8710 question, night landings PIC

blackberrypilot

I'm filling out my 8710 and I want to make sure Night Takeoff Landing PIC is the number of landings done at night while acting as PIC? I'm a bit confused.

Also, Cross country solo vs cross country PIC. If you're solo than it's PIC obviously, but I'm looking at my last 8710 and I have 69.4hrs of X-C solo. Do I continue to log x-c solo hours or is it just for students working towards private?

Thanks

I'm filling out my 8710 and I want to make sure Night Takeoff Landing PIC is the number of landings done at night while acting as PIC? I'm a bit confused.

Correct... number of takeoffs and landings at night as PIC (this should be 0 for most private students, unless you soloed at night). For commercial students, this must be at least 10.

Also, Cross country solo vs cross country PIC. If you're solo than it's PIC obviously, but I'm looking at my last 8710 and I have 69.4hrs of X-C solo. Do I continue to log x-c solo hours or is it just for students working towards private?

Cross-country PIC is exactly what it sounds like, all X/C that were with you as PIC. Cross-country solo is any X/C where you are the sole occupant of the aircraft. For Private, these numbers will be equal. Anything beyond private, they will likely not be, as your Dual X/Cs will be PIC, but not solo.

Thanks Florida.

One more question.

I caught an error on my last 8710 with the cross country solo hrs.

I had 68 hrs listed as solo cross country time when it was really only 40.7. I'm correcting it on my current 8710, but could this error come back to haunt me down the road?

I had a lot of PIC cross country hours with my instructor.

I filled out an 8710 last week and didn't fill out any of that stuff. Unless youre required to show it for a rating don't worry about it.

If I'm understanding Florida correctly, I disagree.

IMO PIC for the purpose of meeting Part 61 requirements for certificates, ratings and currency always means =logged= PIC under 61.51, not =acting= PIC.

For example, the instrument requirement for "50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command" means 50 hours of cross country during which you =logged= PIC. Same for the landings.

In terms of continuing to log solo after getting your private, note that the commercial pilot requirements in 61.129 include a solo component and, if you accept the validity of the defunct Part 61 FAQ, this does not include your student pilot solo time. I actually know of one guy who was given a very hard time because he was not able to point to 10 hours in his logbook identified as "solo."

If I'm understanding Florida correctly, I disagree.

IMO PIC for the purpose of meeting Part 61 requirements for certificates, ratings and currency always means =logged= PIC under 61.51, not =acting= PIC.

For example, the instrument requirement for "50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command" means 50 hours of cross country during which you =logged= PIC. Same for the landings.

I think you must be misunderstanding me, because that pretty much sums up what I said. All I was pointing out is the difference between "X/C PIC" and "X/C Solo" is that in many cases you may be PIC, but not the sole occupant (solo).

I think you must be misunderstanding me, because that pretty much sums up what I said. All I was pointing out is the difference between "X/C PIC" and "X/C Solo" is that in many cases you may be PIC, but not the sole occupant (solo).
I still can't tell whether we disagree or not. blackberry asked whether the night landings had to be "while acting as PIC." and you said yes. And even in this post here you are still saying "be PIC."

I'm not busting chops; just trying to clarify.

Hypothetical:

Night dual cross country under IFR by instrument student with her CFII. Instrument student does all the flying. The instrument student is definitely not "acting as" PIC but may "log" PIC as sole manipulator.

I think that the cross country counts toward the 50 hours cross country PIC time and as the landing as a night PIC landing.

I'm not busting chops; just trying to clarify.

Hypothetical:

Night dual cross country under IFR by instrument student with her CFII. Instrument student does all the flying. The instrument student is definitely not "acting as" PIC but may "log" PIC as sole manipulator.

I think that the cross country counts toward the 50 hours cross country PIC time and as the landing as a night PIC landing.

Oh yeah... you're right... I totally missed his "acting" part. I was referring to being the PIC under 61.51. Anytime you log PIC on a X/C for whatever (legal) reason, then it goes in the 8710 box.

Back