New headset recommendations

Tld

Waffles Brah.
I know, dead horse, but I need recommendations. The airbus is significantly quieter than the WSCOD emb I used to fly, but it's still an airplane. I used my lightspeed Zulus in the Embraer and don't want to pack them (or anything else too bulky) around anymore. Leaning away from the dc pro-x because they seem like they take up a bit of space, not sure. And the telex airman 850s just aren't cutting the noise enough and I really want to protect my hearing. Does anyone have suggestions for an in-ear active noise cancelling set? Should I get custom earpieces made? And how does that process work after you buy a headset?

Thanks!

I know, dead horse, but I need recommendations. The airbus is significantly quieter than the WSCOD emb I used to fly, but it's still an airplane. I used my lightspeed Zulus in the Embraer and don't want to pack them (or anything else too bulky) around anymore. Leaning away from the dc pro-x because they seem like they take up a bit of space, not sure. And the telex airman 850s just aren't cutting the noise enough and I really want to protect my hearing. Does anyone have suggestions for an in-ear active noise cancelling set? Should I get custom earpieces made? And how does that process work after you buy a headset?

Thanks!
I've seen guys wear some ear plugs in the bus. Could be an idea. Are you planning on wearing the headset even above 180?

I've seen guys wear some ear plugs in the bus. Could be an idea. Are you planning on wearing the headset even above 180?

Probably not, but maybe earplugs above 18, good idea! I'm concerned about the white noise over time, but also like to travel light. I just don't know how well the in-ear stuff works, or if it's worth it to try.

Clarity Aloft ftw.
Is the clarity aloft active noise cancelling or do you not need active noise cancelling because they're in-ear? I saw some weird chart on their website about the noise cancelling but then it says they're "passive". If it works just as well, I don't care too much :)

Is the clarity aloft active noise cancelling or do you not need active noise cancelling because they're in-ear? I saw some weird chart on their website about the noise cancelling but then it says they're "passive". If it works just as well, I don't care too much :)

All passive. Just a squishy foam plug with the audio tube inside. I mean I'm just a measly piston driver, but my normal steed for survey is an old Cherokee 235 which is loud as frack. My old Flightcomm Denali's (ANR) were decent, but my CA's are stupid light and provide better noise reduction. Plus you could always leave one earpiece out for conversations not on the interphone without the headset being all catywompus.

Reactions: Tld
If you can find an old pair of Lightspeed Mach 1s for sale somewhere you'd be set. Damn shame Lightspeed stopped selling them. I wore them on the Saab/Q/CRJ after I got tired of sending my POS Bose headset in for repairs every several months. Same idea as clarity aloft but more comfortable. How do you find telex 850s to be not quiet enough?

Used a Telex 5X5 with a molded earpiece. Worked great when I flew the Bus. Works great in the 757 with deafeningly loud recirc fans.

I say go with the DC Pro-X...works great in the Q400. The bluetooth has a slight "hiss" when it's on and you're not streaming to it.

I got $425 credit from Aircraft Spruce for my Bose X to put towards my new headset, I think they offer the same for a Lightspeed Zulu. Might be worth looking into.

@Derg and I can't be wrong, right?

Still suggesting the DC Pro's.

And they're freaky green so when someone tries to steal them, you can whap them on the side of a head with a baseball bat because chances are, they're yours.

I love my Sennheiser HMEC 25, but I just read on their website that they are exiting the aviation headset market. Too bad, the quality of audio and the microphone are great. Basically, it's the same headset that you see many broadcasters wearing on TV at sporting events, etc.

I know you ask too many questions!

Honestly I have no idea, i have the qc2 thing and i love it
I don't want to do that because both of those are essentially legacy products with little support going forward in all likelihood.
There's supposedly a new ufm coming out but who knows when.
I like the idea of the telex ascend if anyone has any experience with those. IME telex is usually junk but....

Last edited:

Thanks!

Do you require a TSO'd headset?

Ozzie's right about the Clarity Aloft, and they have a TSO'd version. Yes, it's passive, but it works as well (some say better) because it's in your ear and blocking as opposed to having to actively cancel out an open space around your ears. I've used both kinds, I prefer in-ear a little more.

If you're not under the TSO requirement, I'd humbly recommend you try out a Halo from Quiet Technologies. It's extremely lightweight, very comfortable, and you can wear it in multiple configurations.

Thanks! Yeah, pretty sure ithas to be tso'd. I'll look into the halo though too just to see the differences. Thank you!

Thanks! Yeah, pretty sure ithas to be tso'd. I'll look into the halo though too just to see the differences. Thank you!
Check your GOM. Headsets don't have to be TSOd as far as the FAA is concerned as long as you have the TSO hand mic and speaker or unless a headset is required per the TC.

Devil's advocate here:

My only advice is don't spend too much because, I predict: within a month, you'll get sick of lugging stuff around and playing the headset switch game and eventually subconciously leave it in an airplane, never to be seen again (ask me how I learned this), and join the community pool.

I've been "making out" with our coworkers for over 10 years and have suffered no permanent consequences (I wipe the muff down with an alcohol wipe).

Hearing loss: Maybe it's just convenient genetics, but I've been Drumming, DJing, Shooting, and Flying some LOUD-ASS (cargo metroliner?) airplanes pretty much my whole life and I have yet to have any appreciable hearing loss in any range I care about.

My $0.025...

Good luck and have fun!!!'

Back