Mangled 172s in CHS?

Joe

3b63009e703d8b961c2e1fd147ddf993.jpg

I stopped in CHS a few days ago and saw this sitting on the back 40 of the Atlantic ramp… anyone know the back story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened over the weekend. Strong wind storm on Saturday. They had hangar space but the line guys said the renters didn’t want to pay for it. One got airborne and landed on the other

Happened over the weekend. Strong wind storm on Saturday. They had hangar space but the line guys said the renters didn’t want to pay for it. One got airborne and landed on the other

Their insurance agent is going to love hearing this!

Were they tied down and got loose or were they just parked? I can remember back when KBUR had a large section of GA parking on the NW side of the intersection of RWY's 8 and 15 (where Million Air is now) and when the Santa Ana winds were forecast we'd have to drive up and down the rows and make sure all of the "little" airplanes were tied down properly to ensure they wouldn't try to fly away. I learned a lot of people seemed to be really lazy when it came to securing their prized possesion so we'd make sure we got them secured. We weren't always 100% successful and a couple of planes would end up bumping into each other occasionally, but I don't recall one ever trying trying to perform autonomous aerobatics.

Were they tied down and got loose or were they just parked? I can remember back when KBUR had a large section of GA parking on the NW side of the intersection of RWY's 8 and 15 (where Million Air is now) and when the Santa Ana winds were forecast we'd have to drive up and down the rows and make sure all of the "little" airplanes were tied down properly to ensure they wouldn't try to fly away. I learned a lot of people seemed to be really lazy when it came to securing their prized possesion so we'd make sure we got them secured. We weren't always 100% successful and a couple of planes would end up bumping into each other occasionally, but I don't recall one ever trying trying to perform autonomous aerobatics.

Line guy said they don’t have tie downs spots on their ramp

So I'd guess the wayward machine/machines was/were transient? I've just put chocks in when just visiting but I've never returned an airplane to base without tying it down or putting it in a hangar. I've never owned an airplane, but I've been told it's not cheap. I cant imagine paying monthly for a parking spot that didn't at least offer some sort of a method to tie the thing down. It's not like parking a car in long term parking, I've always said even if I won the powerball before I looked for an airplane I'd be searching for a hangar.

So I'd guess the wayward machine/machines was/were transient? I've just put chocks in when just visiting but I've never returned an airplane to base without tying it down or putting it in a hangar. I've never owned an airplane, but I've been told it's not cheap. I cant imagine paying monthly for a parking spot that didn't at least offer some sort of a method to tie the thing down. It's not like parking a car in long term parking, I've always said even if I won the powerball before I looked for an airplane I'd be searching for a hangar.

Yes they were transient planes

3b63009e703d8b961c2e1fd147ddf993.jpg

I stopped in CHS a few days ago and saw this sitting on the back 40 of the Atlantic ramp… anyone know the back story?

Don’t know the back story but I was offered to buy it from a junkyard. I told them no thanks.

Correct. The ramp at CHS Atlantic does not have any tie down eyelets in the concrete on the main line / transient area. Usually they have plenty of hangar space as they just completed a fourth large hangar for overnight aircraft. In addition to that, when they issue a high wind advisory for a coastal area like CHS, they mean it. I’m betting that guy is kicking himself over the amount that‘s going to cost him versus coughing up the price of the overnight hangar.

Have even seen a Caravan come out of three oversized airline chocks, get airborne, float a couple yards away pointed into the wind in the grass area adjacent the ramp. Kind of cool to know those ’Vans will pretty much fly themselves with the control locks installed and 60+ mph winds.

I feel like I would offer the "5 gallon buckets of concrete with an eyebolts in them" as one last ditch against lawsuits, but maybe that just exacerbates the problem.

This is the answer!

Used them on a Caravan anytime the weather looked bad and I couldn’t get it inside…bargain at twice the price!!! Two kits and they paid for themselves after a few times not stored at Atlantic Aviation prices.

Years ago I owned a Grumman Yankee and kept it tied down on the ramp in eastern NC. A guy next to me owned one a couple years older. One summer, a hurricane was headed toward us and a friend offered me his empty Tee hangar. When I got to the airport to move my plane to the hangar, the guy next to me had doubled his tiedown ropes, let some air out of his tires, and strapped 2x4s to the wings, like a homemade version of the spoilers above. I thought he was an idiot. Turns out, the hurricane blew the door off the sliding track, and the top of it hit my plane on the nosewheel. It pushed it back into the hangar and the tail and wingtip were damaged by the wall of the hangar. My plane was down for a month, and it was 6 months before all the repairs were finished. Meanwhile, my neighbor pumped up his tires and was flying the next day.

I’ve seen really simple spoilers made from a dowel, a pool noodle, and some rope! Cost….maybe $40 total and works like a champ.
Of course I saw this AFTER I bought the kits…no regrets on the kits though!

Years ago I owned a Grumman Yankee and kept it tied down on the ramp in eastern NC. A guy next to me owned one a couple years older. One summer, a hurricane was headed toward us and a friend offered me his empty Tee hangar. When I got to the airport to move my plane to the hangar, the guy next to me had doubled his tiedown ropes, let some air out of his tires, and strapped 2x4s to the wings, like a homemade version of the spoilers above. I thought he was an idiot. Turns out, the hurricane blew the door off the sliding track, and the top of it hit my plane on the nosewheel. It pushed it back into the hangar and the tail and wingtip were damaged by the wall of the hangar. My plane was down for a month, and it was 6 months before all the repairs were finished. Meanwhile, my neighbor pumped up his tires and was flying the next day.
I don’t understand letting some air out of the tires. The rest makes sense.

Back