Multi-Engine Time Recency

RS1

If you gain your ratings and 100+ multi at a flight school, then go on to instruct somewhere local (single engine mostly) to build time to 1500, how recent does that multi-engine time need to be to get hired at an airline or 135? I know it depends, but looking at averages here.. It could take 2 years to build 1500, and for that reason I have to work full time (office job) and instruct part time. There is no way I can afford to live for 2 years with crappy instructor pay and then another 3 or more on crappy regional pay (under 30k) after paying 50 grand for the ratings... So I choose to keep my office job. Main question is, would they count that 100 hours multi from a couple of years ago as good enough if I have been instructing SE on weekends for the past 2 years?

Thanks

Just got rent a twin somewhere every few months and get recurrent in the multi. Or, better yet, get the MEI.

Just got rent a twin somewhere every few months and get recurrent in the multi. Or, better yet, get the MEI.
thanks guys for the info, but the MEI I do plan on getting, but the school I want to instruct at doesn't really fly any multi's as of now... I don't want to leave my good paying job while instructing and this place is flexible enough to allow that, most schools with multi engine are career oriented and they want full time instructors only... I want to make a more gradual transition, not in a hurry to get to a 20k a year regional, so I can build TT while paying off my loans and what not at my office job...

Just having an MEI is in no way a guarantee of getting any ME time while you're building your total up. In the last couple of years there were very few students for ME training to go around. And the guys who already had plenty of time and experience were (rightfully) chosen as the instructors.

I was hired with a regional about a year ago. Looking over my AirlineApps application, I don't even see where I mentioned any recency by type. Just overall time in the last 30/60/90 days. You should be good. Good luck!

Just having an MEI is in no way a guarantee of getting any ME time while you're building your total up. In the last couple of years there were very few students for ME training to go around. And the guys who already had plenty of time and experience were (rightfully) chosen as the instructors.

I was hired with a regional about a year ago. Looking over my AirlineApps application, I don't even see where I mentioned any recency by type. Just overall time in the last 30/60/90 days. You should be good. Good luck!
Landis, this is great info, and thanks for sharing! How old would you say the average new hire is? I know i'm a bit older than the "curve" but like to know how far behind I actually am..

Thanks

Landis, this is great info, and thanks for sharing! How old would you say the average new hire is? I know i'm a bit older than the "curve" but like to know how far behind I actually am..

In my class I would have to say that the ages varied from about mid-20's to 1 or 2 guys in their mid-40's. It was not as young a crowd as I was expecting. I think the lowest time guy had about 1500 hours (only about 10% had less than 2000) and the highest time was a former F/A-18 instructor and UAL pilot. It was a large cross-section. But the days of the 250 hour guys with wet commercials appear to be over.

In my class I would have to say that the ages varied from about mid-20's to 1 or 2 guys in their mid-40's. It was not as young a crowd as I was expecting. I think the lowest time guy had about 1500 hours (only about 10% had less than 2000) and the highest time was a former F/A-18 instructor and UAL pilot. It was a large cross-section. But the days of the 250 hour guys with wet commercials appear to be over.
Yeah definitely. I should be probably early 30's when I have 1500 hours. The 1500 hour rule guarantees that those days (250 hr wonders) are over, but I do think that there will be a time when people with 1500 hours are picked right up. I think there are more retirements over the next 20 years than there are regional pilots flying today or something like that? I hope that is true... either way I will fly in some capacity, as a weekend instructor, or a hopefully one day as an airline pilot...(if working conditions ever improve)

Back