ASA vs. King instrument course

IMO ASA is terrible! King will get you through the written, and thats about all. Sporty's covers the most and is most indepth. It also cures insomnia. again, just my cent and a half worth!

I say....get the King IFR course, and the Jepp IFR/Commercial course DVD's and book. Do both of them, and read that intensely verbose book. And then, watch the Sporty's IFR course as a review.

Since the material will be in different places with the two different courses, use one course as the 'introduction' and use the other course as fill-in. Then, read that book for the material that you have covered. Some lessons are much better with the King, some lessons are much better with the Jepp stuff. The Sporty's stuff is very good, but doesn't follow the PTS closely like the King and Jepp stuff does.

I did it like that and it worked out for me. I looked at it this way....when you go to an airline interview, this is the ONE rating that your knowledge about flying is coming from. If you skim through the material and just learn enough to get by and pass the checkride, you are cheating yourself. And, if you learn everything IFR like the back of your hand while doing the rating, you will have no problem passing the CFII (oral) checkride with the FAA as an initial instructor rating. It might take twice as long to finish up this rating by doing it this way, but this is the one rating that plays the biggest part in following you no matter what type of commercial flying you decide to do one day. You can never learn too much about instrument flying.

IMHO, King is the way to go. Even today, I still use some of the "tricks" the King DVD's taught me.

Plus, Martha is a fox. :sarcasm:

I say....get the King IFR course, and the Jepp IFR/Commercial course DVD's and book. Do both of them, and read that intensely verbose book. And then, watch the Sporty's IFR course as a review.

Since the material will be in different places with the two different courses, use one course as the 'introduction' and use the other course as fill-in. Then, read that book for the material that you have covered. Some lessons are much better with the King, some lessons are much better with the Jepp stuff. The Sporty's stuff is very good, but doesn't follow the PTS closely like the King and Jepp stuff does.

I did it like that and it worked out for me. I looked at it this way....when you go to an airline interview, this is the ONE rating that your knowledge about flying is coming from. If you skim through the material and just learn enough to get by and pass the checkride, you are cheating yourself. And, if you learn everything IFR like the back of your hand while doing the rating, you will have no problem passing the CFII (oral) checkride with the FAA as an initial instructor rating. It might take twice as long to finish up this rating by doing it this way, but this is the one rating that plays the biggest part in following you no matter what type of commercial flying you decide to do one day. You can never learn too much about instrument flying.

:yeahthat: Exactly what I did! It worked!

I got the ASA through my school, watched it, bought the King Instrument course. ASA leaves a lot of things out, King does a much better job explaining the stuff. In fact if you want my ASA Instrument course I'll sell it cheap, but am gonna keep the King course.

Back