Giving up.

Spbeyond

Hello all. I dont know if any of you remember my story. Fought to get my medical because of Childhood ADD. Then a few months after getting it I began to feel funny. Well after a Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis I was crushed, I began to wander. I have never not had a goal before. I knew I wanted to fly from my childhood. I have a journal from kindergarten that they made us wright in that says when I grow up I want to be a pilot. I have been working alot. I now have to have insurance so I work full time. But I know that eventually I will have to get in school and do something. I have tried twice. With bad results. I was holding onto the idea that maybe someday I would be able to rec fly. But as it turns out I may have to resort to going back onto ADD pills just to get thru school. I know this will most likely completely end my dream of ever flying. I dont know what else to do. Unless I go back to school I wont be able to pay for a plane anyway. So I am probably going to have to just give up.

I wish you all well, please fly safe and know how lucky you are.

Andrew H

best of luck to you, in whatever you decide to do. your post puts things in perspective. alot of people constantly complain about flying without realizing their are others that may not even have the option.

You can still fly! I know a guy that has type I. He can only get a class 3, and it is restricted to 6 months. I don't what know hoops he had to jump through, but he did it.

Also, have you ever been DENIED a medical? If not, look into becoming a Sport Pilot.

You may never be able to fly, but you can still stay in aviation. Why not look into one of the other careers that will allow you to be in the industry. Maybe a mechanic?

It's heartwrenching to read your story. So many of us take things for granted. But you owe it to yourself to keep fighting, find a way, come up with a solution. And if you never do figure out how to make it happen, change your goals. RC airplanes are fun, Golf is fun, families are fun...you can have a meaningful and productive life without a pilot's certificate.

You may never be able to fly, but you can still stay in aviation. Why not look into one of the other careers that will allow you to be in the industry. Maybe a mechanic?
not sure if youve been paying attention lately, most of the airlines are letting people go, not hiring more. besides, i have a family member who works in the maintenance portion for a major. it is not a job worth having anymore

I know it sucks right now, but you'll find another route to take. Honestly, after you fly for a bit you realize it's like any other job. You might as well start looking for careers that need people and actually respect you enough to pay a livable salary. I know that it sounds like a bunch of bitching, but in some ways this career can really suck. I made a grand total of 20,000 last year as a regional FO. I made more money than that when I was in high school Caddying.

Get into a career that you make enough money at and just find somebody to fly with. Nobody said you can't fly, just that you can't get a medical.

not sure if youve been paying attention lately, most of the airlines are letting people go, not hiring more. besides, i have a family member who works in the maintenance portion for a major. it is not a job worth having anymore

Their are other jobs than those with the majors or even the airlines at all, yeah? Now is the time to start training for a career, not when everyone is hiring, or at least that has been my experience. Some of the kids I taught back in '01 and '02 (last time the industry was in the crapper) are now RJ capts.

gee thanks for the advice...Did you read that in the jeppesen private pilot manual? The guy has potentially had his dreams crushed, and was suggested other means of remaning in the industry that he loves...He doesn't need your negative response. I'm so sick of people with zero experience giving their expert opinion.

theres a difference between being negative and looking at things with a realistic perspective. if you are so sick of people with "zero experience" giving their opinion then you probably shouldnt ever turn on the tv, or go onto any message boards on the internet.

Most medication to treat ADD is disqualifying for any type of medical and also Sport Pilots.

Sport Pilots don't need a medical, and as long as they have never been denied for one, they can fly. The pilot makes the decision as to whether they are "airworthy" or not.

http://sportpilot.org/faqs/Medical FAQs.html

You must determine your medical fitness before flying, so consult with the doctor who prescribed the medication to ensure that it will not interfere with your piloting of an aircraft. Once you are established on a medicine, you and your doctor may determine that it has no adverse effects on you and therefore flying can be resumed.

Thanks for the clarification, mojo.

Andrew:
What's the actual cause of the grounding? The only one I see is the meds, but in your signature you reference the diabetes?

I'm not trying to be dismissive of the issues at hand, but have you ever considered trying alternative treatments that would not require the meds? If this is something you really want to do, you might want to look into it. There's bound to be something you might at least want to look into.

If it's something you really want to do, expend all options before moving on or giving up entirely. There's no sense in giving up a dream if there's a possibility that you don't have to.

Im insulin dependant. I will be on constant insulin injections or pump therapy until I die. That alone will disqualify me permanently from anything but a 3rd class. I dont know about being a sport pilot.

I dont know about a solution for my school problems. I feel like the only way for me to get thru school is with some "help" and if I dont do school I cant afford to fly anyway.

Hello all. I dont know if any of you remember my story. Fought to get my medical because of Childhood ADD. Then a few months after getting it I began to feel funny. Well after a Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis I was crushed, I began to wander. I have never not had a goal before. I knew I wanted to fly from my childhood. I have a journal from kindergarten that they made us wright in that says when I grow up I want to be a pilot. I have been working alot. I now have to have insurance so I work full time. But I know that eventually I will have to get in school and do something. I have tried twice. With bad results. I was holding onto the idea that maybe someday I would be able to rec fly. But as it turns out I may have to resort to going back onto ADD pills just to get thru school. I know this will most likely completely end my dream of ever flying. I dont know what else to do. Unless I go back to school I wont be able to pay for a plane anyway. So I am probably going to have to just give up.

I wish you all well, please fly safe and know how lucky you are.

Andrew H

I am really sorry to hear about all that. Don't see it as a hindrance and try to see it as an opportunity. You are being given the chance to contribute to this world in another area. And just so you know, my uncle went through his entire high school, college and medical school on ADD medication, and is now a plastic surgeon in California. So don't get to hung up on things like that. :)

So you can't fly for a living.

You wanna know a little secret?

I've got a couple of members in my flying club who fly for airlines.

And you know what they say?

The most fun they have flying is tooling around in a C172 on a VFR day with no particular place to go.

You can still do that.

General Aviation is where it's at. Less drama and you're actually still flying the airplane.

A good example. I departed Madrid this morning, but with my aircraft and with the departure procedure, you pretty much have to engage the autopilot at 500' else you'll get a noise violation. So it was my leg, but I only flew it for perhaps MAX of 15 minutes of a 7 hour and 43 minute flight.

GA. That's YOUR airplane. Point it to where you want to put it and fly until the cash runs out. Perfect.

Im insulin dependant. I will be on constant insulin injections or pump therapy until I die. That alone will disqualify me permanently from anything but a 3rd class. I dont know about being a sport pilot.

I dont know about a solution for my school problems. I feel like the only way for me to get thru school is with some "help" and if I dont do school I cant afford to fly anyway.

May I suggest that at this time focusing on school is probably the best and most important long-term investment you can make? I'm sure you already knew that, though. ;)

Back