Decline the offer?

RollnDollars86

Some people attend the PEPC just to get the paperwork over with just to speed up the process. When exactly is the best time to decline the offer to ensure all the the paperwork gets checked out?

I think I read somewhere that the PEPC process is for this SPECIFIC offering. If you go to the PEPC, then turn down your offer...you'll have to go to the back of the line and hope you get picked up again. THEN you'll have to go through the entire process YET AGAIN!

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember hearing/reading)

Some people attend the PEPC just to get the paperwork over with just to speed up the process. When exactly is the best time to decline the offer to ensure all the the paperwork gets checked out?

I don't think it works like that...Have you been accepted for a PEPC?

People go to the PEPC to get everything done in one day and to get hired. If you go the non-PEPC route than you have to complete all the tasks on your own time, but you will be able to do them without the travel neccessary for most people going PEPC.

Your post does not make sense. Please clarify.

I agree that your post doesn't quite make sense. When you attend the PEPC, you're going there to get your tentative offer and class date (and get everything else done). I think if you are going to turn it down, you shouldn't waste anyone's time at the PEPC because there are plenty of people who want to be invited and have that opportunity... you'd be making them go through all the paperwork and interview and everything just for you to turn it down at the end.

edit: I've also heard the same thing utahaviator is saying... you'd have to go through a PEPC (or non-PEPC route) again for another offer... don't waste anyone's time...

WOW....if you are serious about attending a PEPC just to process the paperwork and then decline the offer---you need to be eliminated from the process completly and not allowed to re-apply. That is a complete load of CRAP!!!

I have stated this in another thread but they have moved the TOL to the second part of the PEPC. At the LA PEPC it was interview first, then TOL second. If you declined the TOL you didn't get to do the physical, psych etc... So you would essentially waste money on a trip :laff:

Because from what I've read, after you go through the whole PEPC and decline after the FOL, you're ahead of the game. The next time you get a call for the PEPC, the only thing you need to do is the interview. i don't know if thats true or not but just wanna clarify everything.

Because from what I've read, after you go through the whole PEPC and decline after the FOL, you're ahead of the game. The next time you get a call for the PEPC, the only thing you need to do is the interview. i don't know if thats true or not but just wanna clarify everything.
But who says they will call you again? If you go through the PEPC and then decline the offer, you may just get black-listed. Nobody knows!

I is actually not a bad idea. Once you have your interview and everything else done and out of the way, make up an excuse on why you can't take it. Many have had there facilities changed this way. They need so many people if you let them know before you get close to going to OKC, they can ussually work with you. If you decline the PEPC you'll just have to do another and your chances of getting picked up for another facility are just the same.

My advice from what I have seen is to go get the stuff out of the way and then try to switch.

Now all this being said, the proccess is always changing, so they may start frowning on that. To this point, they have not and I have seen quite a few take this route.

I would strongly suggest you do not go to a PEPC with the intent of turning down the offer. You can turn down a position and not be penalized for it other than having to wait a bit longer. I turned down a position in Indiana as soon as I could to avoid any confusion about what position I was being hired for.

There was one guy on here a few months ago who showed up for a PEPC he was invited to and was told once he got there to go home because according to the FAA he was being interviewed for another position altogether. I think there was some miscommunication because he was picked up for two positions in different states and he turned one down but the FAA mistakenly had him turning down the position he was actually trying to interview for. You don't want this type of confusion later in the process because you went to a PEPC for a position you're not interested in.

When I turned down the Indiana position, another guy from the FAA called me minutes later to confirm this decision and to make sure I still wanted to be considered for future applications. The longer you lead them on, the more complicated I think it will become and it may come back to bite you.

RollinD--I don't think your intentions are bad here, but you really shouldn't waste anyone's time by going through the PEPC when there are people who want to go but can't because its full. Not to mention the people doing the paperwork and sending out emails on false pretenses.

The PEPC invitation clearly asks for you to tell them if you do not want to continue with the process....not let us go through all this work so you can back out at the last possible minute

Just my $.02, since you asked and all :buck:

Why would you go to the PEPC with the intentions of turning it down? What is the point of applying? So you didn't get the place you wanted...BIG DEAL!! A lot of others in your boat...accept the thing, get certified, then worry about going where you want to go...

RollinD--I don't think your intentions are bad here, but you really shouldn't waste anyone's time by going through the PEPC when there are people who want to go but can't because its full. Not to mention the people doing the paperwork and sending out emails on false pretenses.

The PEPC invitation clearly asks for you to tell them if you do not want to continue with the process....not let us go through all this work so you can back out at the last possible minute

Just my $.02, since you asked and all :buck:

Yeah, let the other guy go in your place. Who knows how quickly it would really speed things up? So you apply for PUBNAT2, get an offer, don't have to go to a PEPC. You may head to OKC a whole whopping 3-4 weeks sooner.

Why would you go to the PEPC with the intentions of turning it down? What is the point of applying? So you didn't get the place you wanted...BIG DEAL!! A lot of others in your boat...accept the thing, get certified, then worry about going where you want to go...

I would strongly suggest you do not go to a PEPC with the intent of turning down the offer. You can turn down a position and not be penalized for it other than having to wait a bit longer. I turned down a position in Indiana as soon as I could to avoid any confusion about what position I was being hired for.

There was one guy on here a few months ago who showed up for a PEPC he was invited to and was told once he got there to go home because according to the FAA he was being interviewed for another position altogether. I think there was some miscommunication because he was picked up for two positions in different states and he turned one down but the FAA mistakenly had him turning down the position he was actually trying to interview for. You don't want this type of confusion later in the process because you went to a PEPC for a position you're not interested in.

When I turned down the Indiana position, another guy from the FAA called me minutes later to confirm this decision and to make sure I still wanted to be considered for future applications. The longer you lead them on, the more complicated I think it will become and it may come back to bite you.

Well all I can say is I have been around the proccess for 1.5 years. The harm done is just the same whether he declines before or after.

Since Spetember of 07, I have seen many go this route and not seen a single one who has not had their location changed(before then, switching was hard). If he turns down the PEPC, then he will have to wait all that time and lose the seniority.

Go get all that stuff done, then before you get to OKC (preferably within a week), give a solid reason why you cannot go to that facility. Once your in OKC switching is tough, but before OKC it is not as hard as a lot of people think. The FAA needs alot of people and if your breathing, you'll get what you want until you have actually started(then you get what they want to give you).

Turning down the oppurtunity to get your interview, medical, security clearance out of the way is not smart. Get the stuff done and if you are a "desireable" candidate they will move you if you give them time.

:yeahthat: Quit whining people and just worry about getting your foot in the door first.

HD

:yeahthat: Quit whining people and just worry about getting your foot in the door first.

HD

Or get the hell out of the way and let the applicants who ARE interested in ATC and are WILLING to go where ever they are sent to!!!

You people are talking like PEPC is some huge thing. It's just a way to get all your crap done and cuts down on the possibility of the FAA losing your ####. Which happens ALL THE TIME. All of us terminal guys dont even KNOW where we're going yet, but are still attending PEPC. Go get all your paperwork filled out, accept your TOL, then try to change your facility. It's as easy as that. Don't listen to the haters on this one.

Back