Still Motivated?

nkoenig

Where do the people starting training at this point get there motivation? Everything coming to a somewhat halt, how does one stay motivated to get thru traning?

Look at the history of the industry. One word: CYCLICAL.

Your motivation should be in the preparation for the next upturn. Prepare now, while the industry is down. Then, when the next hiring boom comes, you'll be ready for the job you want.

Your motivation should be in the preparation for the next upturn. Prepare now, while the industry is down. Then, when the next hiring boom comes, you'll be ready for the job you want.

:yeahthat:

my CFI applied at few places and he can't get anywhere....

by the time i'm done, they will start hiring again, and most likely we'll both get in at the same time heh

Good point killbilly! I should have qualified my previous statement.

YES, first and foremost, your motivation should be the love of flying. No question.

If you enjoy flying, the job (should you desire that aspect of aviation) will come.

I am still motivated to start flying even though the current state of the industry isn't that great. Things will turn around because it seems as if it always does. I guess my motivation comes with me getting sick of the same boring routine day in and day out. the same hours, the same cubicle, the same drive to work. I am so bored with my current life that I need to make a change. I'm sure the office in the sky has it's own routine and daily annoyances, but it's gotta be better than where I am now.

**keep in mind that I haven't started training yet**

Do it for the love of flight... then when you have the rating and experience, find something that makes you happy and go for it. Leave the cubicle and the monotany and jump right in!

It may be a bumpy ride, but eventually you'll hit some smooth air and just cruise!

I love flying and a good quote that I use to motivate myself is..."Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls". No matter what the industry goes through there will always be a job for the motivated , and dedicated pilots who fly because they love it.

Well I can take extra time as a CFI if I need to. what keeps me motivated is that I have my CFI gig and I actually wanted to experience being a CFI as well as gaining experience from the experience :p

But there are a few key variables that aren't cyclical - fuel prices and business travel specifically. I tend to be in the camp of people who believe that working in the airline industry will never be as good as it is today.

It's a long way to the top if you want to rock 'n roll - but that doesn't mean that people will always want to listen to rock.

This is the key right here.

I was looking at my logbook today. It says that I took my very first flight on 4/13/02. I don't have to tell you what had happened only 7 months earlier. As you can well imagine the industry was in shambles and everyone I talked to said I was crazy. Well now 6 years later I've been working for XJT for almost 4 years. Almost 1.5 of those years has been as a captain. I now have almost 4000 total time and just hit the "magical" 1000 121 turbine PIC last week. I interviewed successfully with a major airline a few months ago but the training class was cancelled due to the current economy. I've had a pretty lucky ride (or is it due to hard work?) so far so I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I know I'm positioned well for future hiring. More importantly I've learned a tremendous amount as a student pilot, as a CFI, as a 121 FO, as a 121 CA, and as a interview candidate. I've still got even more to learn and I do so every day I go to work.

Training takes time, building flight time to become competitive for jobs takes time. LEARNING takes time. Slow down, enjoy the process, make wise and economical training decisions, position yourself to take advantage of ALL professional advancement that come your way (sometimes that means being mobile). YOU WILL BE FINE!!! :)

I tend to be in the camp of people who believe that working in the airline industry will never be as good as it is today.

It's what you make of it. Very few jobs these days are what they once were. My father just retired as a dentist. While many here might think such a person "had it made." There's nothing further from the truth. Even the medical professionals out there have been beaten up so bad by malpractice attorneys and insurance companies they are in the same boat we are. His retirement years are far different than he ever invisioned. The grass is always greener. Sure piloting is not the job it once was but it's still a damn good job. You could go be an investment banker and make a mint but honestly you'd have to pay me a lot more to give up that much of my life to have their lifestyle.

It's what you make of it. Very few jobs these days are what they once were. My father just retired as a dentist. While many here might think such a person "had it made." There's nothing further from the truth. Even the medical professionals out there have been beaten up so bad by malpractice attorneys and insurance companies they are in the same boat we are. His retirement years are far different than he ever invisioned. The grass is always greener. Sure piloting is not the job it once was but it's still a damn good job. You could go be an investment banker and make a mint but honestly you'd have to pay me a lot more to give up that much of my life to have their lifestyle.

I agree - but consider all the jobs that used to be "pretty good jobs" that just aren't anymore. Not that they aren't "as good" - they're no longer good at all. I just worry about a profession where so many people would do it for free if they had the chance.

I agree - but consider all the jobs that used to be "pretty good jobs" that just aren't anymore. Not that they aren't "as good" - they're no longer good at all. I just worry about a profession where so many people would do it for free if they had the chance.

While that might sound reasonable to those on the outside, looking in. The 'free' labor wouldn't last long once the person realizes they are actually working. Flying for a living is a JOB and it doesn't take long to open the eyes to reality. But, I hear what you're saying.

Besides, I'd venture to guess, similar attitudes have been around the noob community for as long as there have been airplanes in the sky.

While that might sound reasonable to those on the outside, looking in. The 'free' labor wouldn't last long once the person realizes they are actually working. Flying for a living is a JOB and it doesn't take long to open the eyes to reality. But, I hear what you're saying.

Besides, I'd venture to guess, similar attitudes have been around the noob community for as long as there have been airplanes in the sky.

It seems that word is getting out or that perhaps salaries and QOL have detiriorated so much that the "will fly for free pool" is drying up a bit. Sure there are the Gojets and Skybus's that rear their ugly heads but places like Mesa were begging for people. With the industry the way it currently is only the hearty really survive it seems. Generally anyway.

Where do the people starting training at this point get there motivation? Everything coming to a somewhat halt, how does one stay motivated to get thru traning?

This isn't a lot different than the environment between 1988 thru 1993 when I was at ERAU. Considering it took 3000 hours for a job flying right seat in a Navajo in those days, we're not even close to rock bottom yet.

But here's the good news.

For those that actually want to do the work and are patient, you're going to be just fine, shoot, I was. Patience, preparation, cut the sense of entitlement and you'll be fine.

But for those that want to be pilots, now, because MSFS is fun and "I hear chicks dig pilots", it's going to eat your lunch.

The industry will pick up. For those that stuck it out and didn't sell themselves like a cheap Laughlin, NV hooker will be in a position to capture the eventual 're-birth' of the industry. Those that panic, are impatient or carry an unrealistic sense of entitlement sculpted from a few years of "boom" and run off to actuary school will not.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

It seems that word is getting out or that perhaps salaries and QOL have deteriorated so much that the "will fly for free pool" is drying up a bit. Sure there are the Gojets and Skybus's that rear their ugly heads but places like Mesa were begging for people. With the industry the way it currently is only the hearty really survive it seems. Generally anyway.

This reminds me of "buy low, sell high" you don't want to start your training (buy) when things are at the peak. I started when airlines were desperate to hire. If I had gotten in to flying because it looked easy to get an airline job, I'd be severely disappointed right now.

Back