Two Pilots Will Attempt To Swap Planes In Mid-Air This Weekend

Wouldn't you agree it's a perfect personal airplane for someone who isn't wealthy, but has a passion for aviation, that is only able to fly 3-4 times a month and wants to travel 400-500 miles with 1-3 pax and a small amount of luggage?

100% would agree.

Before I had kids I’d take the flying club Mooney from Raleigh to see my parents in Nashville with my wife. Total trip time was about the same as taking southwest, and it actually didn’t cost *that* much more.

But I couldn’t do that trip in that plane with *one* of my two kids. A 182? It would probably take an extra 30mins and would take all of us and golf clubs.

Unfortunately I’m far enough away from anywhere we’d want to fly to make any airplane I could remotely afford a viable option…but if we still lived in NC I would 100% be looking for 182’s.

I thought you said a 182 was boring?

If I were to fly with my family I would want the most boring airplane possible.

Going from flying 80-100hrs a month to a few hours really shows you how much your skills can take a hit. I’d want something with as few knobs as possible.

It is.

Exciting flying is high risk flying. (and frankly fun flying)

Mustangs, pitts, and the like have a habit of killing people.
Your "excitement" threshold is pinned at 10. I wish you luck in your future aviation endeavors. Lots of people are able to enjoy aviation in a very gratifying manner without doing anything at all dangerous. I'm sorry you've lost it.

Best of both worlds:

Powerful, fast, cheap, and really fun to fly.

A pax in a Turbo Cessna 182RG took this picture. I had to reduce to 17" so the 182 could stay with me.

DSC09869 crop.JPG

Because wood is stronger?
Because wood doesn't crack and fatigue like aluminum?
Because wood gives a smother ride?

This guy hit a mountain a cruise speed near Crescent City. The spar survived, the steel connection failed.
View attachment 64499
Wood is not stronger, otherwise we'd still be flying heavier wood airplanes.
Wood cracks and instead of corrosion it's called rot.
Smoother ride? I think that's a very subjective metric. Maybe?
I like the fact that you love your Bellanca but it's an antique for a reason.

couple of years back in the Twin Cities.....apparently massive engine failure enroute home...not my plane

1650766983826.png

Wood is not stronger, otherwise we'd still be flying heavier wood airplanes.
Wood cracks and instead of corrosion it's called rot.
Smoother ride? I think that's a very subjective metric. Maybe?
I like the fact that you love your Bellanca but it's an antique for a reason.
No, stamping out aluminum parts is a lot cheaper than hand made wooden parts.
As far as weight, I don’t think my wings are much different. I’ve been on one end by myself when Viking wings were loaded on a trailer.
Cracks? You’re showing how much you don’t know. The spars are glulams. The ribs are plywood. Cracking doesn’t happen.
Like white powder on aluminum, dry rot can be an issue if water is allowed to sit in the wings/spar.
Wings that flex give a smother ride. That’s an undisputed fact.

Last edited:
No, stamping out aluminum parts is a lot cheaper than hand made wooden parts.
As far as weight, I don’t think my wings are much different. I’ve been on one end when loaded on a trailer.
Cracks? You’re showing how much you don’t know. The spars are glulams. The ribs are plywood. Cracking doesn’t happen.
Like white power on aluminum, dry rot can be an issue if water is allowed to sit in the wings/spar.
Wings that flex give a smother ride. That’s an undisputed fact.
White power on aluminum? I know it's a typo, but it's funny these days. You're taking what I said as a personal attack against the love of your life, that was not my intention. If building wood airplanes was optimal we'd still be doing it, that doesn't mean your airplane is flawed, it means that better ways of doing things have been introduced. There are two airplanes that if I was so rich I had enough F me money that I'd like to see fly again one would be the XB-70, the other would be the H-4. I have no angst regarding wood airplanes.

Your "excitement" threshold is pinned at 10. I wish you luck in your future aviation endeavors. Lots of people are able to enjoy aviation in a very gratifying manner without doing anything at all dangerous. I'm sorry you've lost it.

Yeah, I'm afraid it is. I had to change direction because nothing would register anymore and you need a certain amount of fear to keep things safe.
I do miss it, but I also knew what was eventually going to happen.

Yeah, I'm afraid it is. I had to change direction because nothing would register anymore and you need a certain amount of fear to keep things safe.
I do miss it, but I also knew what was eventually going to happen.
I can give you multiple examples of old, bold pilots (when I say bold, I mean really bold).

If building wood airplanes was optimal we'd still be doing it, that doesn't mean your airplane is flawed, it means that better ways of doing things have been introduced.
The last Super Viking was built in 2005, the factory owners are hinting about building again. I don’t think it will happen, it’s hand built and the craftsmen required are gone.

Many of the aerobatic aircraft being built today are wood and fabric. It’s not a lost art, just takes a lot of love to build one.

Jump ahead to 6:10 to see how a Viking flys. Don’t try this with a 182.

Many of the aerobatic aircraft being built today are wood and fabric. It’s not a lost art, just takes a lot of love to build one.

Incorrect.

Nobody is really actively building a wood and fabric aerobatic aircraft.

ACA switched to metal spars almost 2 decades ago for a reason. Aviat hasn't sold a Pitts S2C in years, nobody is ordering them. I did hear that somebody ordered one for 2022 which would make exactly 1 order for a wood and fabric winged aerobatic aircraft for 2022.

All aerobatic aircraft that are actively being sold and built, are composite monocoque and composite winged with steel tube fuses

I have done lots of acro with wood spars, I don't have a problem at all with wood spars, but to say it is a superior material is not really correct.

Back