Challenger 300 Turbulence Death - Prelim Released

From talking to my friend who flies Challenger 350s two other QRH procedures they could have run with the associated messages have notes about abrupt pitch changes and making sure everyone is strapped in first, and the first checklist item is Seat Belt signs on.... Obviously not in the procedure they ran...

From talking to my friend who flies Challenger 350s two other QRH procedures they could have run with the associated messages have notes about abrupt pitch changes and making sure everyone is strapped in first, and the first checklist item is Seat Belt signs on.... Obviously not in the procedure they ran...

They shouldn't haven't even made it that far because they shouldn't have taken off with a cyan rudder trim limit CAS message. It's clearly listed as a No-Go item.

They ran the wrong procedure. Prim Stab Trim Fail was not an associated CAS according to the report. Add this to the long list of screw ups that day. These guys are toast.

They were new to the type. It should have warranted even more caution honestly. The CL30 is a very honest and forgiving airplane. It's very modern and not very difficult to fly. This crew just screwed it all up. I can't find any excuses to show why they allowed things to go the way that they did.
I’m not excusing it, but apparently people are in argument mood today.

I’m not excusing it, but apparently people are in argument mood today.

I'm not at all. I'm in disappointment mode. The Challenger 300 is an extremely simple plane to operate. You don't see many incidents and accidents in the airframe because of it. You have seen what all it takes to truly screw it up.

I saw this on the 91/135 side and I see it on the 121 side. I’m sure I’d see it any kind of aviation: people failing to follow procedure due to a perceived pressure.

We just got a reminder email from flight ops today.

If anything this is yet another reminder for me to follow the procedure as closely as I can and not concern myself with outside pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience in the type, but it seems that a speed reduction would also be crucial to minimize the magnitude of the out-of-trim condition.

CL30 has a “go / no go” guide which is a quick reference for any CAS (on ground) and offers a fast resource for determining if there is a path to MEL relief or if airplane is hard down based on CAS displayed. “Rudder limiter fault” is a no go item. It is not up for interpretation and it doesn’t require any special understanding.
Rudder limiter fault : No Go

They dispatched a broke jet and furthermore ran the wrong checklist in-flight. If I were the family of the deceased I would be pushing for criminal charges if they are possible. This shouldn’t have happened and that woman didn’t deserve to die that way.

Where have I heard this before?

Rudder travel limit fault.

Gulfstream 4, Bedford, MA. Katz airplane.

Gust Lock engaged. Zero checklists. Zero flight control checks. All dead.

And now this one.

Sorry, this will hurt the egos of many here but I don’t care: You couldn’t pay me to step aboard a corporate jet.

Where have I heard this before?

Rudder travel limit fault.

Gulfstream 4, Bedford, MA. Katz airplane.

Gust Lock engaged. Zero checklists. Zero flight control checks. All dead.

And now this one.

Sorry, this will hurt the egos of many here but I don’t care: You couldn’t pay me to step aboard a corporate jet.

I mean...we literally had a United Airliner nearly go splash....

Quit casting stones for the sake of casting stones.

Yeah, they did. I barely started to say a potential green on green when JC melted down.

Part 91/135 Corpie? Nope, not stepping on it.

I saw this on the 91/135 side and I see it on the 121 side. I’m sure I’d see it any kind of aviation: people failing to follow procedure due to a perceived pressure.

We just got a reminder email from flight ops today.

If anything this is yet another reminder for me to follow the procedure as closely as I can and not concern myself with outside pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the reason I liked flying for a living was that it was a “game” where you are your own opponent.

Didn’t we just have an airline take out a row of runway lights and continued to destination?

Last edited:
Didn’t we just have an airline take out a row of runway lights and continued to destination?

Yes. But only corporate pilots seem to screw the pooch in Cherokee_Cruiser's in the eyes in front of his narrowed mind.

I not even defending the actions of these guys. I have 1,000's of hours in the plane and have gotten training at just about every training facility on the western hemisphere. The training for the Challenger is very good everywhere. The Challenger is also a very simple and forgiving airplane. You just have to listen to what it's telling you.

Back