3 day weekend

MrFent

I just realized that if I get hired in the new few months, today is probably the last 3 day weekend I will have in a LONG time.

I just realized that if I get hired in the new few months, today is probably the last 3 day weekend I will have in a LONG time.

Its not all bad. Trainess can't work holidays if they're unusable so for a little while when you get to your facility you'll get the holidays off:)

HD

Its not all bad. Trainess can't work holidays if they're unusable so for a little while when you get to your facility you'll get the holidays off:)

HD

I was wondering this myself. I got hired for ZDV and used to work at ZDV as an RPO for WCG.

I remember that sometimes, the developmentals would get the holidays off because they follow the WCG instructors schedule which is 0630-1500 M-F and holidays off. However, sometimes the developmentals were required to work the holidays as an A-side. I am not sure if it is like this at the other facilities. I spoke w/ my good friend who as been at ZDV for 5 months now and he told me that I can probably expect to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year which I expect to arrive at my facility around the second week of NOV.

I was wondering this myself. I got hired for ZDV and used to work at ZDV as an RPO for WCG.

I remember that sometimes, the developmentals would get the holidays off because they follow the WCG instructors schedule which is 0630-1500 M-F and holidays off. However, sometimes the developmentals were required to work the holidays as an A-side. I am not sure if it is like this at the other facilities. I spoke w/ my good friend who as been at ZDV for 5 months now and he told me that I can probably expect to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year which I expect to arrive at my facility around the second week of NOV.

I had to be checked out through the tower (up/down fac) before they scheduled me for OT, holidays and credit.

HD

I had to be checked out through the tower (up/down fac) before they scheduled me for OT, holidays and credit.

HD

How long did it take you to check out on the tower? Were you ATC in the military prior? I only ask b/c I am going to an up/down facility and have only talked to prior military ATC on how long it takes to check out and I am not prior ATC....

How long did it take you to check out on the tower? Were you ATC in the military prior? I only ask b/c I am going to an up/down facility and have only talked to prior military ATC on how long it takes to check out and I am not prior ATC....

I took a month to get checked out but its all based on hours so really time is subjective. The minimum for local was 40 hours and I used 45-50. I was prior atc in the military, 3 towers with almost two years at a contract tower as well. The other VRA here also made it through training quickly so obviously experience helps. We have two CTI students with no real aviation experience and they're doing okay but they're also using most of their hours. It will be their first CTO so thats not unusual. Our facility also trains based on your experience level. I trained on any position available when I got here whereas the CTI's are starting in clearance, moving to ground and then local. Not all facilities do it this way though. We have yet to get an OTS hire and don't have any slated here as of now. What level and where (if you don't mind saying) are you going?

HD

I'm four weeks deep in OKC basics and this is my first holiday off in four years.
I miss working holidays already:D
I know...I shant get used to it.

I took a month to get checked out but its all based on hours so really time is subjective. The minimum for local was 40 hours and I used 45-50. I was prior atc in the military, 3 towers with almost two years at a contract tower as well. The other VRA here also made it through training quickly so obviously experience helps. We have two CTI students with no real aviation experience and they're doing okay but they're also using most of their hours. It will be their first CTO so thats not unusual. Our facility also trains based on your experience level. I trained on any position available when I got here whereas the CTI's are starting in clearance, moving to ground and then local. Not all facilities do it this way though. We have yet to get an OTS hire and don't have any slated here as of now. What level and where (if you don't mind saying) are you going?

HD

I am going to a level 9 facility (TUL)... Tulsa, OK

I'm four weeks deep in OKC basics and this is my first holiday off in four years.
I miss working holidays already:D
I know...I shant get used to it.

I'm heading out there in august and I was under the impression that we would get no holidays off. That's kinda good news considering thanksgiving and Christmas would've been spent in Oklahoma alone with the wife and son back in Illinois.

Back