Article on CJC3407 NTSB hearing

Sometimes the crew is at fault. Time will tell if this is one of those cases or not.

Sometimes the crew is at fault. Time will tell if this is one of those cases or not.

Yup.

We all hate it, but it is what it is. That said, hanging the crew should not be the #1 priority in any aviation accident. Otherwise you never give enough time to causes #2 through infinity.

If anyone hasn't seen Whisky Romeo Zulu yet, please rent it. Hell, buy it if you can find it. From a pilot turned writer turned actor / director. The most factual based aviation safety film out there.

http://www.aquafilms.com.ar/ingles/films_wrz_ing.html#trailer

To that end, it's clear the Washington Post is out to hang the crew. Yeah, okay, these guys violated sterile cockpit. But, violating sterile cockpit didn't bring the plane down. Something else happened, find out what the hell it was.

Well the stories I've heard is that they were arguing quite intensely about a relationship and forgot about the throttles being down in a lower position the speed bled off slowly and caused the stall.

Also on another subject why did sully shut down both engines when one was still indicating fine...?

We had an FAA jumpseater the other day who wasn't working the investigation but knew a couple of the people who were. He said that after they pulled the CVR/FDR most of the team was in his words sent home. Not so much for the sterile cockpit but for the things that caused the plane to stall and how the stall was dealt with. He could have been full of crap but thats what he said...

"...neither pilot was fully trained to use the aircraft's stall warning and protection system, which includes a feature called the "stick pusher..."

huh?? is there something more than a clacker, shaker, and pusher??

"...neither pilot was fully trained to use the aircraft's stall warning and protection system, which includes a feature called the "stick pusher..."

huh?? is there something more than a clacker, shaker, and pusher??

This is just bad reporting.

As a company pilot, I can vouch that Colgan's stall recovery procedures are taught correctly and the same as other airlines- approved by the FAA, no less. I doubt the FAA would certify Colgan's Q400 training program unless it was valid.

That is for the NTSB to determine.

This is just bad reporting.

As a company pilot, I can vouch that Colgan's stall recovery procedures are taught correctly and the same as other airlines- approved by the FAA, no less. I doubt the FAA would certify Colgan's Q400 training program unless it was valid.

That is for the NTSB to determine.

I just wasn't sure if there was something I didn't know about in the Q. I am a company pilot as well and never thought there was anything wrong with the recovery procedure.

I really wish they would output all the data.

Are voice recorder tapes considered a part of the freedom of information act?

There are so many things wrong with those two sentences- but the part that is making my blood boil right now is intent.

You intend to pore over the details of a deceased airline crew- for your entertainment. Don't deny it, this whole thing is to satisfy your morbid curiosity. So a CFI/II has to go without getting his jollies, pointing fingers at a flight crew and smugly (and all knowingly) deciding how much of a bad job they did. BFD.

When (IF) you ever make it to the real world of flying for a living, the dead last words you'll ever hear a captain (trust me, I know, I am one) say are: Gee, wouldn't it be great if they lifted the CVR ban?

If there is information within the investigation that points to an institutionalized problem, we'll all know about it because I guarantee it will make its way into EVERYONE'S recurrent training.

That's all the "deets" ya need, sport.

Well, besides one. A few dozen people are dead.

/peeved rant over

I'm not as peeved as the other post, but I really think you should reconsider this. The NTSB report will tell you everything you need to know.

Anything else you could glean from the CVR would be tantamount to voyeurism, IMHO.

I don't think you mean anything by it, but I would find it in poor taste for anyone not involved in the investigation to WANT to listen to it.

I'm not as peeved as the other post,

I was pretty PO'd.

I'm not backing down, I still feel indignant rage over the attitude. It comes out because I gave my first and harshest FO bitch-slap over that exact issue.

Item ONE: It can happen to all of us.
Item TWO: You can't defend yourself, your performance, and your family against the breathless and stupid tabloid rants-- because you're dead.

Everything of importance and relevance will be issued eventually. Until then, a slice of humble pie washed down with a fresh mug of stufoo serves one's longevity far better than speculation.

There are so many things wrong with those two sentences- but the part that is making my blood boil right now is intent.

You intend to pore over the details of a deceased airline crew- for your entertainment. Don't deny it, this whole thing is to satisfy your morbid curiosity. So a CFI/II has to go without getting his jollies, pointing fingers at a flight crew and smugly (and all knowingly) deciding how much of a bad job they did. BFD.

When (IF) you ever make it to the real world of flying for a living, the dead last words you'll ever hear a captain (trust me, I know, I am one) say are: Gee, wouldn't it be great if they lifted the CVR ban?

If there is information within the investigation that points to an institutionalized problem, we'll all know about it because I guarantee it will make its way into EVERYONE'S recurrent training.

That's all the "deets" ya need, sport.

Well, besides one. A few dozen people are dead.

/peeved rant over

PM sent

Wish they'd lift the ban so we could read all those PMs. Then we'd know what's REALLY going on......

Wish they'd lift the ban so we could read all those PMs. Then we'd know what's REALLY going on......

Haha I was just giving a few jabs and avoiding the RED CARD from dough.

The other part of the PM that I can post was just talking about my interest in using the tapes as educational tools.

There isn't much that can't be learned from the transcripts over the tapes. Transcripts are more than sufficient for almost any educational purpose.

Back