Bar Venue near ORD and/or Marriott?

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
Does anyone know where a good bar or hang out lounge might be near the Marriott? I'm thinking after the event, we could all take a walk and find a decent bar outside of the hotel to continue the "social" aspect of the networking session :)

it'd have to be within walking dist. or a *short* train ride.

Walking distance about the only thing I can think of is Hooters which is probably a 10 minute walk. There is also a Bennigan's on the south side of the expressway that is walkable but I'm not sure how late they stay open. I know Hooter's stays open a little later.

Besides those two I can't think of anything in walking distance. There are a few places about 1-2 miles away but that would require cabs or drivers.

Hooters would be fun....not sure how showing up with 20 or so people on a Friday night would work out space wise. The Hooters is usually jam packed with at least a 30 minute wait on Friday nights. (5pm to 9pm 'ish) If we could get everyone in it would be a fun time though!

Hooters would be fun....not sure how showing up with 20 or so people on a Friday night would work out space wise. The Hooters is usually jam packed with at least a 30 minute wait on Friday nights. (5pm to 9pm 'ish) If we could get everyone in it would be a fun time though!
hey.. so that means the wait would be less than 30 minutes after 9pm...cool, that would work!

Don't quote me on those times! :) I'm sure a group of 20 will make the wait time a lot longer. But at least the bar will be open to pass the time!

Does anyone know where a good bar or hang out lounge might be near the Marriott? I'm thinking after the event, we could all take a walk and find a decent bar outside of the hotel to continue the "social" aspect of the networking session :)

it'd have to be within walking dist. or a *short* train ride.

Walking distance about the only thing I can think of is Hooters which is probably a 10 minute walk. There is also a Bennigan's on the south side of the expressway that is walkable but I'm not sure how late they stay open. I know Hooter's stays open a little later.

Besides those two I can't think of anything in walking distance. There are a few places about 1-2 miles away but that would require cabs or drivers.

:panic:

You guys are telling me, that in Chicago the best we can do is Hooters? Come on... there's gotta be a train or something that's easy to use to get to a real bar, right? Please!

I might be the only guy who would say this, but Hooters sucks!

(DISCLAIMER: That being said, if that is the best we can do, I will have a great attitude and still of course thank everyone who went through the trouble to set all this up.)

What about the sports bar in the hotel - Champions? They're open 'till 1 am on weekends.

I called the hotel and the only shuttle they offer anywhere is to the airport, but they could set us up with a couple of taxi vans whenever we want, but I know we're trying to avoid taxis.

Anywho, those are my ideas, and if there's a vote, I'd vote Champions, Bennigans, other. :)

There are plenty of cool places to go in Chicago...just depends on how far people want to go from the hotel after the event Friday night. Kristie asked for walking distance so that's what I gave. There's a few really neat places in Edision Park which is only about a 4 mile drive away from the hotel. It really depends on what people want to do and how much they want to spend for taxi's and such.

I say we all get on the train or drive into town and check out the city itself!

Let's experience stuff that makes Chicago unique instead of heading to a chain restaurant/bar that I can go to anywhere.

Of course, if I'm outvoted, I will go to Bennigan's or Hooters or whatever and after a few drinks, I'll be just fine.

just gotta remember that it's a 45 min one way trip into downtown AND the trains stop running at 1am....that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for finding a place and enjoying it starting around 9/10pm and i betcha cab fee ain't cheap either.

if you'd rather do bennigans.. whatever.. that's fine.. that's why i don't setup a serious itinerary.. no way i'm going thru all that work if its' ALL subject to change.

A more local place to go that is still close to the hotel would be Moretti's in a little neighborhood called Edison Park.

http://www.morettischicago.com/ep/index.php

It's a nice local place that has an huge outdoor seating area. But again the problem would be showing up with 20+ people and expecting to get a table on a Friday night. Edison Park is only 2.5 miles from the hotel.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...sspn=51.621706,92.8125&ie=UTF8&cd=1&z=15&om=1

I can imagine a cab ride would cost all that much if we got minivans and packed in 6 or 7 people per van. It all depends on what people want to do.

Edison Park also has other bars / restaurants all within a few blocks of each other. This is the area I normally go out in. Like Kristie said it's a 45 minute 1 way ride downtown on the blue line.

Another option might be a place called the RAM which is close.

http://www.theram.com/il-rosemont.php

It is about 1.5 miles right down the street. Cabs would be cheap going there. They have good beer....but again it's a chain...they are open until 2AM on Friday nights if I remember correctly. I am thinking they may be able to accomodate 20 people on Friday night easier than Hooters or Moretti's in Edison Park. The place is much bigger than Hooter's inside. The RAM is one of our drinking establishments after work since my office is right across the street. So I know they have decent food and beer.

Anyplace is fine with me. I'm there to meet the JC crew and have fun. I can do that at any restaurant / bar we end up at. I'm just throwing out suggestions since I live and work in the area.

A more local place to go that is still close to the hotel would be Moretti's in a little neighborhood called Edison Park.

http://www.morettischicago.com/ep/index.php

It's a nice local place that has an huge outdoor seating area. But again the problem would be showing up with 20+ people and expecting to get a table on a Friday night. Edison Park is only 2.5 miles from the hotel.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...sspn=51.621706,92.8125&ie=UTF8&cd=1&z=15&om=1

I can imagine a cab ride would cost all that much if we got minivans and packed in 6 or 7 people per van. It all depends on what people want to do.

Edison Park also has other bars / restaurants all within a few blocks of each other. This is the area I normally go out in. Like Kristie said it's a 45 minute 1 way ride downtown on the blue line.

Another option might be a place called the RAM which is close.

http://www.theram.com/il-rosemont.php

It is about 1.5 miles right down the street. Cabs would be cheap going there. They have good beer....but again it's a chain...they are open until 2AM on Friday nights if I remember correctly. I am thinking they may be able to accomodate 20 people on Friday night easier than Hooters or Moretti's in Edison Park. The place is much bigger than Hooter's inside. The RAM is one of our drinking establishments after work since my office is right across the street. So I know they have decent food and beer.

Anyplace is fine with me. I'm there to meet the JC crew and have fun. I can do that at any restaurant / bar we end up at. I'm just throwing out suggestions since I live and work in the area.

I could get on board with any of that!

Hooters should be fine, if not we can watch the planes come in since they fly overhead when landing on 27L and 27R
:D
I hope to see you all there friday! I am driving there to the Marriott from the south side, is there anywhere to park at the hotel and do you have to pay to park there?

Back