AT-SAT Section Weighting

drumpet

Hey,

So I took the AT-SAT this afternoon, and had some questions about the weighting on the sections. I felt really good about the math, dials, scan, and analogies. The scenario part I thought was a little rough, I had one mid-air and one plane crashed into one of the airports. Plus, my traffic patterns were a little tight which resulted in a few more separation errors than I would have liked in a 15 second period.

The letter factory went fine, but I got the red box a couple time for silly mistakes (trying to go a little too fast, I think).

Anyway, how heavily are the scenarios weighed and how big of a deal are a couple mistakes in the letter factory?

Thanks!

Hey,

So I took the AT-SAT this afternoon, and had some questions about the weighting on the sections. I felt really good about the math, dials, scan, and analogies. The scenario part I thought was a little rough, I had one mid-air and one plane crashed into one of the airports. Plus, my traffic patterns were a little tight which resulted in a few more separation errors than I would have liked in a 15 second period.

The letter factory went fine, but I got the red box a couple time for silly mistakes (trying to go a little too fast, I think).

Anyway, how heavily are the scenarios weighed and how big of a deal are a couple mistakes in the letter factory?

Thanks!
cant really tell you how much one portion is worth, or even which one is worth the most....all i know is they dont expect things to be perfect. i think i had a few OE's on the scenario portion when i took mine....as far as letter factory goes....i doubt i even got half of those stupid questions right as i guessed on about 3/4 of the questions. i walked out of there thinking (and i have talked to a lot of guys who had the same thought, who got the same, if not a better grade than me)....wow theres no way i made an 85+ and when i finally got my grade....i got a 95...

LOL

Im not, I talked to him after the test and we were just talking about the different parts and I told him I think I screwed up a lil bit on the ATST part and he said not to worry much and that the Psyc part was the weighted the most.

LOL

Im not, I talked to him after the test and we were just talking about the different parts and I told him I think I screwed up a lil bit on the ATST part and he said not to worry much and that the Psyc part was the weighted the most.

Are you sure he wasn't joking?

Are you sure he wasn't joking?

I can believe that he wasn't. Your personality and psych health is REALLY important to the FAA, if there is any sort of red flag raised in this department then you can bet that you'll be tossed out of the applicant pool. Had a girl get to A80 as a trainee and then they found out she was bulimic and fired her. They asked my dad "do you love your mom?" so many times during the psych evaluation that he thought he was getting it wrong. :panic:

I can believe that he wasn't. Your personality and psych health is REALLY important to the FAA, if there is any sort of red flag raised in this department then you can bet that you'll be tossed out of the applicant pool. Had a girl get to A80 as a trainee and then they found out she was bulimic and fired her. They asked my dad "do you love your mom?" so many times during the psych evaluation that he thought he was getting it wrong. :panic:

I can believe it too, but I'm finding it slightly amusing if this is true. The one part no one worries about (because you really can't) and the one part we all think isn't worth anything on the test is actually the most important part. It does make sense... I just never thought about it that way...

I thought the green book says personality is not weighted at all, and that it's more like a survey.

Haha, either way, if personality is weighted a lot, NICE!

Anytime the instructions read "there is no right or wrong answer," I immediately presume that:

A.) There's more than one right answer
B.) You should pick the one that's "most" right, and,
C.) You can REALLY screw yourself on this part.

I don't think they'll ask me any questions about the orange panda that lives in my closet, though, so I'm feeling good about it.

when i took the test i specifically remember reading (just before i took the personality portion) that it was not weighted

It's just funny to me because I screwed up slightly during that part of the test. I was hitting 1's instead of 5's for about ten questions before I realized what I was doing. You can't go back on this part of the test. The facilitator asked me if I had any questions and I asked how important that section was because I screwed up and he seriously would not answer me and told me good luck! The way he danced around the question I thought was really funny to me but it makes sense now.

when i took the test i specifically remember reading (just before i took the personality portion) that it was not weighted

I thought I remembered reading something like that too but I also specifically remember it saying that this portion could disqualify you if you give too many contradictory answers.

So I understand why the personality portion would mean a lot, but are we saying this has weight in your score or just that it's important when they're evaluating your answers on that portion?

Back