Another Near Collision At JFK

As usual, the media will have a field day with this topic... and will start bringing in their internal aviation "experts" for a report!

As usual, the media will have a field day with this topic... and will start bringing in their internal aviation "experts" for a report!

yeah! get miles o'brien on CNN as the "expert" since he has a PPL and A FRICKIN CIRRUZ OMGOMGOMG!!11 :crazy:

Wish they would have said what runways they were using. I'm always trying to figure out JFK's operation, and why sometimes they only use parallel runways and then they use perpendicular other times. And it doesn't seem to have much to do with wind.

Wish they would have said what runways they were using. I'm always trying to figure out JFK's operation, and why sometimes they only use parallel runways and then they use perpendicular other times. And it doesn't seem to have much to do with wind.

It has mostly to do with the surrounding airports of LGA and EWR. The traffic patterns for each of the three airports impact the other. Take LGA, for example. You're doing the Expressway Visual for RWY 31. You have to approach the airport using the RWY 4 localizer or the LGA VOR to squeeze in between EWR's traffic pattern and JFK's traffic pattern. Then, once you are at DIALS at 2500' or above, you turn to heading 085 to circle and land on RWY 31 at LGA.

It has mostly to do with the surrounding airports of LGA and EWR. The traffic patterns for each of the three airports impact the other. Take LGA, for example. You're doing the Expressway Visual for RWY 31. You have to approach the airport using the RWY 4 localizer or the LGA VOR to squeeze in between EWR's traffic pattern and JFK's traffic pattern. Then, once you are at DIALS at 2500' or above, you turn to heading 085 to circle and land on RWY 31 at LGA.

How do you know all this?

mind sharing?:D

Well, just look on flightaware and observe the airspace around New York between the three airports. It's even better if you listen to the New York approach control on liveatc.net. The plates can also be found on flightaware for the selected airport. As for the reasoning, you're on your own pal. :)

Heard the audio for this incident and it wasnt that bad. You can hear some urgency in the controllers voice but he handled it very well.

Heard the audio for this incident and it wasnt that bad. You can hear some urgency in the controllers voice but he handled it very well.

The sound quality for the various frequencies associated with JFK is exceptionally good. Unfortuantely, I was not listening in on liveatc for either occurences.

I was told by an EWR controller that a lot of what you are reading about in the media these days is tied up in the arguments between the FAA mgmt and NATCA. He said when something like the event that is described in this article happens, a controller walks downstairs and calls the press. It's a simple tool used effectively by the controllers to further their agenda with the FAA...more controllers and better standard procedures to protect both the controllers and pilots. Good for them if it works.

The sound quality for the various frequencies associated with JFK is exceptionally good. Unfortuantely, I was not listening in on liveatc for either occurences.

Go into the discussion forums or click on captured recordings, the audio is there.

I was told by an EWR controller that a lot of what you are reading about in the media these days is tied up in the arguments between the FAA mgmt and NATCA. He said when something like the event that is described in this article happens, a controller walks downstairs and calls the press. It's a simple tool used effectively by the controllers to further their agenda with the FAA...more controllers and better standard procedures to protect both the controllers and pilots. Good for them if it works.
I wonder if they're calling for the radar problems as well, when the flights (I can only speak for EWR) are grounded early in the morning.

Back