Mooney M20 crash rural MN

Colleague worked him in to the ILS 10R into FCM. Shipped him to tower and then the incident occurred. Wondering if he got disoriented while flying the approach and lost control?
3723537B-657B-4816-8C55-4C75AF0495DA.jpeg

Appears both wings are still attached to the airplane in this still taken from the video, they appear to have snapped on the Spar?

A2CDA910-4404-47A8-BC80-236D567BF3EA.jpeg

RIP.

Appears both wings are still attached to the airplane in this still taken from the video, they appear to have snapped on the Spar?

View attachment 60309

You have to SERIOUSLY g load a Mooney to break the spar. This is going way back in my brain from when I used to work for their support network, so the story may not be right. A J model Mooney flew through a thunderstorm in East Texas in the late 90s or early aughts, with predictable results. When they found the wreck, both wings and the H stab were attached but the wing spar was broken. I hope I'm remembering this right, I want to say that they determined the airplane had been subject to 9g positive and -2 or -3 before it finally gave up. Those planes are seriously overbuilt, and are incredibly sturdy.

You have to SERIOUSLY g load a Mooney to break the spar. This is going way back in my brain from when I used to work for their support network, so the story may not be right. A J model Mooney flew through a thunderstorm in East Texas in the late 90s or early aughts, with predictable results. When they found the wreck, both wings and the H stab were attached but the wing spar was broken. I hope I'm remembering this right, I want to say that they determined the airplane had been subject to 9g positive and -2 or -3 before it finally gave up. Those planes are seriously overbuilt, and are incredibly sturdy.
One of my CFIs was the PIC in that crash

RIP.

I did a bulk of my commercial rating at KAXN. Also got my CFI spin endorsement with the guys there.

Colleague worked him in to the ILS 10R into FCM. Shipped him to tower and then the incident occurred. Wondering if he got disoriented while flying the approach and lost control?
View attachment 60308

View attachment 60309

RIP.

Maybe spacial disorientation with the smoke while vectors to the ILS? I’ll be curious to see what the NTSB has to say.

Definitely not rural Minnesota. About 20-25 minutes sw of KMSP. Happened about 5 minutes from my house. Several of my wife's co-workers responded. Last article I saw was left horizontal stabilizer was found two blocks away. Was def cloudy that day but he should have been below any of that. Never a good spot but they were mere yards from several crowded buildings. Did my PPL/IR at KFCM and made a couple trips to AXN. Would generally contact tower over Lake Waconia just west of where the a/c went down, almost a straight shot to the field from there. Cant find the rate of descent but I imagine it was pretty bad after the horizontal stabilizer fell off.

Last edited:
Back