News Flash: New announcement opening July 17 ending July 31

CoBuilder

I just checked the faa.gov and discovered the new announcement that opened up today for OTS. I'm not exactly sure on how long the entire testing/hiring process takes. I'm currently a senior in college and am 24 credits away from graduating( about two more semesters and graduation date is May 09). The minimum qualifications lists you must either have a four year degree or documented minimum three years work experience. I'm wondering if I am qualified to apply now even though I still have two semesters of college coursework left. Will I have to wait for the announcement after I graduate or can I apply now to get the process started?

Re: News Flash: New announcement opening July 17 ending July

I just checked the faa.gov and discovered the new announcement that opened up today for OTS. I'm not exactly sure on how long the entire testing/hiring process takes. I'm currently a senior in college and am 24 credits away from graduating( about two more semesters and graduation date is May 09). The minimum qualifications lists you must either have a four year degree or documented minimum three years work experience. I'm wondering if I am qualified to apply now even though I still have two semesters of college coursework left. Will I have to wait for the announcement after I graduate or can I apply now to get the process started?
You probably need to wait and apply, because if you apply now, you will not be selected to take the AT-SAT due to lack of experience .

You can try to apply and say that you have 3 years of college completed (however many credits it is). If you've had any internships or jobs throughout college, you can count them as part of your work experience. It can't hurt to give it a shot... the worst they can do is say no. Don't tell them you've graduated or you've completed the credits that you haven't actually completed, since you don't want to be caught falsifying information on a government application. They are usually pretty strict about these requirements, but I'd say submit an application anyway and see what happens.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll apply to see what happens. I do have about 10 months of employment/internship experience along with a total of 136 college credits from two schools though I'll have to check to make sure it's accurate. But if I'm still not qualified I'll just reapply after I graduate.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll apply to see what happens. I do have about 10 months of employment/internship experience along with a total of 136 college credits from two schools though I'll have to check to make sure it's accurate. But if I'm still not qualified I'll just reapply after I graduate.

I believe you do qualify for the combined 4 years of college/work, unless I’m looking at this wrong. The 136 credits are worth about 3.4 years of work experience. Add your 10 months of general work experience and I believe you meet the 4 years requirement.

Oh... in that case you should be fine. 120 semester credits = 4 years of college... the FAA estimates 30 credits per school year (which counts as 9 months of work experience if you're combining). You've got more than that, so you should be good to go.

i was going to say... i'm going to PEPC here in a couple weeks with 4 years of school and no degree

With absolutely zero work experience? That's a bit skewed.
Why? It's an entry level professional position with months of employer provided training. There are thousands of college grads hired under the same terms every year in other industries.

Look at it this way: Each year of college completed equates to a year of progressively more responsible work experience. Maybe the college grads are more qualified than the job holders.

With absolutely zero work experience? That's a bit skewed.

I'm going into this with "only" a degree (and I guess an internship if we count that)... I don't think I'm any less qualified than someone who's worked for 3 years just because of that...

I'm going into this with "only" a degree (and I guess an internship if we count that)... I don't think I'm any less qualified than someone who's worked for 3 years just because of that...

It's not about MY perception of what is qualified and what isn't (if you ask me, I've seen more idiots regurgitate enough to get a degree than not...); I just can't imagine that they would want someone straight out of a frat party, and a college football game. The slothdom of college life simply would NOT fly at work, and that's why 120 credits are equivalent to 9mos. of work experience.

The responsibility, attendance, pressure, surely, it's somewhat similar, but...it still says something about a person to be 21-22+ and still be completely financially dependent upon their parents. I'd hate for some 29-year-old who has been working for 13 years (and had no choice of whether to pursue higher ed.) to be passed up upon by a recent college grad who has never known what it is like to struggle, y'know?

Not a personal attack; just my thoughts.

It's not about MY perception of what is qualified and what isn't (if you ask me, I've seen more idiots regurgitate enough to get a degree than not...); I just can't imagine that they would want someone straight out of a frat party, and a college football game. The slothdom of college life simply would NOT fly at work, and that's why 120 credits are equivalent to 9mos. of work experience.
Actually, 120 semester credits and a degree are equivalent to 3 years of progressively responsible work experience, in the eyes of the FAA.

You can't make broad generalizations about college life. For the most part, college is hard work. Term papers, projects, classes, labs. I don't know what party school you went to, but in the real world of the accredited university, college is just as hard or harder than holding a 9-5 job.

The responsibility, attendance, pressure, surely, it's somewhat similar, but...it still says something about a person to be 21-22+ and still be completely financially dependent upon their parents. I'd hate for some 29-year-old who has been working for 13 years (and had no choice of whether to pursue higher ed.) to be passed up upon by a recent college grad who has never known what it is like to struggle, y'know?

Not a personal attack; just my thoughts.

You also have to take into account that not all college students are attending frat parties and football games and being stereotypical "college kids"... I was definitely not one of those... I went to a school that did not even have football, I have never been to a frat party, and I had to work my ass off to finish my degree (B.S. Computer Engineering) in 4 years, whereas many people in school with me took 5 years or switched over to majoring in Management (being a management major was a joke at my school... I should do well as an ATC :crazy:).

I'm not going to argue with you... you're partly right... I don't know what it's like to be totally independent or to struggle for 10 years trying to find work, but I'm not just some recent college grad who breezed through college, partying every weekend, got a degree in some random major and now expects the FAA to pick me first.

Actually, 120 semester credits and a degree are equivalent to 3 years of progressively responsible work experience, in the eyes of the FAA.

You can't make broad generalizations about college life. For the most part, college is hard work. Term papers, projects, classes, labs. I don't know what party school you went to, but in the real world of the accredited university, college is just as hard or harder than holding a 9-5 job.

lolzy1.jpg

Oh, wait...you have a degree.

I just don't know what world you all live in, that you were able to live for 8-9 years (from the age of 14 legal working age here) without even getting a small job during the summer stocking books or something. I wish I was spoiled like that.

I'm finishing up at a tier one university, and still don't think that it held a candle to even a summer's worth of supporting myself. Writing a strong paper, and eating that week are completely different.

Blah Blah blah...I would hate to see anyone get hired in front of me.:rawk:

You also have to take into account that not all college students are attending frat parties and football games and being stereotypical "college kids"... I was definitely not one of those... I went to a school that did not even have football, I have never been to a frat party, and I had to work my ass off to finish my degree (B.S. Computer Engineering) in 4 years, whereas many people in school with me took 5 years or switched over to majoring in Management (being a management major was a joke at my school... I should do well as an ATC :crazy:).

I'm not going to argue with you... you're partly right... I don't know what it's like to be totally independent or to struggle for 10 years trying to find work, but I'm not just some recent college grad who breezed through college, partying every weekend, got a degree in some random major and now expects the FAA to pick me first.

I don't mean to belittle your pursuits; I promise you. I hold academia in SUCH high regard...(if I wouldn't make $7/hr as a graduate researcher under some crotchety tenure prof., believe me, I'd have pursued it further...Haha)
I just think it's a bit of a discrepancy, especially taking into mind the "general" college student, who passed by the skin of the their teeth.

I know someone who wants to be a doctor, and failed elementary physics and calculus twice. Some people are delusional.

lolzy1.jpg

Oh, wait...you have a degree.

I just don't know what world you all live in, that you were able to live for 8-9 years (from the age of 14 legal working age here) without even getting a small job during the summer stocking books or something. I wish I was spoiled like that.

I'm finishing up at a tier one university, and still don't think that it held a candle to even a summer's worth of supporting myself. Writing a strong paper, and eating that week are completely different.

Again, not a good judge... I started working after my freshman year of high school. I worked every single day during the summer and most days after school, however I was paid under the table and can't really use that as any kind of work experience. Yes, I still live at home with my parents and I don't have to pay for the house or food... but everything else I have needed/wanted since I was 15 was bought with my own money that I earned.

It's better than a high school student...a little.

Again, not a good judge... I started working after my freshman year of high school. I worked every single day during the summer and most days after school, however I was paid under the table and can't really use that as any kind of work experience. Yes, I still live at home with my parents and I don't have to pay for the house or food... but everything else I have needed/wanted since I was 15 was bought with my own money that I earned.

Why are you so adamantly defending the fact that college has somehow prepared you for this, when in another thread where you and I were talking you wouldn't even say you were more likely to do well than someone who could barely pass the entrance exam? You would think all that college would have taught you that test scores matter a little:hiya:

Why are you so adamantly defending the fact that college has somehow prepared you for this, when in another thread where you and I were talking you wouldn't even say you were more likely to do well than someone who could barely pass the entrance exam? You would think all that college would have taught you that test scores matter a little:hiya:

Not you again :crazy:

I'm not saying college prepared me for this... I wanted to put it out there that not every college student is a "typical" college student. I worked hard throughout college (I didn't work so hard on that AT-SAT we discussed...) and I just didn't want to be put into this group of lazy, party-going, leeching college students/graduates.

P.S. Saying I could do better than someone who got a 70 on the test is doing the exact thing I'm trying to stop from happening here :)

Back