Flight training, and college.

For those who have gotten their additional ratings at the local FBO while attending college, how was it? Was it a pain in the ass to balance both? Any advice? Thanks!

No more than it is to fly at the university. The only problem is financing - most student loans don't cover flight training outside of the university.

However, I will offer this advice: please, PLEASE don't major in aviation! You never know when things may go wrong. I majored in flight, got through my private, started on my instrument and ran into medical issues. I'm graduating with a degree in Aviation Science & Admin from WMU and I can't buy a job.

There will always be pilot jobs out there, and they don't give a crap what you majored in. Choose a major that interests you in a field that can get you a job should you lose your medical, or something else keeps you out of the air. If you absolutely love airplanes, I would suggest aeronautical engineering. However, any degree will do. Even dance is more useful than aviation science.

However, I will offer this advice: please, PLEASE don't major in aviation!
:yeahthat:
It's not too much of a pain to balance both. It up to the person as to how much they can push themselves and also how much of a sacrifice they can make when it comes to social life.

I didnt find it a pain at all. Then again I did most my training during summer just flying everyday. Its alot cheaper then going the college aviation route though. I would deff recommend it.

If you have a job, forget it, not going to happen.

However, school + flying isn't bad at all and very doable.

I did it...not too bad. Even worked full time for a good part of it. If I can you can.

Thanks for the replies guys :) I already know that I shouldn't major in aviation so don't worry :p I just kinda wanted to know how it was going to classes and doing homework, while heading to the FBO on your spare time to get the ratings.

Nothing wrong with majoring in aviation. If you get furloughed 10 years from now, a B.S. in Aviation is not much worse than a B.S. Computer Science, or whatever else someone is telling you to choose for a "backup".

A degree without experience ...especially if it has been years and years since you graduated, isn't worth what some people think it is.

Major what your interested in.

Well put propilot.

Both of my parents made careers of jobs they didn't have their degrees in.

I personally majored in what I was interested in and i am happy with that.
Many employers look at the paper the B.S. diploma is written on as proof that you can be trained to a higher level and nothing more.

In reply to your original question, I had little to no difficulty managing both. I had two years in there that I really enjoyed myself and during one of those years, did zero flying. BEER. BEER. BEER. TIDDLY BEER. BEER. BEER.
If you are not like me, which we all hope, you can finish your CFI by the end of your sophomore year easily and then start working your last two years as a CFI.

College is filled with down time. You can easily fit 3-4 flights a week, though it is you who has to motivate yourself.

If you have a job, forget it, not going to happen.

However, school + flying isn't bad at all and very doable.

Depends. I worked about 20hrs a week at the flight school(s) from which I got my ratings and loved it. Most of the time I just sat on my ass and studied or listened in on ground school.

I just took flying as another hobby...that was extremely dangerous and required a hell of a lot of work. But stepping in the airplane was definitely an escape from school and everyday bull ####. I was pretty active on campus otherwise and missed out on a solid share of drunken weekend #### shows, but if you're the kind of guy that doesn't mind doing things that you love non stop for 10+ hours a day it's definitely doable.

Back