Pilot Killed Dropping Toilet Paper On Political Rally

tomokc

Not how I want to be remembered.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-09-11-10-31-08

MOSCOW, Idaho (AP) -- Idaho authorities say the pilot of an airplane flying over a Republican party gathering had been dropping rolls of toilet paper before it crashed.

The Federal Aviation Administration says early indications are that the experimental airplane stalled or reached a speed and angle at which it lost its lift.

The crash Saturday afternoon killed the pilot, 60-year-old Randy Humble, of Moscow, Idaho.

... are that the experimental airplane stalled or reached a speed and angle at which it lost its lift..

I'm hoping that the second portion of that phrase, after the 'or,' was meant as a definition of stall, as opposed to an addition option to a stall.

I was just explaining to a student last night that a large percentage of stall spin accidents occur during "maneuvering".

I think it's easier than people realize, the pilot's attention gets engaged outside the airplane doing something "fun" or silly that puts them in a situation where attitude and/or airspeed change at rates that they are not used to and the airplane easily creeps into the no-longer-flying zone and either a panic reaction ensues making the situation worse, or there simply isn't time/altitude to recover. This is why buzzing, maneuvering while looking at things on the ground/photos, or flying tight on the deck or in canyons, or "bombing" (with toilet paper or other things) produces stall/spin accidents.

maneuvering-stall.jpg

The Federal Aviation Administration says early indications are that the experimental airplane stalled or reached a speed and angle at which it lost its lift.

The crash Saturday afternoon killed the pilot, 60-year-old Randy Humble, of Moscow, Idaho.

fixed it

Unknown? Is that like when a dog farts and scares itself but doesn't know what the hell made that sound?

I seriously lol'd at this. I've had my dogs over the years do that, whipping their heads around looking for the culprit. Hahahaha

Back