Leave AA for Fedex?

Yea I never thought about leaving until recently. I'm just worried about passenger airlines in general. And right now making money is my priority and fedex seems to be the place for maximizing earnings.
How much earlier do you think you'd retire with the increased wage and pension? That pension is huge. If you're going to commute your whole life retiring should be goal #1.

Yes, but that comes with a pitfall for pilots. Just ask DHL pilots (Astar types).
That's my point, DHL never had that logistical solution. They were kinda sorta an ACMI with an attempt at making deliveries.

How much earlier do you think you'd retire with the increased wage and pension? That pension is huge. If you're going to commute your whole life retiring should be goal #1.

That's my point, DHL never had that logistical solution. They were kinda sorta an ACMI with an attempt at making deliveries.
Yea the pension is great. But we all saw what happened to the pensions at the legacies last decade.

Do you mind me asking what your quals were, @learhawkerbe400 ? Former check airman? Thanks.
Seriously, US hired practically anyone back then. Lots of FOs even. It was the best thing going. Second or third year pay on the Airbus was $56, no one wanted to come here. It was a huge gamble but it seemed to have paid off.

Just like investing the best place to go might not be the hot place right now.

United hired guys from Aperture...A cessna 206 mapping company!? Wow.

You mean the the CP who worked for SkyWest for 5 years... That's the only one I know of. He was a good dude too, so United is lucky to have him.

No one else from Aperture has been picked up that I am aware of. I could be wrong though unless we are talking about the same person

I don't understand how you think flying freight is going to be better than airlines in 30 years.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Seriously, US hired practically anyone back then. Lots of FOs even. It was the best thing going. Second or third year pay on the Airbus was $56, no one wanted to come here. It was a huge gamble but it seemed to have paid off.

Just like investing the best place to go might not be the hot place right now.

So were you shot down at Airways?

I don't think I was just anyone when I was interviewed and subsequently hired. There were a lot that wanted to go to Airways.

You can step down off your pedestal now. I was asked @learhawkerbe400 about his qualifications and why the FedEx hiring matrix (designed by the Delta shrink) picked his app. I have heard through the grapevine that if you didn't have some sort of instructing/check airman/etc experience, FedEx wouldn't even look at you.

Thank you for your opinion, though. I'd like to think the people I work with, in my seniority range, on the LUS side, are some of the finest men and women aviation has to offer.

I don't think I was just anyone when I was interviewed and subsequently hired. There were a lot that wanted to go to Airways.

You can step down off your pedestal now. I was asked @learhawkerbe400 about his qualifications and why the FedEx hiring matrix (designed by the Delta shrink) picked his app. I have heard through the grapevine that if you didn't have some sort of instructing/check airman/etc experience, FedEx wouldn't even look at you.

Thank you for your opinion, though. I'd like to think the people I work with, in my seniority range, on the LUS side, are some of the finest men and women aviation has to offer.
I knew plenty of guys who never heard back from Airways and the guys in my class had pretty impressive resumes (besides @L-16B).

While not a pilot, I work for FedEx and have been here for 3 years. I would prefer to do my job at a passenger carrier, not just for the flight privileges, but because the passenger carriers is a true "airline operation", FedEx is a trucking company with airplanes. FedEx has its downsides and secrets just like any other carrier.

FedEx is good but this is totally a grass is greener situation. Amazon is definitely a competitor and we don't have any idea how that will impact us 35 years (let alone 5 years). Do our pilots have a good contract? Sure they do.

As an individual who loves to fly, I could never fly for FedEx or UPS simply because I wouldn't fly enough. In talking with crews, the hub turns suck, and secondly, you do maybe 3 legs a night. If you ever have to deice, it's a nightmare...think long duty times and a giant cluster****. I have never seen anything like it....ever.

The money is great, and yes, the 757 captains went junior, but you will be doing midnight hub turns to DSM or FOD. The 757s at FedEx do short haul routes (MEM-SHV, MEM-LFT) stuff like that. Like my old man said, money doesn't always buy happiness. It seems like you have it pretty good at AAL.
Good luck in your decision, and if you want any information, I will be happy to answer any questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an individual who loves to fly, I could never fly for FedEx or UPS simply because I wouldn't fly enough.

Trust me. That will wear off. Boxes don't complain. I never really wanted to be a freight dawg but that's how it ended up. Very often when I ride on a pax airline I walk off thanking my lucky stars that I don't have to be a part of that.

"Deltas" shrink designed the "hiring matrix"?

Do tell!

Back