OTS En Route training for 2008

MrFent

So I've been looking at the academy's class schedule

http://www.academy.faa.gov/catalog/course.asp?CHAP=AT

for a few weeks now, & the last class listed for 50143 - (50143) Air Traffic Basics (En Route) goes from 8/19/08 until 9/23/08. Those who pass that will go right into 50145 - (50145) Initial En Route Training which starts on 9/24 & goes until 1/06/09. I keep checking back to see if any more classes have been added to the schedule, but no such luck. Does this mean that the En Route FEBOTS won't be going to OKC until sometime in 2009? Does anyone know if OKC is planning on adding more En Route Basics classes?

They're going to try something new with us to see how it works out. We'll be doing correspondence courses and will take weekly oral tests over the phone and monthly proctored written tests at your closest ATC Facility (open note / open book). For simulator training you'll need a computer with internet access and audio / voice capabilities. For simulator you'll be allowed 3 lifelines... Also, if you believe any of this you're a fool! Of course, I wouldn't put it past them, hehe.

I was actually wondering the same thing, they seem to have quite a few peeps in training now... I would go out on a limb and say probably october for us, I remember someone talking about the 2009 fiscal year starts then.

Yeah, I thought about this. Best case scenario for me would be to get into the July 29th class but that will only be one week after the Memphis PEPC. If we aren't shuffled into the mid August basics class I would think they will have a new schedule for 2009 released in October. There are definitely fewer en route classes than terminal so we may have fewer options and may have to wait longer to get to OKC. Oh well, not a big deal for me.

Someone in my class said that his step-mom who works in management at the Dallas FAA regional office, told him that the FAA is not hiring for the rest of fiscal year 2008. She told him that the reasoning behind this was that they have hired around 2000 newbies now and simply don't have the staff to handle all the trainees. My instructor said they have been short on instructors since the beginning of the year. That is one reason why in the tower class they no longer give you a PV in ground. The guy in my class said she was pretty sure of it. That could be bad news for those who are taking the ATSAT or who are already in the process. I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble but maybe some of you who haven't been hired should inquire about this. It could also be a regional thing I suppose.
You guys who have already been selected will probably be in the AUG class. I have two friends (feb 08 apps) who have been selected for ZNY that were told they would more than likely be in that one. Good luck!!!

Oh Lordy... I sooooo want to post something in response sooooo bad, but after having someone else read it I was advised not to. :whatever:

Oh Lordy... I sooooo want to post something in response sooooo bad, but after having someone else read it I was advised not to. :whatever:

In response to what post? And please PM me with the response. I would be curious to know whatever it is you have heard that you're not sharing :crazy:

Unless you're referring to the manager at the Dallas regional office. I already read that discussion.

Oh boy. Its not bad news for PUBNAT2 people is it? Please tell me if it is so I don't get my hopes up any further.

I just came from the NY PEPC on the 7th and I talked to 2 different HR girls there as well as a manager from miami center who did my interview and all 3 of them were implying that we probably wont get class dates until October. They also referred to the fiscal year and budget as issues. I then followed up on this by talking to elaine mccollum in OKC who does the scheduling and she said they are full through september and have not gotten the schedule yet for october and after. I then preceeded to ask her to take someones spot for a sooner date like august if they cancel, die, etc. lol, and she said she would try but only if there are other people going to the same facility I am going to also in the class because supposedly the FAA doesn't like to have someone going through the training process by themself.

I just came from the NY PEPC on the 7th and I talked to 2 different HR girls there as well as a manager from miami center who did my interview and all 3 of them were implying that we probably wont get class dates until October. They also referred to the fiscal year and budget as issues. I then followed up on this by talking to elaine mccollum in OKC who does the scheduling and she said they are full through september and have not gotten the schedule yet for october and after. I then preceeded to ask her to take someones spot for a sooner date like august if they cancel, die, etc. lol, and she said she would try but only if there are other people going to the same facility I am going to also in the class because supposedly the FAA doesn't like to have someone going through the training process by themself.

Good info. October is fine by me. I kinda assumed it was either August 19th or wait until the new fiscal year. The fiscal year budget seems to play a factor in alot of decision making by the FAA. I have to say they did a pretty decent job of moving the FEBOTS through in less than a year. Maybe we will all be at our facilities by late winter/early spring??? Not bad compared to the 07 guys who are probably still waiting on their AT-SAT scores. :buck:

As long as I get an offer letter before Dec 12, it doesn't matter to me if I go to OKC in 2009 or not. I've got a decent job right now, but my 31st birthday is rapidly approaching.

I would like to confirm October being the word from HR when i was at NY PEPC also, so don't get your hopes up for August haha

I can't wait to get to OKC and have Jimmy's Egg on the weekends... and Ted's Escondido... I am totally drueling now.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Enroute training is 6 months... you still have to do URET after initial enroute.
What the heck is URET? So, just for clarification, because this is totally news to me-- enroute trainees are in OKC for a total of 6 months? and are you sure?

Oh man my wife is going to divorce me
You may want to bring her along. I had planned to just go to OKC myself so we'd have 2 incomes. I thought this was the "logical" choice. I received counsel from some very wise people that said leaving your wife for 3 months is a HUGE mistake. Long story short, she's coming with me, and I'd say it's the right choice. Somethin to think about. . .

Back