Skywest Brasilia Jumpseat Question

JaceTheAce

I'm trying to go from SFO to SMF to visit my family (connecting through from JFK) and I hear the Brasilia has some weight restriction issues. The flight is overbooked by 1. Should I have any issues (regarding weight restrictions) getting on assuming no one else is listed for the jumpseat?

I've been bumped on a brasilia before, for this reason. I'm not sure on the specifics but if there are no half weights and a lot of bags you might be in trouble :(

As mentioned above... If it is full, your only hope is not many bags and lots of kids. Or, the rare occasion of an aft CG issue which a jumpseater in the actual can help with. Good luck though... you are going to need it.

Actually, I recommend connecting through LAX or somewhere where you can get on a big plane.

I don't fly the plane nor have I ever been on one so don't take what I'm saying as the be-all end-all.

But I do recall some SKW folks on here that fly it answering a similar question a while back and the gist of it was, if you need to sit on the jumpseat to get on the flight, it's not going to matter if the jumpseat is open because the flight will be too weight restricted for you to get on it.

That Embraer sure knows how to let 'em out of the factory! :p

The short answer is yes, you might have issues getting on even if the jump is open.

It can work, but like others said it can also be a bigger challenge than most other regional aircraft. Recently I have had two jumpseaters on full flights. (Both pilots going home.) In both cases the planes had some children ("Half weights") in the back, and bags were on the lighter side. Some planes have lower empty weights than others and that really helps too.

I don't think there is any way to give you a for sure answer for your flight. With any luck you might have a few misconnects or no shows and a few seats will be open in the back. Good luck!

It used to be easier in the past, but then PAX weights went up and CG's got tighter for the EMB 120

27 is a full boat

your only hope is kids that shift the cg aft but leave wiggle room for weight
In some Brasilias the jumpseater can make the CG work out when otherwise more pax would be bumped...

Good luck! It might help to ask the captain, the gate agents don't know about this...

Cheers
George

:yeahthat:

Its only about a 45 minute to an hour drive. I've done it many times.:)

It's more than 90 miles...you doing 120?

Count on a minimum of an hour and a half from SFO-Sacramento, a lot more if it's rush hour.

If you wanted, I could look up the Horizon loads from San Jose to Sacramento...I think we're still doing that flight. If that didn't work, you could go into Santa Rosa on Horizon and drive...it's not that much harder than SFO and it's a much nicer drive!

Hope that helps!

Does the BART or a train go out to Sacramento?

You can catch Amtrak from the Emeryville station, but I think you would have to take a bus from the closest BART station. It becomes a pain at that point.

I'd second trying to go through somewhere else. There's quite a few flights a day from Denver and a lot from LAX. There's a couple from ORD, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd connect somewhere else. This time of year SFO weather sucks which is going to add to the stress of jumpseating. Doesnt jetBlue fly to SMF non-stop from JFK? You could also try connecting in ATL, ORD, DEN, SLC, DFW, IAH, PHX, PDX, or SEA to get to SMF. Fly to RNO and drive is another option.

JaceTheAce, I fly the plane and this route often. I wouldn't bet on making this flight for several reasons. First, there are quite a few of SKW pilots that try to get on this flight home that will bump you. Second, we are often weight restricted with just 27 people and cargo. Third, zero fuel can be an issue.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I made it in last night at 7:15pm, just in time for Christmas dinner, which consisted of my grandma's homemade tamales, enchiladas, beans, rice, chile sauce, and a good time spent with family and friends!

I decided to take JetBlue from JFK to LGB, with a tech-stop (what JetBlue calls fuel stops) in SLC. Then from LGB to SMF. I barely made it on either flights as I had to occupy the jumpseat on all 3 legs. I was going to get off the airplane at SLC and try to hop on a Skywest CRJ900 flight from SLC to SMF, but it was full and the last flight direct to SMF that day. I figured a few Skywest pilots might be commuters between SLC and SMF, so I decided to keep going to LGB. I figured if I was stuck in LGB I could take the $20 shuttle to LAX and go from there on Southwest. Thanks to everyone at JetBlue for being so accomodating and for getting me home for Christmas!

If you wanted, I could look up the Horizon loads from San Jose to Sacramento...I think we're still doing that flight. If that didn't work, you could go into Santa Rosa on Horizon and drive...it's not that much harder than SFO and it's a much nicer drive!

Hope that helps!
I had no idea Horizon flew into Santa Rosa and from San Jose to SMF.

I'd connect somewhere else. This time of year SFO weather sucks which is going to add to the stress of jumpseating. Doesnt jetBlue fly to SMF non-stop from JFK? You could also try connecting in ATL, ORD, DEN, SLC, DFW, IAH, PHX, PDX, or SEA to get to SMF. Fly to RNO and drive is another option.
Yes, but it leaves at at 7:40pm or something - I'd arrive way too late for Christmas Eve dinner.
Awe...Jace back in SMF. Send me a PM sometime when you're in town, let's grab lunch.
Man, we've been trying to get this arranged for a few years now! I'm only here for 2 days, so when I come back to SMF in January, let's meet up and have lunch! Maybe go up in a 172 or something.

JaceTheAce, I fly the plane and this route often. I wouldn't bet on making this flight for several reasons. First, there are quite a few of SKW pilots that try to get on this flight home that will bump you. Second, we are often weight restricted with just 27 people and cargo. Third, zero fuel can be an issue.
Thank you very much for your insight. I'm glad I didn't chance it.

Back