Can I fly this question...

PGT

I have been checked out in a a C172SP after flying a PA28-140 for my ppl training. However, the SP I usually fly is getting a new engine so I can't fly it. Can I take one of the schools other 172's (older models) for a local flight?

No type rating required obviously
Same plane, just different version

Why are you asking us? Its up to the folks who own/operate the airplane. As far as the FAA is concerned you may fly any single-engine airplane that is not complex, high performance, a tailwheel, or pressurized.

Only the place that you rent fro can answer the question of whether they will allow you to fly their carbureted 172 after having flown a fuel injected 172 and a carbureted PA-28

to see if its right?

There are a lot of things the FAA allows that I wouldn't do.

Per the FAA, yes ( as a PP ASEL, you can fly the older 172). Per the insurance company, you will most likely have to go up with an instructor and get checked out. If not then it might not be a bad idea to go up with an instructor anyways if you have not ever flown a 172 with this type of engine. Hope this helps

as far as FAA goes you can fly any plane with less than 200 BHP, not a complex or tailwheel and as long as its a single engine

so u can fly any 172, any archer, any ercoupe, or anything else like it :)

The only restriction from the gummint is as mentioned above (unless you're a student pilot). You're dealing with an insurance issue. If they give you the keys, fly it. Just remember that the carb heat isn't a dusty knob on a carb'd 172.

to see if its right?

Me too, but how would we know if it's right for you to fly an airplane you haven't flown before (even one very similar to what you have flown before) without a checkout or whether it's right for the owner to let you?

I think I'm really not understanding your question. Probably my fault.

In my flying club, I was checked out in a 172SP, and had to go on another checkride to get signed off on the older 172, just because of the use of carb heat. They will likely have to check you out just for insurance purposes.

as far as FAA goes you can fly any plane with less than 200 BHP, not a complex or tailwheel and as long as its a single engine

so u can fly any 172, any archer, any ercoupe, or anything else like it :)

Nitpicky clarification: 200 or less BHP. :crazy:

Oh, panther piss. It's a 172. It's a frigging Skyhawk. Go forth, fly it, and have fun. There's nothing it has that the other one didn't have.

Oh, panther piss. It's a 172. It's a frigging Skyhawk. Go forth, fly it, and have fun. There's nothing it has that the other one didn't have.
Panther piss yourself. Sometimes pilots who have flown a bunch of makes and models forget how, in those early transitions, even small differences meant a big deal.

Panther piss yourself. Sometimes pilots who have flown a bunch of makes and models forget how, in those early transitions, even small differences meant a big deal.

Even in my lowly GA days, I wasn't afraid to step from one version of 172 to another.

I say go for it, man.

In my flying club, I was checked out in a 172SP, and had to go on another checkride to get signed off on the older 172, just because of the use of carb heat. They will likely have to check you out just for insurance purposes.

Doesn't a PA28-140 already have carb heat?

mtsu_av8er said:
Even in my lowly GA days, I wasn't afraid to step from one version of 172 to another.

Lloyd used to come to me in tears when they upgraded him from a 210L to a 210N. "BUT THE SPEEDS ARE DIFFERENT...THE GEAR WORKS DIFFERENT. I'M SCARED". Naturally I set my jaw, handed him a hankie and said "there, there, don't worry about it." Now he's a former flight team captain and a Jet Pilot. Hell, I'll bet he even gets pass benefits. Maybe he'll come visit his mentors sometime. :D

You can probably switch to the carb'd 172 from a fuel injected 172 without a check out. Its not like you're jumping into a 172 with a G1000 without a checkout. Just check with the owner as mentioned above.

That being said, I was able to switch from a 172SP to a 172N without a check out but still had the benefit of an instructor with me for the first time as it was my BFR. They're not all that different, but using the primer and the carb heat were new, so I was happy that someone was there to show me how to use it for the first time...since you've already flown both a carb and a fuel injected, I would think you'd be ok.

to see if its right?

This attitude will help keep you out of trouble. "Panther piss" will get you into trouble. I would play it safe and get SOME FORM of instruction in the older 172.

OK. Here's some instruction. There will be a checklist in the POH, and a section on carb heat and its use. Use one, read the other. Then go flying.

Lloyd used to come to me in tears when they upgraded him from a 210L to a 210N. "BUT THE SPEEDS ARE DIFFERENT...THE GEAR WORKS DIFFERENT. I'M SCARED". Naturally I set my jaw, handed him a hankie and said "there, there, don't worry about it." Now he's a former flight team captain and a Jet Pilot. Hell, I'll bet he even gets pass benefits. Maybe he'll come visit his mentors sometime. :D

LMAO - you, Sir, are the winner!:D

nosehair said:
Oooo, stand back; the Great One is among us....

Standing back won't help ya. You just have to kinda take it.

Back