Drug Test

menglish1

Ok first off before anyone asks never done drugs. My question is I'm taking a herbal supplement called Michael's Blood Pressure Factors which has hops flower and valerian root among many other things. This stuff works great taking my BP down from 150/95 to 117/78 so I really need this stuff. However doing some random reasearch I found out that Valerian root can cause a false positive for benzodiazepines(wow thats a big word). However I also found that most places only test for the NIDA Five:

THC,Meth,PCP,Anth,and Opiates

My question is what does the FAA test for on our drug test I think its the NIDA 5 but i'm not sure anyone who has gone through the test should see it on their paperwork. I'm also planning on taking all the labels on my supplements so they can take those with the test incase their is an issue. Do they give you a chance to say your on any prescription medicines or supplements? Thanks for the help I'm sure i'm worring about nothing but don't want to blow the best job ever on a false positive....

I would of however he doesn't do atc medicals so I figured the people who have been through the process would know. I'm sure I'm just being stupid however knowing would keep my blood pressure low. lol

It is definitely something you could explain away. And I do not believe they test for them anyways.

I'm taking a psychopharmacology class right now where we talk extensively about benzodiazepines and the roll they play in the FAA and aerospace in general.

Ill ask my professor tomorrow for you. Maybe I can get some good info for you.

well its a daily vitamin so I take it every day it does work really well so I don't want stop taking it and my pepc is Wed. so it won't be out of my system anyway nor do I think I would get through the bp part of the medical without it.

Zep. They do you give you a chance to explain? I've obviously never had a positive drug test and hope I still won't. I've also contacted the manufactorer to see what they say. I'd be mighty mad if me trying to be healthy loose weight and control my bp with lifestyle changes comes back to bight me in the butt.

You should be ok, they take a urinalysis which only includes test for the 5 major narcotics. Also do ask the flight surgeon, because when i was at PEPC on July 7th, it was a flight surgeon who did our physicals,

You should be ok, they take a urinalysis which only includes test for the 5 major narcotics. Also do ask the flight surgeon, because when i was at PEPC on July 7th, it was a flight surgeon who did our physicals,

It is always a flight surgeon who does your physicals. They actually have to take classes in OKC to get certified.

Ok first off before anyone asks never done drugs. My question is I'm taking a herbal supplement called Michael's Blood Pressure Factors which has hops flower and valerian root among many other things. This stuff works great taking my BP down from 150/95 to 117/78 so I really need this stuff. However doing some random reasearch I found out that Valerian root can cause a false positive for benzodiazepines(wow thats a big word). However I also found that most places only test for the NIDA Five:

THC,Meth,PCP,Anth,and Opiates

My question is what does the FAA test for on our drug test I think its the NIDA 5 but i'm not sure anyone who has gone through the test should see it on their paperwork. I'm also planning on taking all the labels on my supplements so they can take those with the test incase their is an issue. Do they give you a chance to say your on any prescription medicines or supplements? Thanks for the help I'm sure i'm worring about nothing but don't want to blow the best job ever on a false positive....

My entire knowledge of this position comes from my last job - where I drug tested controllers on site. The chain of custody clearly states the tests to be performed, that 5-panel you listed above. Nothing else. You'll also provide a split specimen (two containers) just to add another level of "certainty."

It's a very rare occasion for anything to cause a false-positive, especially OTC supplements. In the highly unlikely event that it DID, it would be requested that you provide any and all medication, etc., it's not an immediate disqualification by any means.

If you really wanna dig into it, you can always contact the FAA drug program coordinator for your region. They're helpful people, in my case, the reason I'm even trying for ATC. :)

My entire knowledge of this position comes from my last job - where I drug tested controllers on site. The chain of custody clearly states the tests to be performed, that 5-panel you listed above. Nothing else. You'll also provide a split specimen (two containers) just to add another level of "certainty."

It's a very rare occasion for anything to cause a false-positive, especially OTC supplements. In the highly unlikely event that it DID, it would be requested that you provide any and all medication, etc., it's not an immediate disqualification by any means.

If you really wanna dig into it, you can always contact the FAA drug program coordinator for your region. They're helpful people, in my case, the reason I'm even trying for ATC. :)

Great info man that really makes me feel a lot better I'll sleep well tonight I just kinda realized that stuff can cause a false positive and I guess it happens more than I realized but I'm glad you get to tell them why it would be false. I definatley would be pissed off to fail a drug test when I've never touched the junk. Thanks again.

Yeah but in all honesty those machines at Wally-World are junk. Surely you know someone who can take your B/P at random times throughout the day to get a good average... Worst case scenario you can find a free health screening in your area, they're pretty common.

I was just checking ebay and saw a bunch of digital readout machines. I had always thought you had to pump it by hand and everything. Maybe I will get one now that I know you don't have to really know how to use it:)

I was just checking ebay and saw a bunch of digital readout machines. I had always thought you had to pump it by hand and everything. Maybe I will get one now that I know you don't have to really know how to use it:)

Just go to your local pharmacy. You can easily find one there and they'll explain it to you.

Some of you guys are way too paranoid about some of this stuff. I know you want to have all your bases covered, but our gov't is not big brother. They certainly don't run that way at least.

Back