Annual Medical Exam

moulds80

I understand once you are certified ATC Professional you still must take an annual medical exam to assure you are up to the same vision and hearing standards as the original exam you take when interviewing. My question is what if you can no longer meet these requirements? Would the FAA place you in another position if you were qualified for one, or would you simply be let go by the organization?

hey, the FAA extended 1st and 3rd class medicals, don't suppose this affected the controller medicals.

2nd class medical stayed the same, according to my CFI roommate. 12 calendar months IIRC
it did, that's why I didn't list the 2nd class. But the controller medical is not a 2nd class, I believe it is a specific controller medical.

I understand once you are certified ATC Professional you still must take an annual medical exam to assure you are up to the same vision and hearing standards as the original exam you take when interviewing. My question is what if you can no longer meet these requirements? Would the FAA place you in another position if you were qualified for one, or would you simply be let go by the organization?

You lose your medical the FFAA wil treat you like you're a leper... No pluggy in headset, no treat with last hope of dignity, Been there....done that. Take good care of yourselves or you WILL be out of a job. They DO NOT find you something else.

ATC is class II

I don't believe that to be technically correct. I believe it's issued as an ATCS medical and not a standard class II airman's medical, but the requirements are similar to a class 2 medical.
The only way to know for sure is to get mine in the mail or for someone to post theirs since I hold an airman's medical currently.

it's just semantics really. If it is an airman's medical that would be nice, saves me having to buy my own.

ATC is class II

Nope it may be technically the same as far as requirements but it is a different classification. I know that for a fact because my Uncle is an AME qualified to do Class I, II and III but not an ATC physical. (tried to get the hook-up so I never will have to worry about failing, but no go per the FAA)

They told my uncle he needed to go back to OKC to take another class and get certified.

Nope it may be technically the same as far as requirements but it is a different classification. I know that for a fact because my Uncle is an AME qualified to do Class I, II and III but not an ATC physical. (tried to get the hook-up so I never will have to worry about failing, but no go per the FAA)

They told my uncle he needed to go back to OKC to take another class and get certified.

l_d7b31c007a9e8dc8ed254e8d0c4c69ce.jpg

I am a controller only with no other aviation ratings.

HD

You lose your medical the FFAA wil treat you like you're a leper... No pluggy in headset, no treat with last hope of dignity, Been there....done that. Take good care of yourselves or you WILL be out of a job. They DO NOT find you something else.

Ignorant question probably, but what types of things normally cause them to pull you and treat you like a leper......

other than, of course......leprosy i guess....

Darn that is scary. My eyesight is my one hinderance. They say you can were corrective lenses, and I was thinking of getting LASIK. Just to know I can be thown out at the drop a of a dime - is not a welcome thought.

And to think, I was doing all of this to get close to ATL and I still might not make it.

Ignorant question probably, but what types of things normally cause them to pull you and treat you like a leper......

other than, of course......leprosy i guess....
I guess if you start leaving body parts behind that could be a problem :yup:

If you lose your medical and your job for health reasons, wouldn't you get disability until you got something else?

Back