Taxi to 27...

3enginejock

I have a quick question. When I was working on my PPL my instructor always told me that when you call up ground for taxi and he says "N3333 Taxi to 27", you can then taxi to 27 crossing any runways that are on the way.

I recently started working on my Instrument at Riverside ATP, my new instructor here has been telling that it is NOT ok to cross runways even when cleared to taxi to a runway unless specifically told "cleared to cross".

So, which is the right one?

Your private instructor was right. Its still a good idea to visually make sure that the runway you are crossing isn't inadvertently being used by someone however.

I have a quick question. When I was working on my PPL my instructor always told me that when you call up ground for taxi and he says "N3333 Taxi to 27", you can then taxi to 27 crossing any runways that are on the way.

I recently started working on my Instrument at Riverside ATP, my new instructor here has been telling that it is NOT ok to cross runways even when cleared to taxi to a runway unless specifically told "cleared to cross".

So, which is the right one?
Technically they are both wrong.
Change the bold part to read, any runway except the one you are cleared to.

yeah i echo all of the above. "taxi to rwy XX" clears you to taxi to that runway and specifies no hold short instructions. It doesn not give you permision to enter that runway.

With as big a deal as runway incursions are now, they are very specific about hold short instructions. they will tell you where to hold short.

Even better, try and avoid 'to.' you could leave it at "taxi runway 27." or just "taxi 27."

That way you won't be taxiing 227. That's a Fairchild.

Even better, try and avoid 'to.' you could leave it at "taxi runway 27." or just "taxi 27."
That way you won't be taxiing 227. That's a Fairchild.

The "to" is critical.

5. When ATC clears an aircraft to "taxi to" an assigned takeoff runway, the absence of holding instructions authorizes the aircraft to "cross" all runways which the taxi route intersects except the assigned takeoff runway. It does not include authorization to "taxi onto" or "cross" the assigned takeoff runway at any point. In order to preclude misunderstandings in radio communications, ATC will not use the word "cleared" in conjunction with authorization for aircraft to taxi.
6. In the absence of holding instructions, a clearance to "taxi to" any point other than an assigned takeoff runway is a clearance to cross all runways that intersect the taxi route to that point.

If I received a cleareance to just "Taxi 27L" I would be asking for clarification.

The "to" is critical.

5. When ATC clears an aircraft to "taxi to" an assigned takeoff runway, the absence of holding instructions authorizes the aircraft to "cross" all runways which the taxi route intersects except the assigned takeoff runway. It does not include authorization to "taxi onto" or "cross" the assigned takeoff runway at any point. In order to preclude misunderstandings in radio communications, ATC will not use the word "cleared" in conjunction with authorization for aircraft to taxi.
6. In the absence of holding instructions, a clearance to "taxi to" any point other than an assigned takeoff runway is a clearance to cross all runways that intersect the taxi route to that point.

If I received a cleareance to just "Taxi 27L" I would be asking for clarification.

What I was referring to is with the read back after being given a taxi clearance. I prefer to read back "Taxiing runway 27." If I get one of those infamous 'cross all runways en route' clearances and there is any chance for confusion or more than one direct route I prefer to read back, "Taxiing runway 27 via K, B, F." (my intended taxi route) Just a bit of CYA.

Has anybody else experienced the new clearance "chunking" as they call it? Instead of giving a whole route at one time they give it to you in small segments so the read backs are easier. I like it except I don't like to be chunked at.

Just to echo, you can cross all taxiways and runways other than the active. If there are multiple active runways, be sure to CYA with ground before crossing and--as always--if there's ever any doubt, don't continue until you double-check.

EDIT: This, by the way, does not apply north of the border. I know of a couple people who got dinged up in Canada for crossing a non-active runway. No crossing runways in Canada without specific instructions.

As to the chunking, I heard that there was a ATC directive that went out recently to give complete taxi instructions (that is, "Taxi to 07 via H, F, A" as opposed to simply "Taxi 07") and sometimes they're chunking because we GA savages aren't used to having a pen ready to copy down taxi instructions. I don't mind the chunking so much at big, unfamiliar airports, but it's a bit comical at places with a single runway and only a half-dozen taxiways.

As to the chunking, I heard that there was a ATC directive that went out recently to give complete taxi instructions. I don't mind the chunking so much at big, unfamiliar airports, but it's a bit comical at places with a single runway and only a half-dozen taxiways.

Yeah, the first time they started that it caught me off guard. The GA savages part gave me a chuckle :laff:

Back