FlyersRights Calls on DOT To Investigate and Fine Airlines Associated With Tarmac Delays

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
So perhaps they could put down the wine in Napa and realize that without infrastructure investments, there will be "tarmac confinements" and perhaps the organization can find another victim to enrichen themselves with.

After all, it's election season. Plenty of low-hanging fruit to make a few dollars off of! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

NAPA, CALIF., SEPT. 19, 2012 — NAPA, Calif., Sept. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- FlyersRights.org today called on The Department of Transportation to investigate and fine airlines $27,500 per customer stuck on grounded planes in July. The DOT announced there were 18 domestic flights stuck on the ground for longer than the tarmac rule allowed in July, making it the second-worst month since the policy took effect in April 2010, according to Transportation Department records.
"It's outrageous that any airline, in face of the fines imposed by DOT, would violate the 3-hour tarmac rule" said Kate Hanni, Executive Director FlyersRights.org. "But for the DOT to avoid fining these air carriers would truly be a tragedy in the face of July's tarmac confinements," continued Kate. "No other organization fought harder than FlyersRights.org to stop tarmac delays, and we will not stay silent if these events again become a part of the US air travel experience. There have been several large scale tarmac events for which no fines have been imposed, i.e. October 2011's Snowmageddon at Bradley International, and clearly the airlines will continue holding poor, unsuspecting people hostage on the tarmac unless the DOT enforces the tarmac rule."

"Weather does not keep a plane out on the tarmac; tarmac strandings are entirely the fault of the airlines and until every airline CEO has been stuck in a hot, sweaty, metal tube without food or water and shrieking babies indefinitely, the tarmac incidents will continue." Continued Hanni.

Domestic flights with longest tarmac delays exceeding three hours were: Shuttle America flight 3512 from Chicago O'Hare to Atlanta, 7/13/12, delayed on tarmac 257 minutes; ExpressJet Airlines flight 6180 from Rapid City, S.D. to Chicago O'Hare, 7/13/12, delayed on tarmac 249 minutes; ExpressJet Airlines flight 5918 from Richmond, Va. to Chicago O'Hare, 7/13/12, delayed on tarmac 242 minutes; SkyWest Airlines flight 5211 from Cleveland to Chicago O'Hare, 7/13/12, delayed on tarmac 221 minutes; ExpressJet Airlines flight 5875 from Harrisburg, Pa. to Chicago O'Hare, 7/13/12, delayed on tarmac 219 minutes. There was only one international flights with a tarmac delay exceeding four hours: Caribbean Airlines flight 526 from Georgetown, Guyana to New York JFK, 7/7/12, delayed on tarmac 243 minutes.

FlyersRights.org is the largest Airline Passengers Rights Organization in the World with 50,000 members and a toll free hotline manned 24/7 for airline passengers in distress: 1-877-359-3776
SOURCE FlyersRights.org

For someone not versed on how these things work, what are the reasons that an airplane would be "stranded" on the ramp?

For the most part, irregular operations.

Add in any airport construction, some weather, some delayed flights and some cancelled flights and things go cattywumpus pretty quick.

Think of airport terminals like a 'hot rack' on an aircraft carrier. Someone is waking up and within a few moments, there's a person taking that 'rack' to nap.

Oftentimes, there is a plane barely pushing back at the gate that we are scheduled to arrive. Now if that flight is delayed because of passengers, loading, whatever, now we're delayed into the gate AND blocking taxiways... Just think of "The Butterfly Effect"

So perhaps they could put down the wine in Napa...

Were you joking? 'Cause Tim Hanni and Kate Hanni run Hannico, LLC, a company where, as "flavor mavens," they educate people about whiiiiiine.

liLtB.jpg
"FlyersRights.org Executive Director Kate Hanni displays the "They treat you like dirt" Award - a bucket of dirt - that she will deliver to Delta Airlines"​

Were you joking? 'Cause Tim Hanni and Kate Hanni run Hannico, LLC, a company where, as "flavor mavens," they educate people about whiiiiiine.
liLtB.jpg
"FlyersRights.org Executive Director Kate Hanni displays the "They treat you like dirt" Award - a bucket of dirt - that she will deliver to Delta Airlines"​

Looks like she needs to lay off the painkillers and Xanax before photo ops.

My wife sat in a sealed cabin at the gate for over 3 hours with 3 children under 6 years of age, and the airline refused exit. If it were up to me every person associated with that flight to the 4th degree of separation would have to sit in a metal folding chair until they shat themselves...and then they'd sit in that for another hour.

My wife sat in a sealed cabin at the gate for over 3 hours with 3 children under 6 years of age, and the airline refused exit. If it were up to me every person associated with that flight to the 4th degree of separation would have to sit in a metal folding chair until they shat themselves...and then they'd sit in that for another hour.

Yeah, but traveling with three kids under six is kinda asking for it.

You sure the door was shut? Because the clock doesn't start for this until the main cabin door closes.

Had to read the headline twice not to think of this:

fineAir.jpg

Although I guess the uptake is we're Making Progress.

For the most part, irregular operations.

Add in any airport construction, some weather, some delayed flights and some cancelled flights and things go cattywumpus pretty quick.

Think of airport terminals like a 'hot rack' on an aircraft carrier. Someone is waking up and within a few moments, there's a person taking that 'rack' to nap.

Oftentimes, there is a plane barely pushing back at the gate that we are scheduled to arrive. Now if that flight is delayed because of passengers, loading, whatever, now we're delayed into the gate AND blocking taxiways... Just think of "The Butterfly Effect"

Four hours worth of construction, wx, and delayed flights? How does THAT work? And at what point does the crew start getting cranky?

I thought aviation had "the best and brightest".... They can't figure out an aircraft stuck in the "tarmac vortex"?

Back