'm sure he will send your name to the hiring panel when they meet as his request.... Good Luck!!

How AWESOME! Thanks! I plan on doing so!:rawk:

This facility would be the greatest opportunity! It's the best driving distance, has plenty of traffic but isnt "career suicide." Also, it seems like a great bunch of people there. Environment was just awesome. Now, not mentioning any names but i visited another facility where there was some politics right off the bat! I'm sure theres a fair share at every facility, but i was actually overwhelmed at this one i was kinda shocked!

Back