Strong Bags Mini V 19" Anyone Using It?

SquatThrust

Approaching the start of being a regional slave and am looking for some recs on crew luggage and in particular if anyone here is using the Strong Bags Mini V 19" roller.

The smaller size is appealing as I'm pretty good at packing light and tight but curious if it's been found to be sufficient for 3-4 day trips for the kinds of folks that don't bring along 99% of what they own.

As for budget, the cost of this bag is about the most I'm willing to consider (~$200).

http://www.strongbags.com/products/bag/mini-v.html

I can tell you that the Travel Pro 22" roller is already tearing up after about three months of use, and is a struggle to fit in CRJ 200 and legacy 700 overhead bins. You can't put anything in the external pockets and expect it to fit.

A 19" roller is considerably less volumous than a 22". That's several t-shirts, socks, and underwear worth of space.

Not sure what aircraft you will be looking at, but a bag about 14" wide and 8" deep will fit a CRJ bin no matter if it is 19" to 26" long/tall.

I wish I had spent the extra $100 or so for a LuggageWorks Stealth. I figured I could at least get a year or two out of the Travel Pro, but I was wrong. The warranty does not cover this wear and tear either. Buying a replacement Travel Pro will be about $50 total in this year more than if I had just bought the LW bag.

You might look at the 22" LW Executive though. It's a bit over $200 and I have seen other guys with them.

Have a Strong Bag and love it. Bought the 19" model and returned it immediately..was too small. Own the bigger model and it's perfect. Nice construction and has lasted 7 + years. Sent it back once and had it refurbished for $40 a few years ago.

I can tell you that the Travel Pro 22" roller is already tearing up after about three months of use, and is a struggle to fit in CRJ 200 and legacy 700 overhead bins. You can't put anything in the external pockets and expect it to fit

You can never use the term "legacy" to refer to anything regional jet; that is reserved for Pan Am, Eastern, etc. Every time someone says "Legacy ExpressJet", god gives a kitten aids.

I would agree the 19" is way too small.

I had the ~$300 Luggage Works for many years. Yes it's true it's built tough. It's also heavy and expensive. After 6 years the thing was totally destroyed, and in reality I just kept it limping along the last year. So many things wrong with it, where I had to drill and add a nut/bolt here or there, sew it back together (several times) due to large rips, etc. To refurbish it would've cost around $230, or the vast majority of the cost of a new one.

Instead I went with a different view, that bags are disposable and are essentially a wear item. I purchased a TravelPro Pilot roller last year expecting it to only last a couple years. What I found was that now that I don't have a pubs case, I can treat the bag a lot better. I used to drag, as did most, my bag up the CRJ stairs with the 25# case attached! Or up/down flights of stairs or off of curbs. I really beat on that Luggage Works bag.

So, while yes the LW bags are great, and built fairly tough (although I'm hearing from others the newer versions aren't quite as durable) if you can take better care of your stuff you can easily get away with a less expensive, MUCH LIGHTER, bag. The MUCH LIGHTER part is important, I can't tell you how amazingly nice it is to travel light these days, after lugging that heavy LW bag, pubs case, and stuffed cooler around I won't go back.

I can tell you after about 1.5 years the bag still looks fairly new. There are a few scuffs here and there but it's still in excellent shape. Granted, a LW bag treated the same way will also last a long time, but it will be twice as expensive and almost twice as heavy (15 vs 9 lbs). The TravelPro still has wheels that are replaceable, the handle is replaceable, etc. similar to the LW, just less expensive and lighter.

If you have access to Costco the Kirkland can be a good option however I felt it lacked many of the pockets I liked to have on the side. The extra $50 I spent on that TravelPro was worth it IMO.

I would agree the 19" is way too small.

I had the ~$300 Luggage Works for many years. Yes it's true it's built tough. It's also heavy and expensive. After 6 years the thing was totally destroyed, and in reality I just kept it limping along the last year. So many things wrong with it, where I had to drill and add a nut/bolt here or there, sew it back together (several times) due to large rips, etc. To refurbish it would've cost around $230, or the vast majority of the cost of a new one.

Instead I went with a different view, that bags are disposable and are essentially a wear item. I purchased a TravelPro Pilot roller last year expecting it to only last a couple years. What I found was that now that I don't have a pubs case, I can treat the bag a lot better. I used to drag, as did most, my bag up the CRJ stairs with the 25# case attached! Or up/down flights of stairs or off of curbs. I really beat on that Luggage Works bag.

So, while yes the LW bags are great, and built fairly tough (although I'm hearing from others the newer versions aren't quite as durable) if you can take better care of your stuff you can easily get away with a less expensive, MUCH LIGHTER, bag. The MUCH LIGHTER part is important, I can't tell you how amazingly nice it is to travel light these days, after lugging that heavy LW bag, pubs case, and stuffed cooler around I won't go back.

I can tell you after about 1.5 years the bag still looks fairly new. There are a few scuffs here and there but it's still in excellent shape. Granted, a LW bag treated the same way will also last a long time, but it will be twice as expensive and almost twice as heavy (15 vs 9 lbs). The TravelPro still has wheels that are replaceable, the handle is replaceable, etc. similar to the LW, just less expensive and lighter.

If you have access to Costco the Kirkland can be a good option however I felt it lacked many of the pockets I liked to have on the side. The extra $50 I spent on that TravelPro was worth it IMO.

@wheelsup
I have the same TravelPro Pilot bag. That's the bag that is already coming apart after only three months of use. I have been good to the bag in terms of not dragging it up stairs and other abuse. The external pocket on the back of the bag has already lost both zipper pulls, and the zipper itself started to come apart after the first month. And I never put anything in the outer pockets because then the bag is too big to fit the bins, so the pockets weren't damaged from overfilling the pocket and busting the zipper, etc. With nothing in the external pockets, it is difficult to fit into the CRJ overhead bins. It's 9.5" thick with nothing in the outer pockets, as I said above a bag only 8" thick would fit the bins much easier and probably not be damaged as easily.

Somewhat related, talking about wear and tear, the TravelPro tote I am using as a flight bag is already coming apart at two different internal seams, and it's not from being overfilled. I can't fill it full or else it will not fit the cockpit side bins as it is also wider than the bin in the short/crossways dimension. Lengthwise it fits. The cockpit bin is 8.5" x 19", and the bag is about 10" x 14". Not a good fit, and I wish our company did not push these two bags on new guys just because they are cheaper.

As someone new to regional flying, I wouldn't worry about packing for the 4 day trip. It's the 5 days on reserve plus having to commute in the day before. I have a 22" Stealth, and I wouldn't go smaller, especially if commuting.

Thanks for all the various points of view so far, everyone. It is very helpful. Right now I'm leaning away from purchasing a standard non-crew style bag. Even though they are less expensive, it just seems like the trade-off of less durability will counteract the cost advantage of said bags.

The LuggageWorks Stealth bags look nice, too. Anyone here have any experience with the LW Stealth Air bag? (The one where they shaved 4lbs out of the bag). If the lighter weight model is just as sturdy, I'd definitely give that serious consideration over the standard.

As someone new to regional flying, I wouldn't worry about packing for the 4 day trip. It's the 5 days on reserve plus having to commute in the day before. I have a 22" Stealth, and I wouldn't go smaller, especially if commuting.

Good points. I am planning to move to base, so hopefully these concerns will be mitigated some. I've got a lot of time spent living out of suitcases from a previous side-vocation, so I'm fairly comfortable with space saving measures and packing techniques, etc, not to mention all the non-revving around the world out of a carry-on 22" as an airline employee that I was able to do.

As an aside, from my time working as an airline ramper for just shy of a decade, I've seen first hand from a ramper's perspective what styles of bags tend to hold up well and yes, I can really feel the sturdiness in a LuggageWorks bag or StrongBags bag, but good lord are they heavy. Shlepping half a dozen of those things up the jetway stairs is a work out!

At that point you've lost the selling point of the LW series though. Might as well with an even cheaper plastic framed bag.

I don't think so at all. I've had one problem with mine and that was actually caused by a seized wheel bearing. Other than that it's been going strong.

@wheelsup
I have the same TravelPro Pilot bag. That's the bag that is already coming apart after only three months of use. I have been good to the bag in terms of not dragging it up stairs and other abuse. The external pocket on the back of the bag has already lost both zipper pulls, and the zipper itself started to come apart after the first month. And I never put anything in the outer pockets because then the bag is too big to fit the bins, so the pockets weren't damaged from overfilling the pocket and busting the zipper, etc. With nothing in the external pockets, it is difficult to fit into the CRJ overhead bins. It's 9.5" thick with nothing in the outer pockets, as I said above a bag only 8" thick would fit the bins much easier and probably not be damaged as easily.

Somewhat related, talking about wear and tear, the TravelPro tote I am using as a flight bag is already coming apart at two different internal seams, and it's not from being overfilled. I can't fill it full or else it will not fit the cockpit side bins as it is also wider than the bin in the short/crossways dimension. Lengthwise it fits. The cockpit bin is 8.5" x 19", and the bag is about 10" x 14". Not a good fit, and I wish our company did not push these two bags on new guys just because they are cheaper.
That's surprising you must really beat on it, I haven't had a single issue (knock on wood) even the zippers are 100% intact.

My LW Stealth is still going strong after 10 years of life on the Saab, Q, CRJs, and now 73s. I replaced one handle cushion, two wheel bearings, and a few screws in that whole time. You tell me if it's worth the investment. Don't be cheap (Kirkland) and don't be an FA (Travelpoo). Get a real bag once and just be done with it.

Have to agree with the Stealth, labored over it for weeks, the $$$, the weight, which stealth to get.

I went with the Stealth Suiter 22". Fits in the CRJ cockpit closet thing with another LW 22" bag, fits in the overhead of every airliner I have been on. No issues with gate checking it, I know it will come out the other side like a champ no matter how much hate ramp might dish out.

Bonus, I use the Suiter portion for extra shirts, and the blazer stays nice in there if i want to commute plain clothes, which I normally prefer.

My advice is to get the stealth 22". I haven't looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's surprising you must really beat on it, I haven't had a single issue (knock on wood) even the zippers are 100% intact.

No, that's my point. I have been careful with it. The thing cost like $140 at a company discount, and for me that's expensive, so I have been gentle. It's just poor performance, durability, etc. probably aggravated by the dimensions of the bag vs dimensions of the CRJ overhead bins. I have seen quite a few with zipper problems and side pockets dangling open as they roll through the terminal. It looks like crap.

Trying to build up the financial courage to buy the LW bag now. Lol

Have to agree with the Stealth, labored over it for weeks, the $$$, the weight, which stealth to get.

I went with the Stealth Suiter 22". Fits in the CRJ cockpit closet thing with another LW 22" bag, fits in the overhead of every airliner I have been on. No issues with gate checking it, I know it will come out the other side like a champ no matter how much hate ramp might dish out.

Bonus, I use the Suiter portion for extra shirts, and the blazer stays nice in there if i want to commute plain clothes, which I normally prefer.

My advice is to get the stealth 22". I haven't looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you posted this, as I was wondering about the Suiter.

Back