Comair Co-Pilot Sues Runway Lighting Company

Stone Cold

Sent to me by a friend of mine...haven't seen it posted yet...please delete if it's already out there.

Comair Co-Pilot Sues Runway Lighting Company
Wed, 29 Aug '07
Suit Alleges LEX Lighting Design 'Erratic And Haphazard'

The lone survivor of the Comair Flight 5191 accident has filed a lawsuit against the company that designed Blue Grass Airport's runway and taxi lights.

James Polehinke survived the accident that claimed the lives of the other 49 people on board the CRJ-100 that mistakenly took off from the wrong, too-short runway at LEX in the early morning hours of August 27, 2006 in Lexington, KY, and crashed. He lost a leg and suffered severe head injuries.
Polehinke's lawsuit against AVCON, Inc. alleges the company failed to use appropriate care in its lighting design, calling it erratic and haphazard, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Federal investigators have said the main runway's lights were operational that morning, but the center lights were not.
As ANN reported, the National Transportation Safety Board ruled last month there were several factors that led to the accident.
"This accident has led us into the briar patch of human behavior," said NTSB board member Debbie Hersman. "No simple cause. No single solution. No 'aha' moment."
Polehinke faces a number of wrongful death lawsuits from families of victims of the crash.
FMI: www.ntsb.gov, www.avconinc.com

Weren't the lights on the short runway off?

I don't know what kind of case this is if they were.

Yeah - don't really see a case here. Poor guy - I hope this isn't so much his doing as it is his family/some shady attorney.

Yeah - don't really see a case here. Poor guy - I hope this isn't so much his doing as it is his family/some shady attorney.
I would assume he's suing out of his perception of need rather than greed. After all, the guy is crippled for life and probably feels he needs to get paid for his injuries.

However, (and I'll probably catch some flack here) he was part of the team (captain & FO) that neglected to observe the sterile cockpit rules. He was part of the team that lined up on the wrong runway and neglected to cross check it with his heading bug. He was part of the team that lead to his injuries (and the deaths of his captain, crew and passengers).

While it's a sad thing that he feels the need to sue, it's even more sad that some teams of attorneys, paralegals, & their staffs will spend the next couple of years on this case and then tie up valuable time in the court.

But, that's the American way. :rolleyes:

I would assume he's suing out of his perception of need rather than greed. After all, the guy is crippled for life and probably feels he needs to get paid for his injuries.

However, (and I'll probably catch some flack here) he was part of the team (captain & FO) that neglected to observe the sterile cockpit rules. He was part of the team that lined up on the wrong runway and neglected to cross check it with his heading bug. He was part of the team that lead to his injuries (and the deaths of his captain, crew and passengers).

While it's a sad thing that he feels the need to sue, it's even more sad that some teams of attorneys, paralegals, & their staffs will spend the next couple of years on this case and then tie up valuable time in the court.

But, that's the American way. :rolleyes:

No disagreement here - it was a mistake that I think any pilot could make on any given day - but it doesn't change the facts.

I would hope there's something in place - maybe Comair's insurance, that would cover his medical expenses.

I imagine he is trying to get the money to be able to pay all the people sueing him.

You may be right, but I don't think people will have luck going after him directly.

This is only somewhat related, but years ago my father was driving his rig on a two-lane highway when a school bus coming towards him blew a tire and crossed the yellow. My dad put his truck in the ditch to avoid a head on collision. The bus ended up being a church bus - and despite the fact that he and his company received numerous cards and gifts of appreciation from families of children on the bus, one family decided to sue both him and his company - why? Because ever since the accident, their child was terrified of 18-wheelers.

Fortunately the case was dismissed by the judge, but it doesn't change the fact that it caused my father a lot of stress for many months. Some people, I tell ya.

Yea, It's sad, but don't see a case there because the lights were off for a reason. Unless perhaps he's suing for lack of signs maybe :confused:

The taxiway change wasn't in the notams...

However, taking off on a runway whose lights were percieved to be partially out and not checking your heading upon lining up with the runway is just irresponsible... especially on the CRJ, which is a plane that has considerable AHRS issues with compass alignment.

The taxiway change wasn't in the notams...

Why would there have been a taxiway change? :confused:

Routings to a runway can vary a million and one ways.

Out of LEX it's pretty simple though. It's A to both 26 and 22 (via A7).

So, I suppose what I'm saying is. . .at an airport with a simple taxiway layout as such - there wouldn't ever be a need to NOTAM a taxiway routing change.

Unless there is something I'm missing here.

Why would there have been a taxiway change? :confused:

Routings to a runway can vary a million and one ways.

Out of LEX it's pretty simple though. It's A to both 26 and 22 (via A7).

So, I suppose what I'm saying is. . .at an airport with a simple taxiway layout as such - there wouldn't ever be a need to NOTAM a taxiway routing change.

Unless there is something I'm missing here.

There was some construction going on.

Did anyone else notice that in the accident report the captain was listed as having his sport license? Are they just grandfathering all of us into the sport category since we can fly under it or what?

Back