JASDF F-4EJ Phantom operations, final year.

Sad to see them go but it is time.
My first AF assignment was Spangdahlem AB, Germany. My office was right next to a TabVee shelter. Full engine run ups inside those shelters and our whole building just shook.
Had the Wild Weasels. Zweibruken AB had the recon F4's
Dang I feel old now but plenty of memories

Sad to see them go but it is time.
My first AF assignment was Spangdahlem AB, Germany. My office was right next to a TabVee shelter. Full engine run ups inside those shelters and our whole building just shook.
Had the Wild Weasels. Zweibruken AB had the recon F4's
Dang I feel old now but plenty of memories

Now Spang was just selected to have its units moved and the base given back to the Germans, but available for contingency use.

Leaves just Ramstein as the only USAF base in Germany, with its wing of C-130Js.

Realistically, Europe is a pain for fighter ops. Weather mostly. Noise abatement a close second. Which is funny, the people around Spang were complaining about the noise, now they don’t want the US jets to leave. Was the same song and dance with Bitburg and the Eagle wing there when it was closing.

TN-6252-12-PHANTOM-FGR-2.jpg
d6C45w7l.jpg

Now Spang was just selected to have its units moved and the base given back to the Germans, but available for contingency use.

Leaves just Ramstein as the only USAF base in Germany, with its wing of C-130Js.

Realistically, Europe is a pain for fighter ops. Weather mostly. Noise abatement a close second. Which is funny, the people around Spang were complaining about the noise, now they don’t want the US jets to leave. Was the same song and dance with Bitburg and the Eagle wing there when it was closing.

They did the same crap in Mannheim and Illesheim when the Army moved out.

Turns out just demanding we stay on the Kasern and just toss the money over the fence while not making any noise isn’t a viable option. I really wish I could have been in the room when they told a few of the “land baron” property owners fleecing the US government because they controlled the available supply of off post hosing thought when they found out we were closing up shop. Sorry Rudy (actual name of the property manager who owned all the local Gov’t lease buildings) you are about to have to stop charging ridiculous rent in those apartments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a crashed F4 outside of anchorage I have routinely flown by for years. It has a cool looking planform.

Taxied past an F-4 in Japanese markings at Misawa a few days ago. Single ship, and they were going flying. Maybe some sort of dissimilar aggressor or something for a hordes of F-16s, F-2s, and F-35s?

Taxied past an F-4 in Japanese markings at Misawa a few days ago. Single ship, and they were going flying. Maybe some sort of dissimilar aggressor or something for a hordes of F-16s, F-2s, and F-35s?

Possibly, or maybe just a single ship sortie back to Hyrakuri. That last squadron is flying what dwindling remaining hours they have until December when they’re done for good.

Beautiful. I had a little private sniffle watching the Japanese crew crawling over their Double Ugly, knowing it was almost certainly the last time I'd see one that wasn't on a plinth.

PS. One of our new street C/As is a former Tomcat dude. He was totally disinterested in all of the other Fs (got the t-shirt, and probably a few others he can't talk about), but even he craned his neck a little bit to check out the Phantom.

Last edited:
My dad was flying in the first squadron to get the F4J, VMFA 334 I think. The Marines eventually went on to update them to "S" standard, with the B model upgrades becoming F4Ns. There is really no picture in my childhood memory more clear than the evenings I'd go see my dad at El Toro, eventually sit on the logs at the end of the 25s and watch afterburning Phantoms take off into the Southern California sunset.

Phabulous.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

My dad was flying in the first squadron to get the F4J, VMFA 334 I think. The Marines eventually went on to update them to "S" standard, with the B model upgrades becoming F4Ns. There is really no picture in my childhood memory more clear than the evenings I'd go see my dad at El Toro, eventually sit on the logs at the end of the 25s and watch afterburning Phantoms take off into the Southern California sunset.

Phabulous.

Sad how little remains of El Toro. The last remnants only there for who knows how long. Went walking around the field area snapping some pics of these remains....hangars, base ops, ATC tower. A mighty base this once was. Same with Tustin.

Sad how little remains of El Toro. The last remnants only there for who knows how long. Went walking around the field area snapping some pics of these remains....hangars, base ops, ATC tower. A mighty base this once was. Same with Tustin.
It really is, it was a very big, key base for the Marine Corps, really for the Pacific. Tremendous history and a lot of stories to tell. Once 3rd MAW left it was a total ghost town, then they had the commercial jet trials, then the "Great Park". Supposedly they intend on leaving a small section of the runway and the arresting gear as a nod to the Marines and the history of the land, but I imagine at some point, as we all get old and leave, it will be nothing but a small green belt for more condos.

At least Tustin has the blimp hangars, which are protected.

I haven't been back in years, last I was there I walked aboard from the old Sand Canyon gate, must have been over 15 years ago. It was mostly intact then. Lots of memories.

Back