DUN DUN DUNNN Super Secret helicopter used to capture OBL!!!

Re: DUN DUN DUNNN Super Secret helicopter used to capture OB

I'm not a military helo (or operations) guy and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but the military does have a history of crashing helos into things during raids as either a distraction or a large battering ram.

Granted, a compound in the mountains is a long way away from a POW camp in the jungle.

The cause of the crash was due to the helicopters being overweight.....caused by the weight of the HUGE, PURE, BRASS balls of the SEALS onboard! Good hunting boys!

I'm not a military helo (or operations) guy and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but the military does have a history of crashing helos into things during raids as either a distraction or a large battering ram.

Granted, a compound in the mountains is a long way away from a POW camp in the jungle.

I would hope that they would use an unloaded cruise missile or something similar, before a "secret" helichopter...

just sayin' if i'm paying for it, use something meant to be blown up. :)

'nuff said.

I'm sorry if you found anything I said insulting, that was not my intention at all. I'm also sorry if posting that article was inappropriate. I thought it was safe given that the source was "The Army Times."

To anybody trying to call out the current or ex military guys for not commenting on this thread, that's totally inappropriate. Anyone who ever had any kind of security clearance would be legally obligated not to say anything. Not being a helicopter pilot (but greatly admiring and respecting you guys), the only thing I asked about was VRS phenomenon and whether it was actually something that could be encountered in this kind of flying, since "The Army Times" article took a lot of time to talk about it. Sounds like the author was mistaken.

My 2 cents for what its worth. I would assume it was just a modified MH-60 that we (the public) didn't know about or need to know. There are a few modified 60 prototypes that are known to the public to be in development. My take from just seeing the tail section is the airfoils have been beefed up and streamlined along with the tail rotor gear box and hub protected by armored plates. You know the 160th has some toys that only the 160th knows about.

Move along nothing to see here.:D

The cause of the crash was due to the helicopters being overweight.....caused by the weight of the HUGE, PURE, BRASS balls of the SEALS onboard! Good hunting boys!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

the only thing I asked about was VRS phenomenon and whether it was actually something that could be encountered in this kind of flying, since "The Army Times" article took a lot of time to talk about it. Sounds like the author was mistaken.

Not at all - Mike gave you the reader's digest version on what settling with power was all about. This aircraft incident could have been caused by that or a myriad of other things. We'll probably never know.

I would hope that they would use an unloaded cruise missile or something similar, before a "secret" helichopter...

just sayin' if i'm paying for it, use something meant to be blown up. :)

Trust me: You ARE paying for it! Your tax dollars at work!

Thank God all of ours got out safe.........(as far as we know, of course)

If we have to buy one helicopter per assault and can tie off (and annihilate) some of these occupational costs I'd be willing to buy them two helo's every time (my share of the taxes).

I'm sorry if you found anything I said insulting, that was not my intention at all. I'm also sorry if posting that article was inappropriate. I thought it was safe given that the source was "The Army Times."

To anybody trying to call out the current or ex military guys for not commenting on this thread, that's totally inappropriate. Anyone who ever had any kind of security clearance would be legally obligated not to say anything. Not being a helicopter pilot (but greatly admiring and respecting you guys), the only thing I asked about was VRS phenomenon and whether it was actually something that could be encountered in this kind of flying, since "The Army Times" article took a lot of time to talk about it. Sounds like the author was mistaken.

Not at all partner! i was just messin'. I forgot the sarcasm tag.

Not at all partner! i was just messin'. I forgot the sarcasm tag.

Phew! I admit speculating these guys came from a secret area 51 squadron was a little more provocative than I meant to be on a public forum. Thanks for the insight into VRS and the V-22 accident! :D

Jan Michael Vincent was the pilot. The bird's name was: Airwolf. It could go faster than the speed of sound, fly in orbit and shoot down fighter jocks like fish in a barrell. If only they would have put the brains of KITT up front, it never would have crashed.

Jan Michael Vincent was the pilot. The bird's name was: Airwolf. It could go faster than the speed of sound, fly in orbit and shoot down fighter jocks like fish in a barrell. If only they would have put the brains of KITT up front, it never would have crashed.

Well if it was him that DOES explain it. He's got 2 serious driving accidents involving alcohol under his belt.

Eurocopter "Blue Edge" Blades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBS1NRsYuF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3uCDJhce8&feature=related

silent-helicopter-blue-edge-550x366.jpg

Concept is hardly "Top Secret"

Of course probably more at work on this bird?

Now, im not a helo pilot, and i never played on on TV. Just somethings on my mind:

1. The pictures of the tail dont look like anything ive ever seen.

2. A black hawk makes a ton of noise, how did this thing hover right over the roof of the compound without anyone noticing? I'm sure the seals made a quick exit, but you can hear those things coming from a mile away.

3. Why go to the trouble of blowing up a standard issue UH 60? Those things are all over the place.

Just kind of wondering out loud.

I live less than 3 miles from the Sikorsky factory in Connecticut and come to think of it it's been pretty "quiet" the past couple days....hmmmmmm mwahahahahahahahahha

3. Why go to the trouble of blowing up a standard issue UH 60? Those things are all over the place.

Just kind of wondering out loud.

Its not the helo, but whats in it and what kind of potential intel may be onboard. Encrypted radios, navigation systems, etc.

Its not the helo, but whats in it and what kind of potential intel may be onboard. Encrypted radios, navigation systems, etc.

ahh, good point.

I live less than 3 miles from the Sikorsky factory in Connecticut and come to think of it it's been pretty "quiet" the past couple days....hmmmmmm mwahahahahahahahahha

You're kidding me? My girlfriend's family lives about the same distance from there too! Next time I visit with her, we have to have a M&G!!

Back