"I'm so glad we're not flying on one of dem turboprops!"

JaceTheAce

I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say this, but when I was jumpseating to get to work, a passenger made a very funny statement when I was waiting at the gate to board an Air Wisconsin flight from PHL to LGA. Beer-Belly Joe Sixpack paced back and forth anxious to find out which kind of airplane he'd be flying on the short 20 minute flight from Philly to LaGuardia. When the CRJ-200 arrived, he was thrilled to see that he wasn't "flying on one of dem old turboprops."

Since the Air Whiskey CRJ-200 couldn't accept the short RWY 35 at Kilo runway like the Dash 8 did going from PHL to LGA, we had to sit and wait in a huge hour-long line at 9pm for the longer RWY 27L. Had that passenger been on the Dash 8 flight from PHL to LGA that left only a few minutes earlier, he would've had a short 5 minute taxi time and would've avoided sitting on the ground in a cramped and packed CRJ for more than an hour.

He had no clue that the "slow and old-fashioned" Dash 8 would've cut his total time sitting on an airplane down to about 45 minutes.

*evil laugh*
:D

i heard props were noisy, unsafe, and crash all the time. wheras jets are big, comfy, quiet, travel at the speed of light, never have any problems with them, and dont even need a pilot anymore because they land themselves.

true/false?

I remember flying the 1900 into HPN on our last leg of the day. Upon deplaning a man went up to the cockpit and said to the captain, ''When you're ready to move on, you should go to Air Wisconsin''.

I'm non-revving out of IND one AM.

It's oh-dark thirty, I'm headed home, and bleary-eyed as I got in about 2200L. I have my monkey suit on. I'm dragging down the jetbridge behind some obviously well informed travellers. The following conversation ensues:

Wife: "I hope this isn't a small plane"
Hubby: "Me either, I hate those small planes."
Wife: "Usually when we fly, we walk UP TO THE PLANE not down"

Granted it's a short jetbridge, so that's all the longer the conversation was.

Attached to the end of a jetbridge as a Boeing 737.

They never cease to amaze...

I'm non-revving out of IND one AM.

It's oh-dark thirty, I'm headed home, and bleary-eyed as I got in about 2200L. I have my monkey suit on. I'm dragging down the jetbridge behind some obviously well informed travellers. The following conversation ensues:

Wife: "I hope this isn't a small plane"
Hubby: "Me either, I hate those small planes."
Wife: "Usually when we fly, we walk UP TO THE PLANE not down"

Granted it's a short jetbridge, so that's all the longer the conversation was.

Attached to the end of a jetbridge as a Boeing 737.

They never cease to amaze...

Idiots!:rolleyes: I don't know about the rest of JFK, but at T4 the terminal is about 20 feet above the actual planes so you kinda walk down in spirals whether you are boarding a Air J A320, Aer Lingues A330, or even a Singapore 744!

Don't know why you guys let that kind of thing bother you. As long as their money is green who cares?

Don't know why you guys let that kind of thing bother you. As long as their money is green who cares?

Its not really bothering me, but you do have some ######bags that will see that their flight is operated by Colgan, ASA, Air Wisky, or any of these other regionals, and purposely avoid them because of the plane being "small"! I personally know people who have purposely flown routes that are less than 500nm in planes as big as 767's!

Jace, you could have distracted them with your light-up luggage wheels and they would have been oblivious to what kind of plane they were on.

Its not really bothering me, but you do have some ######bags that will see that their flight is operated by Colgan, ASA, Air Wisky, or any of these other regionals, and purposely avoid them because of the plane being "small"! I personally know people who have purposely flown routes that are less than 500nm in planes as big as 767's!

I honestly didn't blame passengers for not wanting to fly on the 1900. I mean no bathroom, no F/A, filthy interior and filthy exterior. Not exactly passenger friendly. We once had a lady who refused to fly on us from HPN - BOS because it was too scary for her. I told her about the shuttle from LGA to BOS that would be a lot more comfortable and much bigger airplane. Some people just have a fear of flying and it's understandable.

I honestly didn't blame passengers for not wanting to fly on the 1900. I mean no bathroom, no F/A, filthy interior and filthy exterior. Not exactly passenger friendly. We once had a lady who refused to fly on us from HPN - BOS because it was too scary for her. I told her about the shuttle from LGA to BOS that would be a lot more comfortable and much bigger airplane. Some people just have a fear of flying and it's understandable.

Oh, in that case you are right. I had in my mind something more along the lines of a Q400, EMJ-45, or a CRJ200.

Turboprop guys around here are a sensitive bunch. According to them an RJ will start itself and fly to a destination with the flip of a switch while what they accomplish is nothing short of the Wright Flyer's first flight. :)

I honestly didn't blame passengers for not wanting to fly on the 1900. I mean no bathroom, no F/A, filthy interior and filthy exterior. Not exactly passenger friendly. We once had a lady who refused to fly on us from HPN - BOS because it was too scary for her.

I remember I was walking thorugh the terminal at BOS with my bro and some of our fellow HS pilot friends to get to our flight (back to JFK, it was jetblues inaugural shuttle service in the e190). I was 17 or 18 at the time and while we were walking we came upon these Colgan 1900 pilots that were just standing around at one of the gates, so we decided to go over and talk to them and when once we found out they were also headed back to NY my brother said something along the lines of 'you're flying to NY in that?' and the captain was like 'yeah, it's pretty nice we got a gps and you can stand up in it'

Idk but those 1900's look like they could use some sleep...eternal sleep:nana2:

Thank God they dont know the experience these pilots have or they would never get on the plane. :)

Airplanes are airplanes. If the people get to where they wanna be, then who gives a ####.

I'm putting my whole family on a couple of RJs this week. The copilot most likely has fewer than 1000 hours TT. If he has spiky hair and Ipod earbuds in when we board I'M gonna be tempted to get off myself!

Does that make me a bad person?

Turboprop guys around here are a sensitive bunch. According to them an RJ will start itself and fly to a destination with the flip of a switch while what they accomplish is nothing short of the Wright Flyer's first flight. :)

Hilarious! I actually agree with you, and this is coming from a Turboprop pilot's mouth! haha

I'm putting my whole family on a couple of RJs this week. The copilot most likely has fewer than 1000 hours TT. If he has spiky hair and Ipod earbuds in when we board I'M gonna be tempted to get off myself!

Does that make me a bad person?

Sez the guy who had pepperoni as a best man....

;)

Back