Airline flies passengers to the wrong airport

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Nepali airline Buddha Air made a blunder recently when it flew passengers to the wrong airport.
The domestic airline departed from Kathmandu's Tribhuvan International Airport on December 18. From there it flew northwest to the country's second-biggest city of Pokhara, instead of going southeast to the flight's intended destination, the southern city of Janakpur. The two cities are about 250 miles apart.
Astha Basnet, executive officer at Buddha Air, tells CNN Travel that the mix-up was due to two factors: "lapses in communication and failure to follow detailed standard operating procedures (SOP)."
In simpler terms, it was just a mix-up.

Last week I flew load of pax from ATL-CHS. After the flight I went into the terminal to do some walking and found a guy freaking out to the gate agent because he wanted to go ATL-CLT. My initial reaction was that I couldn't believe we let this poor guy on the wrong plane and shouldn't we have some sort of fine Southern Jets technology that should catch this at the gate scanner. But alas, looking at this guy's actual boarding pass and itinerary, he in fact bought himself a ticket for Atlanta to Charleston instead of Charlotte.

Can't fix stupid. Bet it was a great price, though

Last week I flew load of pax from ATL-CHS. After the flight I went into the terminal to do some walking and found a guy freaking out to the gate agent because he wanted to go ATL-CLT. My initial reaction was that I couldn't believe we let this poor guy on the wrong plane and shouldn't we have some sort of fine Southern Jets technology that should catch this at the gate scanner. But alas, looking at this guy's actual boarding pass and itinerary, he in fact bought himself a ticket for Atlanta to Charleston instead of Charlotte.

Had something similar happen a few years ago. Also flew a guy to CHS who intended to go to CRW. His daughter bought him the ticket but she didnt pay attention to which state during booking. He ended up renting a car.

I've been to the wrong London airport before. I've been to the wrong Belfast airport before. Fortunately both fixable. Amazing how your mind focuses in on thinking it's the wrong one.

I flew a passenger to Fayetteville, NC one night instead of Fayetteville, AR because his wife bought a ticket to the wrong city. He was a good sport about it.

In the 90’s, I had a passenger say “this was the quickest flight to Washington ever” and didn’t realize her daughter bought her a ticket to DC, not SEA.

Back pre 911 when I would be getting on a Trans States flight in St. Louis for home in Springfield IL, they would constantly tell passengers to verify they were going to Springfield Illinois not Missouri. It was the same regional servicing both destinations and apparently it was quite common to have passengers end up in the wrong one.

We quite often had flights come into the FBO I was flying charter for that landed at the wrong Springfield.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Nepali airline Buddha Air made a blunder recently when it flew passengers to the wrong airport.
The domestic airline departed from Kathmandu's Tribhuvan International Airport on December 18. From there it flew northwest to the country's second-biggest city of Pokhara, instead of going southeast to the flight's intended destination, the southern city of Janakpur. The two cities are about 250 miles apart.
Astha Basnet, executive officer at Buddha Air, tells CNN Travel that the mix-up was due to two factors: "lapses in communication and failure to follow detailed standard operating procedures (SOP)."
In simpler terms, it was just a mix-up.
It's Buddha Air. Location is a state of mind... Wherever you fly, there you are.

Over the years several people have booked tickets to Syndey, Nova Scotia when they wanted to go to New South Wales.

Supposedly one person who made this mistake ended up befriending someone she met at YQY, and decided to just roll with it and stay in Nova Scotia for a week:

Daily Mail Foreign Service said:
In December last year, Argentinean woman Monique Rozanes Torres Aguero from Buenos Aires thought she was in Australia after landing in Nova Scotia.

She decided to stay for a holiday after befriending a local woman at the airport.

My aunt once accidentally booked a ticket with an origin in ABQ instead of ALB (since both cities start with"Alb"), but caught the mistake right afterward and the airline was willing to change it free of charge.

There are a number of stories of new pilots up here flying to the wrong village, only to be told by the pax that it wasn’t their home :bounce:.

Back pre 911 when I would be getting on a Trans States flight in St. Louis for home in Springfield IL, they would constantly tell passengers to verify they were going to Springfield Illinois not Missouri. It was the same regional servicing both destinations and apparently it was quite common to have passengers end up in the wrong one.

We quite often had flights come into the FBO I was flying charter for that landed at the wrong Springfield.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
D’oh!

I’ve done COU and CAE in the same day out of Chicago...same with SPI and SGF. Gotta be real clear in those boarding announcements...

Was always super easy to spot the Augusta GA passengers who were getting on the Augusta ME airplane... I mean end of March, if they were wearing shorts, a basketball shirt, or (trying not to be racists) not white- odds were we’d get a tap in the should in rock land with a “I think I got on the wrong plane”

Nope, you got on the right plane, you just bought a ticket to the wrong place. (AUG pops up first and is in ME).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy accidentally flew to San Angelo instead of San Antonio. Went to alaska air's website, started typing in "San A-" and accepted the first autofill!

Back