Family in OKC

Vortmax

I've got a problem. I have 3 adorable little boys that I don't want to leave behind for 4 months. I am considering bringing the fam with me to OKC. Has anyone else brought the family out with them? If so, do you have any good ideas on housing? Pre-schools? Certain areas where "families" are staying. If you left the family home, how is that going and how often are you able to get back to see them?

I have three boys too ( well the third is due july 28th) i am bringing them all with me. I was married while getting my degree in college and am not worried about my family being there affecting my learning. In fact i think it will help me. People say you have no time for family there.. but then again those people seem to have time to go out to clubs and party on the weekends.. so I figure I will just spend the weekends with my family. Plus its always nice to have a wife there to worry about the cooking and laundry and such if i am stressed out studying! Also for me it will be easier to just go from there to texas where my facility is. If I was staying in utah like you ( i am so envious!) then things wouldnt be so complicated with the move and selling of my house. we plan to sell before my class date starts ( dont have one yet.. had the interview at salt lake a week ago.. now just waiting..)

I am interested to see what people have to say that have taken family, and also if you are there before me what works out for you.

Cory

I see your point CJ...I had my family in Florida with me for my flight training and it didn't slow me down at all. I just can't afford to move them to OKC and then BACK to SLC once training is finished. So I've opted to kick 'em to the curb (the curb being her mother's house) and I'm going solo!

Just so you know, there is a daycare center here at the Aero Center (home of the Academy) called "The Launching Pad". They should be able to handle student kids, but there may be a waiting list.

Phone: 405-954-4901

I see your point CJ...I had my family in Florida with me for my flight training and it didn't slow me down at all. I just can't afford to move them to OKC and then BACK to SLC once training is finished. So I've opted to kick 'em to the curb (the curb being her mother's house) and I'm going solo!

Hey...First of all, I'm CJ.:panic:

Second, and this may be the old skool in me, but here's my 1.4 cents. DO NOT take your family with you. This is training for the career for the rest of your life, you do not need any distractions. Secondly, how would your family feel if, god forbid, you fail. Would they blame themselves for being a distraction? Do you really want to put them through that? I had a 6 month old when I went, and it tore me up to leave her and my wife. But it would have been a hell of a lot worse if I had come home without the career that paid for the food on our table. 12 weeks will fly by and before you know it you will be back with your family.

Just my 1.4 cents (30% pay cut).:)

Just so you know, there is a daycare center here at the Aero Center (home of the Academy) called "The Launching Pad". They should be able to handle student kids, but there may be a waiting list.

Phone: 405-954-4901

Do you know how much they charge for care? Are they open during all the hours of classes?

Atltracon- Some of us don't have the "luxury" of leaving our family home. I'm flying solo with my 3 year old daughter and I'm her only parent. No choice for me.

Atltracon- Some of us don't have the "luxury" of leaving our family home. I'm flying solo with my 3 year old daughter and I'm her only parent. No choice for me.

Unless you can get a family member to watch them while you are there, then you are right. My reply was to the individual who was not a single parent.

I have a wife and 8 month old baby boy that mean the world to me, but when/if i make it to the academy, they will not be coming. This is a one shot deal for me, failing or washing out is not an option. Just sold my house Monday, and have to move from a four bedroom house to a two bedroom apartment by Sunday(not to mention i'll have fifty six hours in by the end of the week). Went ahead and sold the house to downsize the expenses when/if i make it to the academy. If the FAA doesn't work out in the next six months I have a recruiter dying to sign me up as a Navy ATC, therefore would have needed to sell the house anyway.

If I end up going to OKC, I will be leaving the family behind. If OKC is anything like the aviation school at Rucker I will need to be able to study at night and sometimes on the weekends -couldn't do that with a 2 year old running around begging me to play with him. ;) I couldn't imagine trying to study with THREE!

I really don't know what they charge, but you could call them and find out.

The other thing to consider is that (I think) they only work daytime hours, and ATC training has day and evening classes.

My wife is due with our 2nd child in mid-august, so if I'm in OKC this fall, it will be really hard dealing with a newborn at home while trying to study. At the same time, I don't want to be 6 hours away from them for 4 months. Luckily her folks live between OKC & tulsa, so she'll be shacking up with them while I'm in OKC. 1.5 hour drive is a lot better than a 6, plus we'll be able to shut off most of our expenses at home... just have to keep paying that morgage... I wonder if the bank will let me take a 4 month break?

Back