F-15 Raytheon Award...

Good thing that video is of the light grey Eagles and not the dark gray Eagles.... You should see the kind of people they let fly the dark gray's

At 7:30 there is a pretty dramatic clip of an Eagle dude splitting the throttles, and doing the Eagle pirhoutte. Cool stuff, very well done video.

Why do they always have to ruin cool videos with music.

FTFY.

I don't want to hear music. If I wanted to hear music, I'll hit up my iPhone or something. I can hear music any time I want. You know what I can't hear any time I want? Airplanes. Especially fighter jets. That's what I want to hear. Jets screaming, props in beta, radials, and some radio chatter. Period. That's it. Don't f up an otherwise awesome video with your tastes in music.

That said... that was fun to watch (muted). The split throttle was pretty sweet. I imagine those are some pretty serious g-forces in a maneuver like that. Looks like turning on a dime while losing a bit of altitude at the same time. Good times!

At 7:30 there is a pretty dramatic clip of an Eagle dude splitting the throttles, and doing the Eagle pirhoutte. Cool stuff, very well done video.

I was watching this last night on the projector and I remembered seeing the spot where there was only a single after burner and I was going to ask what the deal was with that, if it was some intentional maneuver, but then forgot about it and never posted the question. Now after reading your comment, I went back and see the control inputs right before.... pretty cool.

FTFY.

I don't want to hear music. If I wanted to hear music, I'll hit up my iPhone or something. I can hear music any time I want. You know what I can't hear any time I want? Airplanes. Especially fighter jets. That's what I want to hear. Jets screaming, props in beta, radials, and some radio chatter. Period. That's it. Don't f up an otherwise awesome video with your tastes in music.

That said... that was fun to watch (muted). The split throttle was pretty sweet. I imagine those are some pretty serious g-forces in a maneuver like that. Looks like turning on a dime while losing a bit of altitude at the same time. Good times!

1. Inside the cockpit of an Eagle in flight is just a whole lot of ear-splitting noise. Some of it is engine noise, most of it is the monster ECS system cooling all the avionics. Remember, fighters have zero sound deadening in them. If you want to simulate that, turn your tv or radio on to static at full volume, then listen to it through headphones, and that would be an accurate representation.

Here are a couple videos I've taken that have "accurate" sound:

2. The "split throttles" pirouette actually is a pretty low-G maneuver. I believe what they are depicting there is a maneuver they call "The Clam" and in the Strike Eagle we call a "Vector Roll". It is a maneuver that, when performed in 1 v 1 BFM, is intended to decoy an opponent into thinking the defender has a gigantic nose turn rate. If performed properly, the other aircraft can fail to notice the cost in altitude, and it can "scare" the opponent into thinking he is at a disadvantage for the time being.

1. Inside the cockpit of an Eagle in flight is just a whole lot of ear-splitting noise. Some of it is engine noise, most of it is the monster ECS system cooling all the avionics. Remember, fighters have zero sound deadening in them. If you want to simulate that, turn your tv or radio on to static at full volume, then listen to it through headphones, and that would be an accurate representation.

Here are a couple videos I've taken that have "accurate" sound:

2. The "split throttles" pirouette actually is a pretty low-G maneuver. I believe what they are depicting there is a maneuver they call "The Clam" and in the Strike Eagle we call a "Vector Roll". It is a maneuver that, when performed in 1 v 1 BFM, is intended to decoy an opponent into thinking the defender has a gigantic nose turn rate. If performed properly, the other aircraft can fail to notice the cost in altitude, and it can "scare" the opponent into thinking he is at a disadvantage for the time being.

I'm awestruck Hacker......if I could do your job everyday .....they would have to sandblast the smile off my face!

when performed in 1 v 1 BFM, is intended to decoy an opponent into thinking the defender has a gigantic nose turn rate. If performed properly, the other aircraft can fail to notice the cost in altitude, and it can "scare" the opponent into thinking he is at a disadvantage for the time being.

Funny you mention this......a big portion of every Hornet v Eagle DACT debrief I have ever heard or been a party to has included the Eagle guy saying something to the effect of "I couldn't believe how quickly your nose could move, that scared the crap out of me". Unfortunately few aircraft can defy the laws of physics, so it means about the same thing for us as it probably does for you guys......it's just easier to do in the -18.

My heaters like your "monster ECS" as well :)

I'm awestruck Hacker......if I could do your job everyday .....they would have to sandblast the smile off my face!

It has been most definitely a thrill -- ultimately, unfortunately, it is just a flying job. I've had a good number of days where I would have given just about anything to be somewhere else (especially when it involves SAMs or AAA), so it is not all rainbows and unicorns.

My heaters like your "monster ECS" as well :)

Your jet was built by the same company that built mine. Your ECS just happens to have a different location for the exhaust.

every Hornet v Eagle DACT debrief I have ever heard or been a party to has included the Eagle guy saying something to the effect of "I couldn't believe how quickly your nose could move, that scared the crap out of me".

I have said that myself -- for me, my first fight against a Hornet was my 2-ship flight lead ACM (2-v-1) sortie, and I had several moments where, audibly inside the cockpit, I said, 'there's NO WAY HE CAN DO THAT!!'.

I have said that myself -- for me, my first fight against a Hornet was my 2-ship flight lead ACM (2-v-1) sortie, and I had several moments where, audibly inside the cockpit, I said, 'there's NO WAY HE CAN DO THAT!!'.
Just recently flew with a hornet guy and he was explaining that exact thing, sounded like a blast.

Back