Thinking about the Navy/Air Force

CameronF

Hey there!

Well come this fall I will be a Junior in College and the time is fast approaching when i need to make a decision about what I want to do with my life.

Now my long-term goal is to be flying for a major airline such as Southwest, Alaska or FedEx. However it seems there are many different paths i could take to get there...obviously some being better than others.

Currently I am a commercial pilot with both SEL, MEL and instrument. My original plan was to become a CFI and do that until I obtained the necessary hours to apply for a regional airline. I have never really wanted to CFI and recently a fellow pilot came in and talked to me about the Navy and what it had to offer. It sounded like an awesome adventure and experience. Something that I dont think I would get as much of if i were to CFI.

So I am looking for as much information as possible about what is the best choice.

To give you a little background on my academic information, I am a 2.9-3.1 student but am capable of much higher grades when I really want to apply myself. I just dont have as much interest in school as I do for flying, but I do know the value of an education and that's why i am earning my BA. I am also in great shape and have correctable vision to 20/15.

Any information is very appreciated, whether it is good or bad. I hate it when i get false information and people sugar coat things, so come with the truth and the truth only! :laff:

Thank you,
Cameron

Navy/Airforce

*Originally posted in military pilots section, but moved to try and recieve some replies.*

Hey there!

Well come this fall I will be a Junior in College and the time is fast approaching when i need to make a decision about what I want to do with my life.

Now my long-term goal is to be flying for a major airline such as Southwest, Alaska or FedEx. However it seems there are many different paths i could take to get there...obviously some being better than others.

Currently I am a commercial pilot with both SEL, MEL and instrument. My original plan was to become a CFI and do that until I obtained the necessary hours to apply for a regional airline. I have never really wanted to CFI and recently a fellow pilot came in and talked to me about the Navy and what it had to offer. It sounded like an awesome adventure and experience. Something that I dont think I would get as much of if i were to CFI.

So I am looking for as much information as possible about what is the best choice.

To give you a little background on my academic information, I am a 2.9-3.1 student but am capable of much higher grades when I really want to apply myself. I just dont have as much interest in school as I do for flying, but I do know the value of an education and that's why i am earning my BA. I am also in great shape and have correctable vision to 20/15.

Any information is very appreciated, whether it is good or bad. I hate it when i get false information and people sugar coat things, so come with the truth and the truth only! :laff:

Thank you,
Cameron

Re: Navy/Airforce

I would get straight As from here on out with a non whiny letter to the selection board, or maybe go get a MA and get a 4.0.

Your attitude and grades must change. The military wants officers first.

At any rate in military aviation, timing is everything, sometimes not having eagle eye vision will keep you out of the front seat. Not sure what the competitive criteria are, but if you are serious you should enhance your academic record.

I would get straight As from here on out with a non whiny letter to the selection board, or maybe go get a MA and get a 4.0.

Your attitude and grades must change. The military wants officers first.

At any rate in military aviation, timing is everything, sometimes not having eagle eye vision will keep you out of the front seat. Not sure what the competitive criteria are, but if you are serious you should enhance your academic record.

I agree, and luckily for me I have two years to show what I can really do before I graduate. Not sure what you mean by my attitude, I love flying and am just not as passionate about school but by no means do I have a bad attitude towards anything.

I agree, and luckily for me I have two years to show what I can really do before I graduate. Not sure what you mean by my attitude, I love flying and am just as passionate about school but by no means do I have a bad attitude towards anything.

You don't go into the military to just fly jets or helicopters, you must first become an officer and learn how to lead. Its not just something you can say "oh I can just get through that and still fly," they will see right through you and then you'll be lucky if you see the cockpit. Its not that easy and requires your heart to be in the right place by first stepping up and be willing to serve your country first. If you go in with the "I just want to fly jets" attitude it wont get you very far.

You don't go into the military to just fly jets or helicopters, you must first become an officer and learn how to lead. Its not just something you can say "oh I can just get through that and still fly," they will see right through you and then you'll be lucky if you see the cockpit. Its not that easy and requires your heart to be in the right place by first stepping up and be willing to serve your country first. If you go in with the "I just want to fly jets" attitude it wont get you very far.

Well I can see what you mean and I really dont think that is my attitude at all. My attitude is this...I don't want to go in and not fly (I dont care if they have me fly a C-152 for 4 years as long as I'm flying). So it doesnt matter about the jets, it matters about going in and getting stuck doing something other than flying. This is why I asked the question of which would be the best route for me to have a flying career and boost my potential for my long term goal, which if you didnt read my original post is to fly for a major airline.

So it doesnt matter about the jets, it matters about going in and getting stuck doing something other than flying.

I would seriously reconsider joining the armed forces. You also need to realize that military pilots do not fly a whole lot. Most of my rated friends spend more time doing their desk job than in a cockpit.

Regardless, good luck! I suggest either looking further into the CFI route or at part 135 freight companies, where you'll get a lot of good experience.

Well I can see what you mean and I really dont think that is my attitude at all. My attitude is this...I don't want to go in and not fly (I dont care if they have me fly a C-152 for 4 years as long as I'm flying). So it doesnt matter about the jets, it matters about going in and getting stuck doing something other than flying.

That is precisely the attitude he was talking about.

This is why I asked the question of which would be the best route for me to have a flying career and boost my potential for my long term goal, which if you didnt read my original post is to fly for a major airline.

If that is your goal, do yourself a favor and go the civilian route. Stay out of the military.

Well I can see what you mean and I really dont think that is my attitude at all. My attitude is this...I don't want to go in and not fly (I dont care if they have me fly a C-152 for 4 years as long as I'm flying). So it doesnt matter about the jets, it matters about going in and getting stuck doing something other than flying. This is why I asked the question of which would be the best route for me to have a flying career and boost my potential for my long term goal, which if you didnt read my original post is to fly for a major airline.

That is just it, you may get stuck doing something else, thus why I brought up the fact it is about serving your country first. If you are worried about getting stuck, get that GPA up to a 4.0 and build that time to make you a good canadate for officer training and the possibilty of a flying slot. There is always going t be someone with better creidentials out there and alot more trying to get flying slots, they only take the best.

I would seriously reconsider joining the armed forces. You also need to realize that military pilots do not fly a whole lot. Most of my rated friends spend more time doing their desk job than in a cockpit.

Regardless, good luck! I suggest either looking further into the CFI route or at part 135 freight companies, where you'll get a lot of good experience.

Thank you.

That's the kind of information that I am looking for!

That is just it, you may get stuck doing something else, thus why I brought up the fact it is about serving your country first. If you are worried about getting stuck, get that GPA up to a 4.0 and build that time to make you a good canadate for officer training and the possibilty of a flying slot. There is always going t be someone with better creidentials out there and alot more trying to get flying slots, they only take the best.

Great advice! I think I see now that to ensure I do fly, I should stay the civilian route and pick up the CFI, II, and MEI.

I disagree with your statement. The airlines give you a curve for your military hours. You also receive some of the best training out there.

If you want to work hard and learn leadership early, become a Marine or Navy pilot. Realize that the Air Force takes better care of their pilots and your quality of life will be better. If your only goal is to go from Military to Airlines, then you would most likely be happier in the Air Force.

I will also add that your job stability is greater in the military than the current civilian sector, and most guys who get out can't wait to get back in.

My thoughts (for what its worth).... Join the military because you want to serve your country first and foremost.

I can only speak with respect to the Navy but I suspect this would apply to all branches.
You need a degree.
You are an officer first, a pilot second.
No matter who 'promised' you are not guaranteed a pilot slot.
You will be competing for a very coveted slot, thus you have to be not good, but exceptional.
Family name/history means something.
Academy grads take up the bulk of the slots
Not everyone joins/qualifies the fleet on float, not everyone flies a "cool' aircraft
It is tough: training, competition, flying.
There is a ton of bookwork.

Flying in the Navy is beyond cool!!!

I hope this helps

I disagree with your statement. The airlines give you a curve for your military hours.

Absolutely, 100% correct. However, the original poster seems like to fly a LOT. I was referring to his need to fly, not his need to meet minimums for airlines. Heck, I'd even take your point further and argue that the networking you accomplish within the military will help you get a great airline job even more.

You also receive some of the best training out there.

For the given mission, yes. For CRM after flying single pilot operations for a career? No.

Well technically with the training comes disipline as well which would help in the future. Also he isn't saying he want to fly a jet fighter, he just wants to fly. He could easily get into a crew enviroment in a C-5, C-17, C-130, B-52 and so on.

Now I understand what you are saying about the attitude being a hinderence in what he wants. Using the military as a means to get to a major airline isn't the proper way to go about getting to the majors.

Dude... The military isn't for you then. Let me tell you a story. I went to college and did AFRTOC with the sole intent to become a pilot in the Air Force. I thought the same way as you did.. FLy or nothing... I worked my tail off and earned a pilot slot and and ENJJPT slot at that (though I declined it in the end for regular training). Well guess what a few weeks before graduation I blew my back out and was medically D'Qd and was STUCK with something else. I was still an Officer and gained great leaership experience and did some cool stuff.

Moral of the story is you never know what will happen and you probably will get stuck with something else. So if your not willing to accept that then just get your training another way.

My thoughts (for what its worth).... Join the military because you want to serve your country first and foremost.

I can only speak with respect to the Navy but I suspect this would apply to all branches.
You need a degree.
You are an officer first, a pilot second.
No matter who 'promised' you are not guaranteed a pilot slot.
You will be competing for a very coveted slot, thus you have to be not good, but exceptional.
Family name/history means something.
Academy grads take up the bulk of the slots
Not everyone joins/qualifies the fleet on float, not everyone flies a "cool' aircraft
It is tough: training, competition, flying.
There is a ton of bookwork.

Flying in the Navy is beyond cool!!!

I hope this helps

Pretty much the whole list applies to the USAF as well.

BTW, Hey Mods (he evokes into the ether, like a curse or a prayer), this appears to be the same as a thread in the General section. Can they be merged?

I would go either AF or Navy, but since I can't swim well I would choose AF.

I agree, and luckily for me I have two years to show what I can really do before I graduate. Not sure what you mean by my attitude, I love flying and am just not as passionate about school but by no means do I have a bad attitude towards anything.

It seems like you have made your mind up and will go the CFI route. I think this will be the best option for you.

I wasnt trying to talk down to you, but as other have said maybe a little nicer:
1. Be an officer first- flying is a specialty.
2. Strive for excellence in all you do. (Grades are a big indicator.)

My references to your grades and attitude needing to change were based on your original post. Just giving you the straight dope.

When I went through AOCS in 92, I had a classmate that DOR'd after two days. All he wanted to do was be a "Carrier Pilot", and he quit even before the Drill Instructors showed up and went home bald headed. Unreasonable expectations...

Back