atc blood pressure

menglish1

hay doc I have an ATC medical at the pepc coming up I get white coat syndrome real bad my question is are the ATC bp requirments the same as pilots 155/95 or is it 140/90 I average 130/85 but I'm sure I'll be all worked up that day I'm just curious how much of a wiggle room I got. Also any good ways to lower my bp in the next 3 weeks just to be safe. Obviously diet and exercise in the long run is the answer but just getting worried. Also do you know what they do if an EKG comes back abnormal I had a friend that this happend but nothing was wrong with him. Thanks in advance!

Here is the standard for blood pressure

Age Systolic Diastolic
20-29 140 90
30-39 150 90
40-49 150 100
50 & over 160 100

IMO these are crazy high!!!!

Try to learn to relax, some Yoga or self relaxation technique works well.

what if I end up over the 140/90 for the physical will they do the same things as a first class for a flight physical like 3 readings in 3 days and ekg etc. Or I thought I read somewhere that for atc that you can't be on high blood pressure meds. at all. I've also started taking the natural Michael's blood pressure factors to see if that helps and garlic along with a cardio multi vit.

On the same guidelines as this, if your BP is to high, are there chances you're put on medical review for a year? Or is it just a straight fail, not eligible for hire?

If you are treated, you are probably OK but remember the FAA does their own exams and regular AME's are not involved in the hiring process.

If you are treated, you are probably OK but remember the FAA does their own exams and regular AME's are not involved in the hiring process.
this dovetails into my question since I'm going to the same thing, the requirements are so high I'm consiering going off my meds since I'll run under the upper limit just to avoid the headaches. Medically I know it's not the brightest but what do you thinkg from an FAA procedural standpoint?

actually I thought this was voodoo but it has totally worked I usually ran between 140/95 then if I could sit would go to 135/90 or so and this was pretty constant for the last six months or so. Well since I first posted I cut out sodium I ate half way decent Applebees one night but the big thing was I went to a health food store and bought Dr. Michael's Blood Pressure Factors and its just like a daily viatmin for people with higher BP it has Calcium and Magniesium along with some herbs likes hawthorn berry and hops flower but its all in one pill I've been taking that a garlic pill and a centruim cardio for 4 days and now my BP is 130/85 after moving and after sitting for 5 min it goes to 117/79 I haven't had that low since High school. So its something to think about if your on the brink of 140/90 like I was. Now I don't know if it was from the pill the garlic or the eating helthy or a combination but it worked in 4 days for me so take it for what its worth and again talk with a doc i'm not a doc so.. (insert general non liable statement).

Side not and maybe the doctor can answer but since this is sold at every health food store in america non of these herbs could possible make my drug screen come back possitive I hope... I don't think so but my mom asked and I didn't know what to say.. lol Thanks

this dovetails into my question since I'm going to the same thing, the requirements are so high I'm consiering going off my meds since I'll run under the upper limit just to avoid the headaches. Medically I know it's not the brightest but what do you thinkg from an FAA procedural standpoint?

It might work bu t you run the risk of having your pressure up at the exam.

Side not and maybe the doctor can answer but since this is sold at every health food store in america non of these herbs could possible make my drug screen come back possitive I hope... I don't think so but my mom asked and I didn't know what to say.. lol Thanks

I don;t know what is in this stuff from the health food store. Also, don't assume that because it is from a health foo store, it is necessarily health for you.

i need to find a way to lower my blood pressure pretty quickly (by august). i run 3 times a week for 4-7 miles at a time and do some basic exercises (push ups, crunches, dead lifts) most mornings and i'm STILL 145/90

23 years old, 6' 165lbs

something tells me i need to quit drinking and eating nachos :drool:

if i cut the salt and beer out of my diet, how much should i expect my BP to drop?

Back