Vertical path non-precision approach safety?

It's not just remember the numbers either. We have 4 ex Qantas planes here that have the 3 decimal radios. It takes so long to spin the damn frequency in that half the time I've forgotten what it was by the time I get close.

That's exactly what I'm talking a out. 132.625 is a pain to dial in.

They don't use "maintain" in their phraseology.

It's either "XXX, descend to flight level _____" or "XXX, descend to altitude _____."

At least there's not much ambiguity. Friggen Maiquetia Venezuala says stupid things like "descend 2000".

The hardest part for most freight pilots moving into the 121 world is that the cargo (people) don't have to be at the destination. (I get that they do but bear with me.) I was talking to a DO of a 121 operation and I told him about my frieght life and he responded by saying that they don't have to get in.

Even though getting to the destination is pretty much the goal, it's not the desired option if it's between putting the plane full of people willing to sue anyone at the drop of a hat. CANPA approaches are easier because of how similar to an ILS (it seems, I haven't flown one). The other reason to do the is because it forces the flight crew to put the aircraft in a safe place to land were the dive and drive allows you to get into the airpory but puts the aircraft in a possible situation of low, slow, high drag, continously re-trimming the aircraft, and significant power changes where the turbofans may not be able to keep up if the pilot has been on duty for 16 hours and flying the last leg after a horrible day.

Also, the CANPA isn't designed necessarily for the US. ICAO has decided it was the best course of action because they regulate all corners of the world.

Or am I missing the point?

The hardest part for most freight pilots moving into the 121 world is that the cargo (people) don't have to be at the destination. (I get that they do but bear with me.) I was talking to a DO of a 121 operation and I told him about my frieght life and he responded by saying that they don't have to get in.

Even though getting to the destination is pretty much the goal, it's not the desired option if it's between putting the plane full of people willing to sue anyone at the drop of a hat. CANPA approaches are easier because of how similar to an ILS (it seems, I haven't flown one). The other reason to do the is because it forces the flight crew to put the aircraft in a safe place to land were the dive and drive allows you to get into the airpory but puts the aircraft in a possible situation of low, slow, high drag, continously re-trimming the aircraft, and significant power changes where the turbofans may not be able to keep up if the pilot has been on duty for 16 hours and flying the last leg after a horrible day.

Also, the CANPA isn't designed necessarily for the US. ICAO has decided it was the best course of action because they regulate all corners of the world.

Or am I missing the point?
We fly freight and passengers at my airline. We don't operate the jet any different when we have a load of freight. We'd like to get to the destination either way, but we utilize the same VNAV approaches regardless of what's in the back.

We fly freight and passengers at my airline. We don't operate the jet any different when we have a load of freight. We'd like to get to the destination either way, but we utilize the same VNAV approaches regardless of what's in the back.
Ah the self loading freight!

It's not just remember the numbers either. We have 4 ex Qantas planes here that have the 3 decimal radios. It takes so long to spin the damn frequency in that half the time I've forgotten what it was by the time I get close.
You haven't memorized the 3 HCF frequencies?

I can remember exactly four numbers.

The radio frequencies internationally are two digits too long to remember.

135.2 - Easy peasy.
135.625 - Crap, say again?
I'm the fastest fingers in the west on the scratchpad while they're riffing off all the digits. :)

You haven't memorized the 3 HCF frequencies?

I haven't flown since I finished OE.

Honestly though, why the hell are there 4 different frequencies for when you are departing the 8s? I did 3 KOA turns the other day and EVERY time we had a different departure frequency.

I haven't flown since I finished OE.

Honestly though, why the hell are there 4 different frequencies for when you are departing the 8s? I did 3 KOA turns the other day and EVERY time we had a different departure frequency.
I hated that. As the day went on they would slowly break up the sectors. By the time we got to about 1300 there would be 3 frequency changes on downwind. I do miss all the flying though. I listen to it on live ATC every once in awhile.

Back