Dispatcher Hiring Spreadsheet

Maybe I am behind the curve here.....what is FlightKeys? Also is USA Jets a new carrier?
Usajet has been around for a bit. I know you googled it but for those considering working there. I wouldn't recommend it. Had a couple buddies work there. Work environment wasn't the friendliest and your time is better spent at a regional or ULCC getting your first time experience

Also, it's in Detroit/Ypsilanti, not the greatest or safest place to be. Look elsewhere

Maybe I am behind the curve here.....what is FlightKeys? Also is USA Jets a new carrier?

Flight Keys is a newer flight planning software being adopted by a handful of US carriers. American is in middle of deploying, Southwest is still in testing/development, and Jet Blue is somewhere in the early stages. There’s been some pretty substantial teething issues with the rollout at AA (ETOPS redispatch, airspace restriction, calculation delays, and more), but they’re trudging on ahead.

It makes a lot of the same efficiency promises that Lufthansa made with Lido, which did very poorly in the US.

[...]Also, it's in Detroit/Ypsilanti, not the greatest or safest place to be. Look elsewhere

Kalitta Air/Kalitta Charters is right up the road at YIP, and while the area does take some good time for research regarding safety, I would say Connie has their affairs coming into order as they grow. Every shop has its neglected areas, but Ann Arbor before you get too westerly and collegiate is a very lovely town. Don't be from Ohio around there.

It makes a lot of the same efficiency promises that Lufthansa made with Lido, which did very poorly in the US.
Reminds me of the horror stories I heard on here and from others who used Lido about freezing issues and random updates that made the whole program lock up for minutes at a time.

Kalitta Air/Kalitta Charters is right up the road at YIP, and while the area does take some good time for research regarding safety, I would say Connie has their affairs coming into order as they grow. Every shop has its neglected areas, but Ann Arbor before you get too westerly and collegiate is a very lovely town. Don't be from Ohio around there.
Kalitta Air is the only airline out the bunch that is worth working for and moving to

Don't be from Ohio anywhere. (I can say that. I'm from Ohio.)

Flight Keys is a newer flight planning software being adopted by a handful of US carriers. American is in middle of deploying, Southwest is still in testing/development, and Jet Blue is somewhere in the early stages. There’s been some pretty substantial teething issues with the rollout at AA (ETOPS redispatch, airspace restriction, calculation delays, and more), but they’re trudging on ahead.

Surprised to hear that about Lido. As someone who uses it everyday it has been incredibly helpful to our operation. Especially compared to Sabre.

This hurt me to read. Aren't you B6? They're on an incredibly old version (and it's SaaS, too), that's even more painful. Hey, different strokes for different folks I guess!
Yes, I am. And like I said, it’s definitely not the popular opinion on the floor. The majority liked DM much more but I actually have grown to really like FPM. Sure, it’s slow and cumbersome at times, but I like it.

So, just to provide a few updates on this spreadsheet:

- I should be able to provide approximately weekly full updates, plus smaller updates for individual openings I notice/am notified about, as time allows. As some shops will only open hiring for less than a week, this means I may miss some stuff, so please continue to submit anything you hear about.
- I have added links to the Wikipedia page and the careers page for each airline. This should make it easier to double-check my work, and to do some cursory research on an airline. I snuck these links into the IATA/ICAO codes to avoid adding any additional columns, so it still fits neatly onto a 1080p monitor.
- I have added comments about dispatch-adjacent jobs (mostly in management) to all applicable airlines, and will keep these updated as well. Currently, my rule is that these have to require or suggest dispatch experience to go on the spreadsheet.

My future plans currently include:

- I intend to add a section at the bottom with the pros and cons of working at each type of operation. I would love opinions here as this is something that really will need to be crowdsourced to be complete - no one person can work at every operation and know everything for themselves.
- I will be adding a section at the bottom with interview resources. Again here, I'm looking for resources specific to dispatching (anyone can google "how to interview good"), so while I have a couple links bookmarked, it's not really a full list, and I'd love some suggestions.
- If anyone has any tips for dispatch interviews that are not part of any resource I can link, I would appreciate having those as well; I may simply put together a list of crowdsourced tips if there aren't many resources to link to.

TL;DR: I want to generalize this sheet a little more now, and turn it into a one-stop shop to answer the question "How do I get hired as a dispatcher?" - but I'm gonna need a little help to make it happen.

Can we get this thread pinned with the pay spreadsheet?? Extremely useful for everyone and would save trouble having to scroll back a couple of pages.

One suggestion I have is to add a column with the city where the airlines' SOC is located as that could be useful when considering where to apply. Other than that, I see a lot of them not hiring. I thought now was supposed to be a good time to get into dispatch though?

Applications are only open for a short time. AA just closed theirs for example. United hires a class every other month or so. Next one to hire is probably Envoy and other regionals after AA scoops up their class

One suggestion I have is to add a column with the city where the airlines' SOC is located as that could be useful when considering where to apply. Other than that, I see a lot of them not hiring. I thought now was supposed to be a good time to get into dispatch though?
This spreadsheet is really meant to complement the dispatcher pay spreadsheet, and the expectation is that you will use both. That one already has SOC locations for most of the airlines on here, and for the ones it's missing, there's really not much information on SOC locations. It's still something I might consider for the future, but realistically, I would need a LOT more feedback than I have gotten up to this point to get a reliable location for a good chunk of these 135s. I do log the feedback I get, so if you know where an obscure shop is located, please do send that in and I can file it away for possible future use.

Regarding applications, yes, most airlines only open for a short period of time. Some only for a week. Airlines hire batches, or "classes", of new hires, which means they usually don't keep applications open year-round. At the moment it's kind of a quiet period where a lot of airlines have recently opened, and it will take some time for them to be ready to welcome another class. However, United alone is short hundreds of dispatchers, which singlehandedly ensures that hiring will continue at regionals and ULCCs over the next year-plus, as that will be primarily where United is pulling new hires from.

Did I read somewhere Frontier hires off the street for Dispatch? Or do you think those days are closing cause of their new contract and they want to probs retain more experience

So, recently I was job searching, and it came across my mind that probably one of the most annoying things about job searching - especially for those with less experience, applying to all the regionals, plus extra - was figuring out which airlines were actively hiring. Sure, that's part of the purpose of this board and forum - but you still have to sift through quite a lot to just find dispatch jobs. "What if," I thought to myself, "there were a spreadsheet just like the dispatcher pay spreadsheet, but for who's hiring?" And then it dawned on me, I could make that. So I did.

I aimed it at what I know - newer dispatchers who might be fresh out of school, unsure where to look, and unsure what sort of experience each airline offers. So I have columns for ETOPS, fleet size, and identifiers (so you can go track their flights and see where they fly); and I also clarify what type of flying you can expect. Some added remarks clarify as much information as I'm aware of about how that airline hires, and their current hiring trend, as well as potentially some extra information about types of flying you can expect. I've seeded it with information from Wikipedia, my own research and knowledge, and a lot of stuff from this forum.

It's possible in the future this data could be used for fancy stuff like monitoring hiring trends, but for now, I'm just going to work with what I have and pray that I can keep it relatively updated.

It's meant to complement, not replace, the excellent Dispatcher Pay Spreadsheet, so I didn't replicate any of @flynryan692 's work in my spreadsheet, aside from the general look of it. There is, like on his sheet, a form to submit information or suggestions, though I will also watch this thread. I'm sure there will be plenty to correct at first.

Here's the link!
VERY OBNOXIOUS LINK
Is the hiring sheet being updated any longer? Thx.

Back