prior military/vra/dd-214

jp13

Ive been visiting this forum since i found it, its a really great site...ive seen different opinions on this around the forum and just talking to a few friends that have gotten out of the AF into the FAA. Do you actually need your 214 to apply? Have you applied before terminal leave? How long did the whole process take? One of my friends was at the academy one week after his terminal leave, he applied before his terminal started. Maybe i just answered my own question, but does the FAA look down upon applicants that are either on terminal or havent started terminal. Just wanted to see what the other VRA's did or are doing, and how the hiring process was. I hear that they send prior military to at least level 10's and higher, any thruth to this??

thanks

I believe you do have to have it (dd214) since you have to be on terminal leave in order to apply (from what I read).

How close are you to taking terminal leave?

The process is a long one. I've had applications in since Feb, got picked up on the one in May, still waiting for an interview, and probably won't make it to the academy until Jan 09 or later.

But... you should be used to the "hurry up and wait" game by now. ;)

Im a former military controller and i will tell you that although it says on the announcement that you must be on terminal, when u get your TOL and it asks you if you accept the position, there is a box that says "you are still active duty and you are available to work on whatever date". The problem you will have is that you need to send a copy of you copy 4 DD-214 to complete your application. Also, they will send you wherever they need u, I am going to a level 9 (ORF) and I have a buddy of mine who is a former military controller also and hes going to a level 7. So, good luck!

Do you actually need your 214 to apply?

No. You will however need your DD-214 to complete the hiring process. A statement of service from your administration dept will suffice for now. It needs to state something to the effect that you will be discharged on this date with an honorable discharge.

Have you applied before terminal leave?
Yes.

How long did the whole process take?
The hiring process can vary from a month (PEPC) to a year. However the hiring time line seems to be speeding up these days. I would expect that, without any special circumstances you could complete the process from start to finish in 5 months or less.

...does the FAA look down upon applicants that are either on terminal or haven't started terminal.
No.

I hear that they send prior military to at least level 10's and higher, any truth to this??
No. VRA's are assigned to all types of facilities, not just level 10's and above.

If you are 3-4 mos from separation apply now. By that time you will have a chance to attend a PEPC and get the initial stuff started as well as negotiate a class date that fits your needs. I applied for an Apr 21 announcement, hears something back three weeks later, attended the LA PEPC Jun 18, originally had an academy date for Jul 28 but had it moved to Aug 11. As far as placement is concerned, I guess it matters on where you apply and how far you are willing to spread yourself. In my case, I was given the option between three facilities and picked the best one from there. I haven't been asked for any separation paperwork or anything and I have a firm class date of Aug 11 for the academy. They only wanted an official document that said my discharge was honorable and that was for the recruitment bonus. Any other questions PM me JP.

If you are 3-4 mos from separation apply now. By that time you will have a chance to attend a PEPC and get the initial stuff started as well as negotiate a class date that fits your needs. I applied for an Apr 21 announcement, hears something back three weeks later, attended the LA PEPC Jun 18, originally had an academy date for Jul 28 but had it moved to Aug 11. As far as placement is concerned, I guess it matters on where you apply and how far you are willing to spread yourself. In my case, I was given the option between three facilities and picked the best one from there. I haven't been asked for any separation paperwork or anything and I have a firm class date of Aug 11 for the academy. They only wanted an official document that said my discharge was honorable and that was for the recruitment bonus. Any other questions PM me JP.

you got to choose from 3 facilities??? I didnt get that ####

I think in a case where none of your preferences are met they do offer you that.

Boondr, all three facs were in my geo pref. I don't know why I was allowed to, but it seems like I am the only one. Not to brag, guess I got lucky or they just liked me that much. I am very grateful nonetheless.

Boondr, all three facs were in my geo pref. I don't know why I was allowed to, but it seems like I am the only one. Not to brag, guess I got lucky or they just liked me that much. I am very grateful nonetheless.

In my case I was lucky as well because I was offered the the facility I wanted most.

A similiar thing happened to me. I was offered Washington terminal, Texas enroute and Tennessee terminal all at the same time (all on my pref list). Not sure why they did this but when I called HR they said I could only accept one tentative offer so I chose TN (best cost of living).

HD

A similiar thing happened to me. I was offered Washington terminal, Texas enroute and Tennessee terminal all at the same time (all on my pref list). Not sure why they did this but when I called HR they said I could only accept one tentative offer so I chose TN (best cost of living).

HD

You shoulda picked Tejas!

Ive been visiting this forum since i found it
Me too! :D

Do you actually need your 214 to apply?
No.

Have you applied before terminal leave?
Yes, quite a while before.

How long did the whole process take?
Ok, I'll tell you my timeline. I applied for the FEBOTS ending 2/15. Took my ATSAT 2 months later. Picked 2 states, got my first pick. I just interviewed Friday, Jul 25, and told to expect med/psych etc in about 3-4 weeks.

My DOS is Dec 2, 08, and my terminal starts Oct 10, 08. Again, I applied in Feb, so that makes 8 months before my terminal starts.

88mph,

Are you a controller currently, b/c the was under the impression that prior controllers didnt have to take the ATSAT.

Thanks for your input

But that veterans preference helps out doesn't it?

5 extra points, out of a possible 10 that vets can get.

IMHO, after initial selection, I don't see it affecting the process, other than in the impression made on the interviewer.

5 extra points, out of a possible 10 that vets can get.

IMHO, after initial selection, I don't see it affecting the process, other than in the impression made on the interviewer.
Yeah, it's only used to sort the applications for the panels to hire from.

I got lucky with my interviewer. He was prior Air Force.

Back