No Job Openings?!?

Hondo Calrissian

I love chicken wings and beer....
I was recently on Linkenin and one guys said he has had his ticket since last year but yet has found any kind of work...I know in the last few months, SkyWest, ExpressJet, Pinnacle and Allegiant all have had openings that I know off the top of my head. I find it kind of hard to believe that there are no jobs out there with the market starting to be prosperous again.

Any thoughts?

First job is always the hardest one to get - but I found one (admittedly, a long time ago) with no airline experience or flight ratings within three months of finishing school. You just have to be persistent about applying to whatever openings you see, and also be willing to move.

I've had mine since January and still haven't found a job. I've applied at every airline that has posted. I also have 9 years airline experience. Skywest is the only interview I've had :/

Lots of shakeups in the industry right now, particularly at the regional level. Stick with it, something will open up. Skywest has a posting up and Gojets should be needing a few soon.

NETWORKING is the key to getting a job quickly; I highly recommend the book "48 days to the job you love" by Dan Miller; It is full of great tips on networking to get the position you want. (It helped me get several interviews in the first few weeks of obtaining my dx license.)
Good luck!

I've applied for a bunch of jobs and although I've missed on most I've been offered 3 interviews (over the last 5 months) and I've had numerous bites. I just accepted a job with a part 121 supplemental company and I start next Monday. The jobs are out there and you just need to be proactive and apply to everything.

I've applied for a bunch of jobs and although I've missed on most I've been offered 3 interviews (over the last 5 months) and I've had numerous bites. I just accepted a job with a part 121 supplemental company and I start next Monday. The jobs are out there and you just need to be proactive and apply to everything.

Congrats on the new gig titansox. Who did you get picked up by? I've worked for a couple of 121 supplemental carriers as a Fe in the past and it was pretty rewarding . I got to visit a lot of garden spots in the world.
slemers

Being proactive is key. Because of that, I had an interview lined up before I even finished dx school and a job a week after getting my license. Also key is not being picky about where you live with that first job. I would think the person who hasn't gotten a job in a year's time has possibly been a bit selective...?

Congrats on the new gig titansox. Who did you get picked up by? I've worked for a couple of 121 supplemental carriers as a Fe in the past and it was pretty rewarding . I got to visit a lot of garden spots in the world.
slemers
I was picked up by a company in MCO. I'm real excited to get started and move down to sunny Florida

Also key is not being picky about where you live with that first job. I would think the person who hasn't gotten a job in a year's time has possibly been a bit selective...?
Yeah this is big. If you try to limit yourself to one city good luck but you are really hurting your chances. Being open minded is huge. In my case, my company is paying for my moving expenses and I think other's will too.
Congrats Titansox!
Thank you!

I'm not gonna be picky about where I get my first job, I would love to stay in FL though, or at least somewhere on the east coast.

I was picked up by a company in MCO. I'm real excited to get started and move down to sunny Florida

Yeah this is big. If you try to limit yourself to one city good luck but you are really hurting your chances. Being open minded is huge. In my case, my company is paying for my moving expenses and I think other's will too.

Thank you!

I interviewed at Cappy in 2007 as a 727 plumber, it looked like a good operation. The crews worked 2 weeks on and two weeks off.
Have fun and knock dead em' in indoc!

In my case, my company is paying for my moving expenses and I think other's will too.

Actually this is pretty rare, in the airline industry. If you're an employee and the company moves operations, then yes, they will pay for your move. As a new hire dispatcher, you're usually on the hook for it yourself. I have had one airline give me a full paid move as a new hire, and it's not something they offer any more. Still, when I was starting out, I didn't have that much stuff to move anyhow.

Also, congrats on the new job, and enjoy your time in sunny FL!

I just find it really odd that people are not getting hired - it makes me wonder three things: 1) Are the directors of SOC/OCC picky in who they hire? I know they should be mindful of who they hire, they want someone who knows what they are doing vs. someone who only knows half the job 2) Are the people who are applying for positions not well prepared in the interview, like knowing where to find the MEA on a IAP or what the reserve fuel requirements are? I have heard from a few people that the schooling can make a differance, all schools need to train the full 250 hours but are they all using the same curriculum? 3) People are limiting the options.

I know there has been a lot of shake downs in the business lately, including our company but the growth of all airlines is a matter of time again especially with fleet expansion at Delta, United, Allegiant, Republic and SkyWest.

I don't have my ticket yet, I start my class August 20th. I plan on coming back to the company I work for once I am done.

As of Aug. 13, openings applicable to a new dispatcher include:
Mesa, ASA, ExpressJet, Great Lakes and Silver Airways

I just updated my resume on Expressjet yesterday afternoon and by 1800 got an email for an interview next week. Can't say there aren't any openings out there. Like it was mentioned previously, for the first job can't be too picky. Best of luck to those looking.

Alaska is looking for Assistant Dispatchers. I am not sure what the pay is, but it is a good foot in the door.

Back