Shopping for new airplane

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
My club is shopping for a new airplane to replace our totaled Warrior. We're pretty flexible at the moment - here's the general guidelines:

1) Must be a low-wing airplane.
2) Budget around $50K....maybe a 10% bump if the airplane is right...
3) Needs a quality IFR GPS....think 430 or better...

I've considered a number of PA-28 flavors, but what am I missing? Thought about a Musketeer. Not interested in a Tomahawk. Maybe a Grumman. As long as it's a fixed-gear single and low wing, we'd consider it.

Aaaaaand.....go!

RV something?
Grumman something, they're a good bit faster than the Cherokee on the same engine 2 and 4 seat models, most pretty reasonably priced. Training market doesn't want anything to do with em so they haven seen the 200% price explosion in the last 2 years.

You can get into a Comanche for 50k, but they're retract.

RV something?
Grumman something, they're a good bit faster than the Cherokee on the same engine 2 and 4 seat models, most pretty reasonably priced. Training market doesn't want anything to do with em so they haven seen the 200% price explosion in the last 2 years.

You can get into a Comanche for 50k, but they're retract.

Really like the RV idea, but they tend to be spendy....

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for a Mooney or a Comanche or even a Viking, but they want a fixed-gear airplane. We have a TB200 and an Arrow, so the fixed gear, lower cost airplane is our "student" training airplane. Thus the desire around a PA-28 variety. But yeah...the prices....

Wouldn't mind a Tampico if we could find one for the right price.

What else, guys?

Really like the RV idea, but they tend to be spendy....

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for a Mooney or a Comanche or even a Viking, but they want a fixed-gear airplane. We have a TB200 and an Arrow, so the fixed gear, lower cost airplane is our "student" training airplane. Thus the desire around a PA-28 variety. But yeah...the prices....

Wouldn't mind a Tampico if we could find one for the right price.

What else, guys?
Ah, in that case go get another pa28 or kind of look at the Grummans.

Ah, in that case go get another pa28 or kind of look at the Grummans.

I know, right? I've been trying to think of decent low wing fixed tricycle-gear singles for 50K and I come up with:

• PA-28
  • Grumman AA-series
  • Beech Musketeer/Sundowner

There's gotta be some other options, I'm just drawing a blank....

I know, right? I've been trying to think of decent low wing fixed tricycle-gear singles for 50K and I come up with:

• PA-28
  • Grumman AA-series
  • Beech Musketeer/Sundowner

There's gotta be some other options, I'm just drawing a blank....
Not in that price range and for what you're looking to do with it. There's some stuff in the 100-125hp 2 seat category like a DA-20(too expensive) or a tramahawk. Some stuff down into the LSA category as well.

Not in that price range and for what you're looking to do with it. There's some stuff in the 100-125hp 2 seat category like a DA-20(too expensive) or a tramahawk. Some stuff down into the LSA category as well.

What are you thinking in LSA category? I thought about that, but everything I've seen in LSA was 70-100K or more.

I have no experience in them at all but an Alarus/CH2000 might fit in that price range, I've seen a few with IFR panels

The Grumman Cheetah is a good airplane. Mine trued out around 135kts on 8gph. It was a very efficient airplane.

I currently have a Cherokee 180 and have no complaints other than a lack of a second engine and retractable gear.

I’ll chime in on the Grumman. Taught two different people how to fly in two different travelers, and then one guy got a tiger. Traveler is the basic with the smallish tail, Cheetah got the aero improvements, Tiger added the horsepower.
Very economical, $50k would probably get you into a pristine traveler, a nice cheetah or an older tiger with an old panel. (Just guessing on the numbers, been a while since I paid attention.)
If you’re interested, I can put you in contact with a couple people to get the low down.

I’ll chime in on the Grumman. Taught two different people how to fly in two different travelers, and then one guy got a tiger. Traveler is the basic with the smallish tail, Cheetah got the aero improvements, Tiger added the horsepower.
Very economical, $50k would probably get you into a pristine traveler, a nice cheetah or an older tiger with an old panel. (Just guessing on the numbers, been a while since I paid attention.)
If you’re interested, I can put you in contact with a couple people to get the low down.

Thanks. I'm getting some mixed signals from the club about what we're really looking for so I'm going to sit back and wait to see what the board decides. Appreciate the advice. There's a nice little AA-5 at JYO that is operating with one of the flight schools and I've thought about getting a ride in it just for grins.

My club is shopping for a new airplane to replace our totaled Warrior. We're pretty flexible at the moment - here's the general guidelines:

1) Must be a low-wing airplane.
2) Budget around $50K....maybe a 10% bump if the airplane is right...
3) Needs a quality IFR GPS....think 430 or better...

I've considered a number of PA-28 flavors, but what am I missing? Thought about a Musketeer. Not interested in a Tomahawk. Maybe a Grumman. As long as it's a fixed-gear single and low wing, we'd consider it.

Aaaaaand.....go!
4217 Juliet has been completely refurbished by new owner.
Ken Beene 254 644 4102 outside Waco

Back