7 Earth Size Exoplanets Orbiting TRAPPIST-1 Star

If anyone here thinks I don't have a handle on possible reasons we haven't "heard" another civilization or what the host of possibilities are for the make up of an alien civilization, don't know me at all.

With the sheer number of habitable planets in our small corner of the galaxy, the fact we haven't tripped over a similar civilization is concerning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, 40 light years away, isn't exactly in our back yard. The nearest star from earth, Alpha Centauri, is about 4.2 light years away. Voyager 1 has been traveling now for more than 35 years. It will take around 1,939 more years for Voyager 1 to get close to Alpha Centauri.

If it takes that long for a man-made craft to reach a star which is at 4.2 light years away, you can imagine how long it will take to cover a distance of 40 light years.

And as Dr. deGrasse Tyson put it........one can go to any beach on any ocean, scoop up a cup of water, look at it, see no whales in the sea water in the glass and wrongly proclaim/assume that there are no whales in the ocean.

Last edited:
If it takes that long for a man-made craft to reach a star which is at 4.2 light years away, you can imagine how long it will take to cover a distance of 40 light years.

You'll just need one of these, and it's just around the corner...
JvR5wWT.jpg

You'll just need one of these, and it's just around the corner...
JvR5wWT.jpg
Wouldn't that be kick ass!!

Meanwhile, I am holding out for the launch of this puppy next year. It will travel at .067% light speed. This stuff just makes me giddy. lol

The probe will make seven passes of Venus, over more than six years, to gradually reduce the craft’s perihelion (closest approach to the Sun) to approximately 8.5 solar radii, or 3.7 million miles (6 million kilometers). This will put the spacecraft well inside Mercury’s orbit.

Solar Probe Plus will hold the record for the closest solar pass, approaching nearly seven times closer than the current record holder, the Helios 2 spacecraft.

Although it will take six years and twenty-four orbits for the spacecraft to reach its intended final orbital configuration, Solar Probe Plus will make its first pass of Venus less than two months after launch and will begin collecting data on its first pass of the Sun one month after that.

479540main_SPPObservingSun.jpg

solarprobepl.jpg

NASA’s Solar Probe Plus Mission Moves One Step Closer to Launch
NASA’s Solar Probe Plus – the first mission that will fly into sun's upper atmosphere and “touch” the sun – has passed a design review, an important milestone leading to its anticipated summer 2018 launch. The successful review means the mission may now transition from formulation and design to final assembly and implementation. The spacecraft, as it appears in the image, currently includes the primary structure and propulsion system. Over the next phase of the mission, engineers at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland – which manages the mission and is building the spacecraft – will finish assembly and install the rest of the spacecraft systems and science instruments.

Solar Probe Plus is slated to launch during a 20-day window that opens July 31, 2018. The spacecraft will collect data on the mechanisms that heat the corona and accelerate the solar wind, a constant flow of charged particles from the sun. These are two processes with fundamental roles in the complex interconnected system linking the sun and near-Earth space – a system that can drive changes in our space weather and impact our satellites. Solar Probe Plus is part of NASA’s Living With a Star program, an initiative focused on aspects of the sun-Earth system that directly affect human lives and society. The program is managed by NASA’s Goddard Spaceflight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

Check out this link: http://solarprobe.jhuapl.edu/

Last edited:
Well, 40 light years away, isn't exactly in our back yard. The nearest star from earth, Alpha Centauri, is about 4.2 light years away. Voyager 1 has been traveling now for more than 35 years. It will take around 1,939 more years for Voyager 1 to get cose to Alpha Centauri.

And as Dr. deGrasse Tyson put it........one can go to any beach on any ocean, scoop up a cup of water, look at it, see no whales in the sea water in the glass and wrongly proclaim/assume that there are no whales in the ocean.

Absolutely.

There's probably a colony of ants that is in the middle of the McDowell Mountain Preserve which borders my neighborhood that literally has no idea humans exist because of the vast distance between their colony and Thompson Peak Parkway.

Scale, technology, the definition of life, the definition of intelligent life, interest.

My brain says the universe is teeming with life. Most likely, to a much lesser extent by what we consider "intelligent" life. Now if you have intelligent life doesn't necessarily guarantee they're space-faring. The ones that are space-faring probably have encountered quite a bit of intelligent life through the billions of years they've probably been around. They may have zipped by during our "primordial swamp" days, found nothing interesting and motored on.

I think the really mind-blowing thing is that we consider "suitable for life" is defined as livable by us. But everything we've seen on our own earth is highly evolved to thrive on Earth. It doesn't mean that life can't flourish in hard vacuums, super hot/cold (by Earth standards) or in conditions that are highly toxic to us, but necessary for them to live.

Or something, I don't know.

Absolutely.

There's probably a colony of ants that is in the middle of the McDowell Mountain Preserve which borders my neighborhood that literally has no idea humans exist because of the vast distance between their colony and Thompson Peak Parkway.

Scale, technology, the definition of life, the definition of intelligent life, interest.

My brain says the universe is teeming with life. Most likely, to a much lesser extent by what we consider "intelligent" life. Now if you have intelligent life doesn't necessarily guarantee they're space-faring. The ones that are space-faring probably have encountered quite a bit of intelligent life through the billions of years they've probably been around. They may have zipped by during our "primordial swamp" days, found nothing interesting and motored on.

I think the really mind-blowing thing is that we consider "suitable for life" is defined as livable by us. But everything we've seen on our own earth is highly evolved to thrive on Earth. It doesn't mean that life can't flourish in hard vacuums, super hot/cold (by Earth standards) or in conditions that are highly toxic to us, but necessary for them to live.

They already have you under observation. It's only a matter of time.

1064629.gif

Absolutely.

Europa...attempt no landings there....

Absolutely.

Yes! It was once believed that there could never be any life forms on planets that had certain toxic to us, gasses. That has been rejected now. They could indeed have some type of crazy assed life form that we cannot yet imagine. I mean yearly, we are finding all sorts of new and really bizzaro species with even stranger chemical make ups, that live in the greatest depths of the oceans that have no light and little oxygen.

We had always made the mistake of measuring intelligence to human beings, yet many, many mammals, birds, insects, reptiles and even fish are intelligent.

When science teaches us what we do not know (even destroying what we thought we knew), that is far more important and exciting than what we do know. Bit by bit, puzzle piece by puzzle piece, the universe reveals itself to us. Nothing is more exciting than this. The adventure will continue for centuries. We are merely at the infancy stage thus far, in all reality.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Derg, post: 2657592, ]

If you really want a mind-blowing movie about alien contact, check out "Arrival". Loved it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't, but I think I was looking for an Alien outbreak/war to happen and missed the cerebral part of the movie, will need to watch it again.

Now Interstellar, easily in my top 5 of all time.

If anyone here thinks I don't have a handle on possible reasons we haven't "heard" another civilization or what the host of possibilities are for the make up of an alien civilization, don't know me at all.

With the sheer number of habitable planets in our small corner of the galaxy, the fact we haven't tripped over a similar civilization is concerning.

Another folly of human conceits: assuming intelligent life would want to talk to us.

"You people elected the toupee guy president. We'll pass."

or

"Apathetic bloody planet..."

The folly is thinking these other civilizations are trying to "talk" to us.

We simply aren't picking up signs of civilizations. Even with all the other possible forms of life and what not, the shear number of planets suggest there should be a lot of civilizations out there that are similar enough to our own, we should be able to detect some.

40 light years is "just down the road a piece" in galactic terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We simply aren't picking up signs of civilizations. Even with all the other possible forms of life and what not, the shear number of planets suggest there should be a lot of civilizations out there that are similar enough to our own, we should be able to detect some.

IF we're looking the right way.

It's like pointing bouncing radar off the Pacific ocean and surmises that it's a lifeless body of water.

Humans share 99% of our DNA with chimps and we can only communicate in rudimentary fashion with them, I can only assume a higher life form would be communicating in ways we can't even dream of.

The fact that there are so many possibilities, to deny that there isn't life on another planet, intelligent or not, seems absurd to me. It also, to me at least, blows the whole religion thing out of the water.

IMO, we haven't heard from anyone else because we likely don't use the same technology, and, they are really far away, so the signal may have not even made it here yet. Who knows.

Humans share 99% of our DNA with chimps and we can only communicate in rudimentary fashion with them, I can only assume a higher life form would be communicating in ways we can't even dream of.

Well.... you can just save yourself time and not watch "the arrival."

You already get the whole point.

It's extraordinarily unlikely that we will be visiting stuff 40 light years away whilst wearing our meat suits. We are just way, way too big and dopey and fragile. We are quite a lot closer to unzipping the meat suit entirely than to accelerating the meat suit to some meaningful faction of c, sustaining the meat suit for hundreds of years, decelerating the meat suit, etc.

Also, these animations rely on an enormous amount of extrapolation. Like to the point that it's bordering on deceitful to produce them, imho.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as the next guy about the question of life, what it is, where it is, how it is related to sentience, etc etc. And if this discovery fires the imaginations of people and thereby leads them to support or even participate in hard science, great!

Back