My Rant On Sportys

ackeight

Here's a quick story about how I'm P.O.'d at Sportys.

I bought a headset from them in November of 07. Wore it a few times and decided that the headstrap was not good enough for me. I put it back into the bag in which it came and let it sit there waiting for the Clarity aloft pro's to come out. Fast foreward to June 08'. I would like to exchange it for another more expensive pair. I sent it in waiting for it to be "evaluated".

This is the email I got after 2 weeks of "evaluation".

The criteria used to evaluate products for a refund or exchange includes being in the same, new condition as when shipped to you, and being returned on a timely basis.

We would like to have exchanged the Plantronics headset, however, the purchase date of November 1, 2007 exceeds the "timely basis" provision of our return policy.

We sent you headset to Plantronis for evaluatiion. After checking, they have returned it to factory specifications. We are returning it to you confident it will provide you with many years of service.

Sincerely,
Jack Lynch
Executive Vice President

Ok so now I'm steaming. I go onto their website and look at their "One Year Guarantee". Which I knew about before the return.

Our one-year guarantee has not changed since we introduced our first product in 1962. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, let us know--we will make it right. If you would like a refund or exchange, please return the product on a timely basis in the same condition in which it was received.

Notice the part in Orange. I was not 100% satisfied. I sent it in in perfect condition (yeah right they had to refurb it after 10 uses) and I was expecting them to "make it right".

After talking to a customer rep and discussing their 1 year guarantee is bogus and they don't explain what a timely manner is I should be able to exchange it. It seems like I'm throwing words to him that are above his education level and I tell him to give me Jack Lynch.

I then proceed to explain to him their one year guarantee is crap. They need to not be ambigous about their "make it right" concept. He say's you can return it in a year if it's defected and they will fix it. If you want to exchange it it has to be a "timely manner". I asked him why did you just say you will make it right and not just say we'll fix it if it's broke? He threw some B.S. at me and then I asked him what is a timely matter then? If you aren't going to throw a certain time on their you can screw the customer over after they have only had the product for a few weeks and say it wasn't a "timely manner". He says they stand by their return policy, which is Crap!

Alright. I'm done. I will not be shopping there anymore unless I know I'm not returning the damned thing.

P.S. If you want to know the progess of your return YOU have to call them and see what's going on. Their return process all around sucks.:banghead:

A timely manner does seem like it should be before a year.

Yeah man ... I'd have to agree. You weren't dissatisfied with the purchase, but rather the product (over a year later).

Here's my rant on Sporty's: Quit sending me a catalog every 14 days if you're not going to offer anything new. Stop killin' trees!

I'm not sure about your specific circumstances, but I've had the dubious pleasure of meeting H.S. One of the creepiest human beings I've ever met. And of course there are extremely unsavory rumors regarding just what type of guy he is. Being litigation-sensitive, I shan't elaborate, but suffice it to say that the whole place up in uh (Batavia?) seemed like a Pod-Person landing site. Spend your money on Ebay.

7-8 months is far from timely. Also, the same condition in which it was received translates to "never been used".

You need to look at it from their perspective. What do they get out of the deal? A used headset that they can not sell as new? They are not in the rental business.

Customer is wrong in this situation. You're trying to cheat the system. If you didn't like them you should of returned them right away. I'm glad they didn't take them back, crap like this just raises prices.

Boy, I bet these responses aren't what the OP expected. Reminds me of the thread regarding someone expecting to receive special treatment on a flight because she was a student pilot. :rolleyes:

Boy, I bet these responses aren't what the OP expected. Reminds me of the thread regarding someone expecting to receive special treatment on a flight because she was a student pilot. :rolleyes:
Oh man that was the best post ever!

I'm a student pilot and I demand a window seat! HA......thanks for reminding me about that.

Ive worked with Jack. He is a pretty fair guy and easy to talk to. I dont think he was trying to rip you off.

To the OP, you got exactly what was promised.

If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, let us know--we will make it right.

It seems by returning it to factory condition, they made it right. If you don't like it, buy a different headset. I'm not gonna buy a $75 RCA TV and expect it to produce HD images.

If you would like a refund or exchange, please return the product on a timely basis in the same condition in which it was received.

Slightly used isn't the same condition as new. Therefore, you don't have any right to a refund or an exchange. I'm not going to lick this Twix bar, then try to return it to Circle K.

Sorry to rain, but no foul play here, even if they did lame-out on the "timely manner/1-yr" bologna.

I was mostly mad about they left me in the dark for 2 weeks until a few phone calls and e-mails later. Also, I understand the timing issue, but a year is a year. If it was a car dealership and someting I spent a little more money on, lawyers could win in that instance because of the wording of the "year guarantee". I wasn't expecting any sympathizers on this thread, I was just ranting.

7-8 months is far from timely. Also, the same condition in which it was received translates to "never been used".

You need to look at it from their perspective. What do they get out of the deal? A used headset that they can not sell as new? They are not in the rental business.

They get the refurbed anyways and sell them as new. Just like every other business out there.

year is a year.

I read the guarantee to mean that within a year, they will "make it right", whatever that means, but to return it for a refund or exchange requires a "timely manner."

Vague, sure, but not "crap", if they actually try to work with you. Sounds like Sporty's did.

Where can I find that? Sounds hilarious!!!

I was mostly mad about they left me in the dark for 2 weeks until a few phone calls and e-mails later. Also, I understand the timing issue, but a year is a year. If it was a car dealership and someting I spent a little more money on, lawyers could win in that instance because of the wording of the "year guarantee". I wasn't expecting any sympathizers on this thread, I was just ranting.

You bought a headset, used it, 7-8 months later you wanted to send it back? Sorry but that's not how it works.

If you would like a refund or exchange, please return the product on a timely basis in the same condition in which it was received

No case with a lawyer either, you received it brand new and unopened and want to return it used almost a year later.

Them not calling you for 2 weeks is not acceptable but maybe they were testing it to see what was wrong with it?

:laff: That was a great read. How about Scarebus? :laff:

Back