Ground lesson material for part 61

proxima3003

Im sorry if this was asked earlier, but Im looking for some good material to teach ground portions at a PART 61 school. I got most of my certs at 141, so Im used to everything being written out, scheduled, etc. Are there any good silibus/lesson plans, material that I could use? Yes, I do have some lesson plans from my cfi initial, but I was wondering if there is anything professionaly made out there that you guys use,

Thanks

Im sorry if this was asked earlier, but Im looking for some good material to teach ground portions at a PART 61 school. I got most of my certs at 141, so Im used to everything being written out, scheduled, etc. Are there any good silibus/lesson plans, material that I could use? Yes, I do have some lesson plans from my cfi initial, but I was wondering if there is anything professionaly made out there that you guys use,

Thanks

Sure there is a lot of them out there. Sporty's and Jeppesen both have them for sale. Use can use any 141 lesson plan you want part 61. And you can skip around since its part 61.

Look at some of the electronic ones available as well depending on the student. I have liked MS Aviation, though I have used Jeppesen and been happy (I also incorporate AOPA and FAA on line courses).

Jepp i generally what I like to use. Just remember that under Part 61, the syllabus is really just a guideline and should be taylored to each student's needs/learning style.

Sure there is a lot of them out there. Sporty's and Jeppesen both have them for sale. Use can use any 141 lesson plan you want part 61. And you can skip around since its part 61.
You can skip around part 141, too. So this is an irrelevant second sentence.

You can skip around part 141, too. So this is an irrelevant second sentence.

Actually thats the point of of Part 141 is "structured" training. The training facility adopts a specific training syllabus and must follow the program that is filed with the FAA. Sure you can repeat lessons if needed but without completing each task on each lesson you are NOT following a 141 program approved by the FAA. You can also do 5 seperate lessons in one flight but all 5 lessons tasks must be met in order to still be following 141. If you take an approved training syllabus and start skipping around how ever you want what makes that any different than just training Part 61? You can't tell me the school you work at lets you take students and do for example: lesson 3 in stage 1 commercial one day then if you want to go do lesson 14 in stage 2 the next day, then go back to stage 1 the next. Whats the point of stage checks? Again, whats the point of 141 then? I can assure you that the FAA would not approve of skipping around and doing whatever you want if you are suppose to be teaching a "structured" program.

There are ones that are available but doing it yourself you will learn soo much yourself. Once you start teaching you will keep changing it as well as you figure out what works and what doesn't. What I discourage is trying to plan out lesson by lesson. Instead I use phases similar to how 141 use stages. So for private the first phase is the four fundamentals. Once they can do that we go on to ground reference maneuvers. Then we go on to air work. Then the next phase is solo prep (landings) etc etc. If you try to do lesson by lesson the students gets off track so fast because everyone learns at different paces its not funny. And once they feel off track good luck getting them to stick around. In your phases leading up to solo make sure you cover everything required by the FARs. I use checklist I made for each stage of flight training such as solo, solo cross country etc that I go through to make sure that each student has done everything required by the FARs before I send them off on their own. Also as stated before list what material you want the student studying during each phase. Using online resources such as AOPA is great as well. Helps keep the student focused and learning. The hardest part of doing 61 is making sure your student is doing the book work if they didn't do a ground school. You can't just tell them make sure to read. You need to assign material and then during the next lesson ask feeler questions to see if they actually did what you asked them to do.

Actually thats the point of of Part 141 is "structured" training. The training facility adopts a specific training syllabus and must follow the program that is filed with the FAA. Sure you can repeat lessons if needed but without completing each task on each lesson you are NOT following a 141 program approved by the FAA. You can also do 5 seperate lessons in one flight but all 5 lessons tasks must be met in order to still be following 141. If you take an approved training syllabus and start skipping around how ever you want what makes that any different than just training Part 61? You can't tell me the school you work at lets you take students and do for example: lesson 3 in stage 1 commercial one day then if you want to go do lesson 14 in stage 2 the next day, then go back to stage 1 the next. Whats the point of stage checks? Again, whats the point of 141 then? I can assure you that the FAA would not approve of skipping around and doing whatever you want if you are suppose to be teaching a "structured" program.
Your example sucks btw. Every syllabus is different, and maybe one school's syllabus is in order from 1-20 and you do exactly 1-20. However, our schools is set up for freedom to move about. I give end-of-course tests daily, and the FAA at the toughest FSDO in the nation HAS in fact approved that, with a stamp that is meant for if we jump more than 3 lessons ahead. You can skip around as much or as little as you want in the stage, and thats where your face will turn red and I could care less. However, standardization is strong, and I trust every one of my CFI's that I work with. Now, you shouldn't skip around between stages too much, unless it's necessary. The only time that is acceptable DAILY is in the IRA/COMM 141 combined course. Notice I said shouldn't not couldn't. Before our syllabus matched the learning guide the 2nd stage started with soloing, but after that it was all review flights and ground checks for an end-of-course test, which meant that if the weather sucked, and solo was not an option, what do you do? According to you its a no, god forbid you touch stage 2, so cancel the student right? Tell your owner that one, and see how fast your is on the street jobless. You move on to the next lesson, next stage or not. I can include some FOI into here too if you like me too. If your student is hitting a plateau on maneuvers, what are you going to do, grind his until he gets over it by himself with the potential to have him leave? I sure hope not. You move into something completely unrelated. I usually go for the XC. Why? Because it's a fun flight, and breaks up the monotony of doing the same crap in the same practice area over and over again.

(edit for: http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/profanity-filters-and-you.123330/)

Your example sucks btw. Every syllabus is different, and maybe one school's syllabus is in order from 1-20 and you do exactly 1-20. However, our schools is set up for freedom to move about. I give end-of-course tests daily, and the FAA at the toughest FSDO in the nation HAS in fact approved that, with a stamp that is meant for if we jump more than 3 lessons ahead. You can skip around as much or as little as you want in the stage, and thats where your face will turn red and I could care less. However, standardization is strong, and I trust every one of my CFI's that I work with. Now, you shouldn't skip around between stages too much, unless it's necessary. The only time that is acceptable DAILY is in the IRA/COMM 141 combined course. Notice I said shouldn't not couldn't. Before our syllabus matched the learning guide the 2nd stage started with soloing, but after that it was all review flights and ground checks for an end-of-course test, which meant that if the weather sucked, and solo was not an option, what do you do? According to you its a no, god forbid you touch stage 2, so cancel the student right? Tell your owner that one, and see how fast your is on the street jobless. You move on to the next lesson, next stage or not. I can include some FOI into here too if you like me too. If your student is hitting a plateau on maneuvers, what are you going to do, grind his until he gets over it by himself with the potential to have him leave? I sure hope not. You move into something completely unrelated. I usually go for the XC. Why? Because it's a fun flight, and breaks up the monotony of doing the same crap in the same practice area over and over again.

(edit for: http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/profanity-filters-and-you.123330/)

Well you proved my point for me! Your school has "that" approval for its program. It still doesn't mean that the school down the street can do it too. Oh, BTW you can totally say ass on JC :D

Well you proved my point for me! Your school has "that" approval for its program. It still doesn't mean that the school down the street can do it too. Oh, BTW you can totally say ass on JC :D
LOL nice. I was just trying to clarify some differences between some schools and ours, that is all. <insert beer glasses tapping>

Back